News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with the Tassie situation is it gets s**t upon from both sides. I’m all for the club doing what it has to in order to thrive but this situation is getting beyond the control of the AFL mouth pieces and we risk damaging the brand unless they step in and state their position clearly.

Hawthorn has more to lose than we do, they get substantially more from their games than we do. Their crowds when they play weaker teams at the MCG are terrible despite the access the MCC and AFL members have to the stadium. They don't cop the s**t we do because they have been getting results on-field. It is hard to take the course we have and be mediocre for so long, it looks like we are hanging on rather than building something.

I’m sure Gill will be in talks with Buckley. Finding a new city in which to sell home games will be difficult. Honestly, where is viable?

Over the next 5 years need to focus on ensuring that we’re financially viable playing 11 home games at Marvel. As the AFL pays off the stadium this should become easier. We need to create a strategy to aggressively grow the fan base.

I really like the Tazzie experiment. Our membership is soaring and heaps of hard-earned cash is being pumped into the coffins. Obviously playing 11 home games in Melbourne is not sustainable and so a semi-relocation to Tazzie seems the most logical next step.
The only problem is you can’t drive to Tazzie. Sure, u can sit in your car while crossing on the Spirit of Tasmania, but it’s not the same. Small price to pay I suppose. Big picture my friends, big picture.

I really like the Tazzie experiment. Our membership is soaring and heaps of hard-earned cash is being pumped into the coffins. Obviously playing 11 home games in Melbourne is not sustainable and so a semi-relocation to Tazzie seems the most logical next step.
The only problem is you can’t drive to Tazzie. Sure, u can sit in your car while crossing on the Spirit of Tasmania, but it’s not the same. Small price to pay I suppose. Big picture my friends, big picture.

You’re good value normally but this is not your best work at all. Relocation trolling needs to be a permanent ban lol I get so triggered by it

At least the drive to have their own team in Tassie is driven by their own state.
Gold Coast and Western Sydney was driven by AFL fear.

I have no doubt Tassie would be more successful then both GWS and Gold Coast combined.

I'm a selfish person and whilst I know it's wrong I will support any bullshit that suggests Tassie is not viable enough to support its own team.

The circa 3 million hole in our revenue is what concerns me.

A pokies venue should fix that

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

At least the drive to have their own team in Tassie is driven by their own state.
Gold Coast and Western Sydney was driven by AFL fear.

I have no doubt Tassie would be more successful then both GWS and Gold Coast combined.

I'm a selfish person and whilst I know it's wrong I will support any bullshit that suggests Tassie is not viable enough to support its own team.

The circa 3 million hole in our revenue is what concerns me.

A pokies venue should fix that

$3M and around 6500 members from memory. At our best, could we top 40,000 members if we lost all of our Tasmanian membership.

We have a potentially long timeframe to adjust, and many of the Board's actions should have us well prepared for the transition. Let's hope they get it right.

$3M and around 6500 members from memory. At our best, could we top 40,000 members if we lost all of our Tasmanian membership.

We have a potentially long timeframe to adjust, and many of the Board's actions should have us well prepared for the transition. Let's hope they get it right.
This is why pushing 50k members shouldn't be viewed as a pipe dream.

It's an insurance policy

Where does the $3m number come from?

I understood that our 3 games generated closer to $1.5m. $3m is closer to the number that Hawthorn get from 4 games in Launceston.

Also the $1.5m extra we generate thru Tassie games does not allow for the loss of membership revenue, seat sales etc from having less games in Melbourne.

If we call the real 'net' loss of revenue at $1-$1.5m then that is not significant in the context of the total financial turnover the club generates these days.

Sure - that revenue will have to be replaced - but a strong on field team leading to better local attendances, combined with an innovative Executive and Board concentrating on generating revenue and exposure for the club should enable us to replace that lost revenue within a few years.

In any event I imagine we would continue to sell 1-2 games interstate/overseas (we would find somewhere we haven't tried so far!) which would also replace some of the lost revenue (albeit not the lost membership).

Tassie wanting their own team is not a 'hell is freezing over' issue' for us - it just provides us with an opportunity to refocus our attention on using our brand and history to generate alternative sources of revenue.

Where does the $3m number come from?

I understood that our 3 games generated closer to $1.5m. $3m is closer to the number that Hawthorn get from 4 games in Launceston.
I've seen the figure of $3M bandied about, and I assume that it comprises the money we get from the Tasmanian government, other sponsorship, signage at the ground and match day takings. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the figure, and we'd all appreciate a more accurate figure if it's available.

I've seen the figure of $3M bandied about, and I assume that it comprises the money we get from the Tasmanian government, other sponsorship, signage at the ground and match day takings. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the figure, and we'd all appreciate a more accurate figure if it's available.

They still need to find another $47 million a year to field a stand alone AFL tram and then they need to assure the AFL they can sustain that for the next 20 years, before the AFL will show them the slightest interest.

I’m sure Gill will be in talks with Buckley. Finding a new city in which to sell home games will be difficult. Honestly, where is viable?

