Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I had a theory that taking our entire list, and concentrating on fitness and conditioning staff v line coaches to the Hub and compressed fixture situation would be a masterstroke of strategy and forward thinking, that theory is officially despatched to the scrapheap.

I did have exactly the same thought Mutts. Probably not on our Pat Malone.

I know it’s his first year, COVID, rookie coach, gameplan, existing s**t list but I’m not sold on his gameplan.
It defaults to the game being played in our back half when every other successful side does the opposite and works on stoppages in the forward 50.

I think we made the wrong choice and I hope I’m proven wrong but when the modern game is built on territory we are as weak as they come.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I know it’s his first year, COVID, rookie coach, gameplan, existing sh*t list but I’m not sold on his gameplan.
It defaults to the game being played in our back half when every other successful side does the opposite and works on stoppages in the forward 50.

I think we made the wrong choice and I hope I’m proven wrong but when the modern game is built on territory we are as weak as they come.

There's not many green shoots in terms of structure right now, that's for damn sure.

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Shaw was the easy choice to make and I can understand the decision because he ticked a lot of boxes but he has been left out to dry. Lots of injuries, lack of senior coaching support and of course covid, having said that his game plan needs work and updating. I wanted Ratten at the time to coach us and I still haven't budged from that opinion.

Shaw was the easy choice to make and I can understand the decision because he ticked a lot of boxes but he has been left out to dry. Lots of injuries, lack of senior coaching support and of course covid, having said that his game plan needs work and updating. I wanted Ratten at the time to coach us and I still haven't budged from that opinion.
I wanted Scotty Burns. His resume was more accomplished and I didn’t want a Malthouse/Roos/Longmire disciple.

For a defensive coach we sure do suck defensively. Forget the reduced game time we have a bottom 4 Defence for points against.

So even that doesn’t stick. I’d rather have kept up our offensive side.

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As Kingy said on 360, hasn't really had enough time to stamp his footprint on this side with everything going on.

I wonder if we had our time again if we would have tried to kept Leigh Tudor on for tacticial nous and a wise head.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think its safe to say now Shawry has the confidence of the Board to 'experiment' this season (the word experiment is alot better than the alternative T word usually used).

If we only win 1 or 2 more for the year then the Board wont judge him negatively on that.

His moves and selection have been strange lately and today's move to start Polec on Cripps can be put into that 'experimental' box.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Let’s see the direction he takes for the rest of the year?

He must start weeding out these pathetic mid tier players who have had long enough.

It might cost results, but time time start playing kids.

Will Walker and Murphy will be a start.

I wouldn’t mind us giving Perez a run later in the year, looks like the type of player we are screaming out for.

Hosie needs a shot. You can’t put a line through him without at least giving him a game to see what he can bring.

I feel the opposite. I don't see any structure to how we attack.

Thought again we had a few players with time and space not knowing what to do, not knowing where to be.

Thought again we had a few players with time and space not knowing what to do, not knowing where to be.
There is a massive confusion on when to be risk adverse and when to go.
The fact we have poor users of the footy makes the indecision twice as costly.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wonder if he's coached the fun out of the players?

There was a lot of talk last year of him not upsetting the apple cart and that he would put his gameplan into affect in 2020. The players played with freedom and seemed to really enjoy their footy in 2019 before he had his chance to apply his gameplay in 2020. Rhyce wasn't shy speaking about how he is more of a defensive coach and that's his main focus.

The players may be so focused on defensive structures and the rigidity of maintaining them that they feel like they can't play with any freedom.

I actually like Shaw, but I hope he isn't one dimensional and has clued onto the issue.

Should say that I think our list is rubbish- that's a pretty big issue.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ll put my hand up to say at the beginning I was really on board with what Rhyce was bringing to the table.

But this last 6 weeks has been really concerning with some of the bizarre selections, game day tactics etc.

Let’s hope we haven’t taken on someone way out of his depth, because this club can’t endure another coach who sucks the life out of this footy club.

I’m prepared to write this season off as experimentation and blooding youth, but you would hope we start seeing something positive leading up to next year.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think its safe to say now Shawry has the confidence of the Board to 'experiment' this season (the word experiment is alot better than the alternative T word usually used).

If we only win 1 or 2 more for the year then the Board wont judge him negatively on that.

His moves and selection have been strange lately and today's move to start Polec on Cripps can be put into that 'experimental' box.
Maybe this poster has it right ;)

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
As Kingy said on 360, hasn't really had enough time to stamp his footprint on this side with everything going on.

I wonder if we had our time again if we would have tried to kept Leigh Tudor on for tacticial nous and a wise head.
His footprint might be covered in s**t, thats what worries me...

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe this poster has it right ;)

Yeah I'm with you all the way there as well.

I'm surprised more aren't on board with that and some posters seem to have completely lost their bottle the last few weeks.

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dropping Polec was a gutsy call but to play Majak as the main forward in his comeback game is asking for trouble.
End of 2018 Majak was elite in defence and now in his comeback game he is starting at full forward. Real interesting.
Long bombs to Majak don't work. Especially at Metricon where big man struggle. Would prefer Walker to start forward and have Majak in defence.

Roo Beauty

Norm Smith Medallist
May 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dropping Polec was a gutsy call but to play Majak as the main forward in his comeback game is asking for trouble.
End of 2018 Majak was elite in defence and now in his comeback game he is starting at full forward. Real interesting.
Long bombs to Majak don't work. Especially at Metricon where big man struggle. Would prefer Walker to start forward and have Majak in defence.
Reckon this will happen anyway. Both have the ability to switch ends throughout the game - genuine swingmen.

Back