News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent post and i don't necessarily disagree Tas can support a team financially.

How is GC going? What about the orange *heads totally funded by the AFL?

I can agree that Tas might struggle to survive without support.

The fact these other two (basically completely funded by AFL to "grow the game") teams exist is infuriating to Tasmanian people, as those two clubs cannot either yet bizarrely have an AFL team.
Gold Coast and GWS are all about participation and TV rights. Tasmania having a team won't do anything to increase participation, and it won't do anything to TV rights unless there is a 20th team/10th game added as well.

Gold Coast and GWS are all about participation and TV rights. Tasmania having a team won't do anything to increase participation, and it won't do anything to TV rights unless there is a 20th team/10th game added as well.

I completely understand why AFL has made that decision.

Hence my "grow the game" comment with GWS and GC.

Doesn't make it acceptable though.

Money is only thing AFL cares about. Us (North) included.

Terrible organisation led by a guy who gets his perm done twice a week.

Last edited:
Hawthorn showing balls that our "club" doesn't possess. Again.

I do get a chuckle out of "addicted to Tasmanian taxpayer funds". Wouldn't this place be a 3rd world slum without Federal "taxpayer funds"?
Not unlike the City of Greater Bendigo.

It’s finally clicked to the club that on field success and an actual commitment to North Melbourne is the only long term guarantee of the club’s future.

The ONLY thing.

Meanwhile Carlton hasn't seen a prelim since 2000 and still get kissed on the dick. What a world.

We have always had to do it the hard way mate. Nothing has changed, and I welcome it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buckley: Our commitment to four games in Tasmania is a genuine one, and we don't intend to play any more.
Ben's body language around the Tassie questions seemed a bit uncomfortable I thought. It might be nothing, but that and the slightly equivocal wording, makes me think there's still more to play out here. He focused on genuine commitment to the current contract and doing our best to honour that, which is fine, but the longer term intention is still murky and I'd love to be a fly on the wall in AFL (and NMFC Board) discussions around this.

Ben's body language around the Tassie questions seemed a bit uncomfortable I thought. It might be nothing, but that and the slightly equivocal wording, makes me think there's still more to play out here. He focused on genuine commitment to the current contract and doing our best to honour that, which is fine, but the longer term intention is still murky and I'd love to be a fly on the wall in AFL (and NMFC Board) discussions around this.
I (for better or worse) feel that the club will do the right thing.

While we have any, any sort of relationship with Tassie the language that Ben and Ben use on the topic needs to be carefully considered.

I (for better or worse) feel that the club will do the right thing.

While we have any, any sort of relationship with Tassie the language that Ben and Ben use on the topic needs to be carefully considered.
I think it might be getting close to being overanalysed though.

I can give the club he benefit of the doubt with increasing from 3 games to 4. Hopefully, and realistically, we are just making the best out of a short term situation. The club has been consistent in their message and looking to grow the Arden st base. North and hawthorn would be working behind closed doors to get another 3-5 year deal.

But the afl obviously wants us to increase games across both cities in tassie. And then ultimately stay there. Look at the way it’s reported (or not reported). Buckley was asked twice today about increasing our games and he refuted it but no mention in afl.com article. Soft commercial draw as well, so the change of direction has been really sold well by the club imo. We just couldn’t go with the status quo.

Ben's body language around the Tassie questions seemed a bit uncomfortable I thought. It might be nothing, but that and the slightly equivocal wording, makes me think there's still more to play out here..

I can assure you there’s nothing sinister going on Kimbo. He 100% means it when he says we’re capped at 4 games down there. Nothing else at play.

I can assure you there’s nothing sinister going on Kimbo. He 100% means it when he says we’re capped at 4 games down there. Nothing else at play.
Just checking... did you play footy with him pre or post his AFL career? Kids go to the same school? Your wife is good friends with his wife? I know it's one of these or something similar.

Anyway, I 100% agree with you.

He also 100% meant it when he said we were capped at 3 games.

I think the two Bens handled it as well as could be expected. I think it is the first time anyone at the club said what everyone else knew for a long time, save perhaps JB & Dilena, that Tasmania want their own team.

We benefit from the partnership, we wouldn't want to say anything negative about it, what they said was fine imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back