Over the next 5 years need to focus on ensuring that we’re financially viable playing 11 home games at Marvel. As the AFL pays off the stadium this should become easier. We need to create a strategy to aggressively grow the fan base.

The AFL owns Marvel stadium already so our earnings from home games there are unlikely to change much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL owns Marvel stadium already so our earnings from home games there are unlikely to change much.
It's interesting that despite this being the case it seems our returns have not improved significantly. Either Collo and his crew were not actually making as much as everyone thought or the AFL like the cash and are keeping it for themselves. I'd be interested to know when our deal is up at Marvel and see if we can't somehow leverage a better deal on the back of taking the product somewhere else. It would probably require getting in league with the Dogs and Saints to make it work.

* Up Idiot! :stern look

Gill has already stated that it would be a slow build starting with the introduction of an U18 and VFL side. This would give the AFL a clearer picture on local interest levels, participation numbers, corporate interest etc. If the state and it's inhabitants don't get behind these ventures with the knowledge that it is the building blocks to an eventual AFL side then it will never happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I called membership earlier today and cancelled all 6 of our memberships, 4 of which were going to be reserved seats. I feel sick, I’m upset and I feel bad for being that way to the really pleasant girl on the phone. 7 home games, with one of those no doubt falling in Mother’s Day, a match that I will never be attending... the value is not there. Combined with the fact that I don’t believe for a second that it will stop at 4.

I’m sad, my kids are furious... with me not the club.

Was it Dusty or Gaff on the membership cards that you cancelled?

Planning to go to the GWS game this year, as I'll be in Hobart at the time.

Can someone help me out with a suggestion for which ticket/area/stand is my best bet to be

A) undercover, and
B) close to somewhere to buy drinks

Many thanks.

I'm glad this thread has been bumped, even if the question asked above is not relevant to the thread.

With the way Melbourne-based members are being treated at the moment, coupled with the extra game now being sold to Tassie, does anybody ever wonder if the people currently running NMFC actually want to remain a Melbourne-based club?

I'm glad this thread has been bumped, even if the question asked above is not relevant to the thread.

With the way Melbourne-based members are being treated at the moment, coupled with the extra game now being sold to Tassie, does anybody ever wonder if the people currently running NMFC actually want to remain a Melbourne-based club?
Surely Attendance advice is relevant when it's in the title of the thread?

Also the answer is yes the do. They just lack the mettle to ditch the crutch of tas and go the hard route.
Right now is such a critical time for us with the suburb blooming with apartment buildings we need to be successful and have games here to gain these people as fans.. but the money from tas is easy, guaranteed and much faster to attain.

It's interesting that despite this being the case it seems our returns have not improved significantly. Either Collo and his crew were not actually making as much as everyone thought or the AFL like the cash and are keeping it for themselves. I'd be interested to know when our deal is up at Marvel and see if we can't somehow leverage a better deal on the back of taking the product somewhere else. It would probably require getting in league with the Dogs and Saints to make it work.

Clubs used to get something like 75% of a general admission price for reserved seat, premium or corporate box attendees, so a current 16 person corporate box would have got us $324 and would have made the old owners about $7,500 per box. From what little has been made public, the club now gets 75% of reserved, premium and corporate box revenue counted towards the gate.

The situation isn't going to improve dramatically if you bring 20k people to the game and most of them are paid members because the club already has 100% of that money, the only benefit they gain from members is any money you spend at the stadium. It should be a significant benefit if and when we can get a lot more people to the ground, it is why it is important that our membership expands here where people have access to the stadium. If we have 40k members and 5k are in Tasmania, 5k are in SA and 5k are in WA then we realistically only have 25k that have access to the stadium and a lot of those are probably not full 11 game access members, a fair chunk would also be kids/concession.

The deal we are on atm is not going to be good if 2019 is going to be the status quo of our football, however, if we can be a team where the is a lot of positivity ending one year and a high expectation of success the following year and we can grow our membership base, supporter base and attendances year on end then it will be fine. We have usually grown year after year for a long time but the last few years have been treading water or going backwards, I think there has been a loss in confidence in the board/coach/playing group. First comes the loss of confidence and reduced numbers, then come the pitchforks and the nooses if nothing is done about it.

Wouldn't be surprised if we walk away from the deal and redevelop Arden st into a boutique ground with 50,000 capacity.
Won't happen we will be at Marvel for a long time to come .
No new ground around the city if any ground is to be built it will be built for the benefits of other clubs not North's.
I think the ground will be built in the South East of Melbourne if it happens.

I'd be interested to know when our deal is up at Marvel and see if we can't somehow leverage a better deal on the back of taking the product somewhere else. It would probably require getting in league with the Dogs and Saints to make it work.

We don't really have a "deal" as such that we negotiate and we play where the AFL tells us to. We've tried previously to move to the MCG and the answer is no. We have zero control over our home ground at the moment. Our saving grace is that squeezing the lift out of us would destroy several other teams as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back