News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

The government has ruled out the new stadium on two occasions,the plan is to upgrade York park to 27500 and it will host all the big games until Hobart gets more capacity either at Blundstone or maybe still a new stadium elsewhere in Hobart.

Understand the report says that, but then clearly says - Blundstone can't be increased to a appropriate size, and bangs on about how important the new stadium is. I'm not a Taswegian so not even going to pretend to understand the North/South divide, but I would have thought if you state from day one that all the big games are in Launceston and the small ones in Hobart you are setting yourself up some tension there - also don't really understand how you can justify two 25,000 seat AFL stadiums that will get used only 5 or 6 times a year each - assume the Hurricanes will play at at least one of them also, but even then it seems a big investment.

Here's a interesting tidbit buried in the Gemba report....
from a research piece asking existing members of AFL team who reside in Tassie:
If a Tasmanian team entered the competition would you:

Remain a member of my existing AFL club - 49% (this is in year 1, dropping to 32% by year 5)
not sure 32%
not continue existing membership - 18%

So maybe it not as simple as all of our Tassie members walking out the door immediately, having said that research based on hypothetical is always dangerous, I'd be curious to see if we over index for members from The Gold Coast or Canberra given our history.

It does also say that only 1% of Tasmanians consider North to be their favourite AFL team - so about 5,000 people.

Understand the report says that, but then clearly says - Blundstone can't be increased to a appropriate size, and bangs on about how important the new stadium is. I'm not a Taswegian so not even going to pretend to understand the North/South divide, but I would have thought if you state from day one that all the big games are in Launceston and the small ones in Hobart you are setting yourself up some tension there - also don't really understand how you can justify two 25,000 seat AFL stadiums that will get used only 5 or 6 times a year each - assume the Hurricanes will play at at least one of them also, but even then it seems a big investment.
Yes Cricket Tas have indicated that Blundstone can only be increased to 22500,so not big enough and I agree what you are saying about the big games in Launceston,it will not be popular down South.The new stadium will be a multi purpose stadium suited to Cricket,soccer and will be used for other events like concerts,so will definitly be used year round.

Labor puts Roos on the table in bid to land Tasmanian AFL team

North Melbourne players run through their banner at a North Melbourne versus West Coast AFL match at Blundstone Arena. Picture: MATHEW FARRELL

North Melbourne players run through their banner at a North Melbourne versus West Coast AFL match at Blundstone Arena. Picture: MATHEW FARRELL
BRETT STUBBS, Sports Editor
Mercury

Subscriber only
February 22, 2020 9:47pm
THE heat has just been turned up on the AFL – give Tasmania its own AFL licence or there’s no more taxpayer money for North Melbourne, the state’s alternative Government says.

The Sunday Tasmanian can reveal the State Opposition will announce on Sunday a new policy that would cut funding for all four of North Melbourne’s home games in Tasmania unless the AFL gives the Tasmania a licence or a start date.

Instead, an elected Rebecca White-led Labor government would redirect the Roos current Spirit of Tasmania sponsorship - believed to be more than $2 million a year - to Hawthorn. Government sponsorship of the Hawks would then be used on other sports and/or events in the South.

Mr O’Byrne said North Melbourne would still be invited to play home games in Hobart, but those matches would not be underwritten by the taxpayer.

“It’s clear the two current football deals are our key leverage point in negotiations for a licence for a Tasmanian club in the AFL, the Taskforce report spells that out,” Mr O’Byrne said

“Every step taken as a state must move us closer to achieving a licence for a Tasmanian club. What’s needed now is for the State Government to show the AFL there will be no more concessions.

“Labor supports the recommendations of the report, but without a clear committed pathway to a Tasmanian licence Labor does not support renewal of the sponsorship deal with the Kangaroos.

“This is not about the Kangaroos, this is about putting Tasmania first, and Labor believes there should be no further taxpayer funds allocated to them, without a pathway to a Tasmanian team in the AFL.”

It is a bold policy and the first time either of the state’s deals for AFL games has been put on the table as Tasmania ups the ante for its own team.
Hawthorn in Launceston and North Melbourne in Hobart play eight games a year in the state, picking up a combined $8 million of taxpayers’ money.

The report from a State Government taskforce charged with developing a business case for an AFL team in Tasmania does not say to cut the contracts but states: “Given the relative declining ‘interest’ in Hawthorn and North Melbourne’s Tasmanian content, coupled with Hawthorn publicly advising they have other options, the state should reconsider or at least revalue both ‘sponsorships’ upon their contract maturities in 2021.”

Premier Peter Gutwein said his Government was of the view that any new deals should support transition to the state’s own licence, however negotiations have just begun with the AFL.

“I hope that in Labor’s desperation for a headline, they don’t compromise the negotiations for a licence of our own, or the option for a transitional deal with North Melbourne who have been good corporate and community partners under the current arrangements,” Mr Gutwein said.

78b33f77ddd4bbd2c0bb605454752a9c

Opposition sports spokesman David O’Byrne said North Melbourne would still be invited to play home games in Hobart, but those matches would not be underwritten by the taxpayer. Picture: LUKE BOWDEN

Mr O’Byrne said Labor supported renewal of the deal with Hawthorn.

“This deal delivers real benefits to the economy of northern Tasmania, with people travelling from across the state and interstate to York Park. It’s an important part of the state’s events strategy,” he said.

“But unless we receive a clear commitment from the AFL on a timeline for a club of our own we cannot support more taxpayer funds being tipped into the North Melbourne deal.

“There’s not the same economic justification.

“This funding would be better spent investing in grassroots footy, growing women’s footy, and ensuring funding for events in the South of the state through the winter months to support the tourism and hospitality sector.

“Now is the time for a clear signal from the State Government to the AFL that we will not solve their problems for them, especially while they take Tasmanian football fans for granted.”

F**k that guy! I hope he wins the election. Time for us to pull up stumps and leave them with their empty stadium.

If he thinks giving Hawthorn an extra $2 million will get them giving anything more to Tassie he is kidding himself. Jeff Kennet will be rubbing his hands together.

I hope we follow up by doing everything possible to prevent a Tassie team getting off the ground. Ungrateful campaigner.

F**k that guy! I hope he wins the election. Time for us to pull up stumps and leave them with their empty stadium.

If he thinks giving Hawthorn an extra $2 million will get them giving anything more to Tassie he is kidding himself. Jeff Kennet will be rubbing his hands together.

I hope we follow up by doing everything possible to prevent a Tassie team getting off the ground. Ungrateful campaigner.
From what I gather the hawks wouldn't be getting any extra money, the spirit of tas sponsorship would replace government funding for their games.

I'm actually quite surprised at the venom from the opposition in this article. Reads like burning bridges while they're still in use.

Time for the board of directors to give us some semblance of a plan post Tassie.

From what I gather the hawks wouldn't be getting any extra money, the spirit of tas sponsorship would replace government funding for their games.

I'm actually quite surprised at the venom from the opposition in this article. Reads like burning bridges while they're still in use.

Time for the board of directors to give us some semblance of a plan post Tassie.
Is Spirit of Tasmania a government owned business?
Just wondering how he reckons he could tell them where to invest sponsorship/advertising money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just don’t know where they are going to get the players from. Not enough players coming out of Tasmania What they want Victoria to make up the extra players like Sydney.Brisbane, GC &Suns do.

Election due in 2 years down there - the Libs have been in for a while but the economy is performing well so it will be a close call as to whether the ALP get in - if they do it will be with the help of the Greens. It's a 50/50 call at this stage.

We got side swiped by politics in our quest to play games in Ballarat - we need to be in control of our own destiny in regards to Hobart.

My position has been clear for some time - we need to have a clear managed exit strategy - reducing our games year by year over the coming 3 years to zero.

The silence on this critical issue from our Board and new CEO is deafening.

Is Spirit of Tasmania a government owned business?
Just wondering how he reckons he could tell them where to invest sponsorship/advertising money.
It's government owned. But I'd be extremely surprised sure if they can just rip up the contract. The existing contract would need to be honoured.

The decision on the new deals will be made before the next election,which is 2 years time,the plan is for new 3 year deals for both North and Hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back