News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was just trying to gauge whether retaining club identity is more important to North fans than being able to watch your team play.

Obviously, in an ideal world you keep both, but the AFL (and Caro) have a clear agenda that they're pushing when it comes to your club and unfortunately I think given the financial problems the game is facing and the North Melbourne leadership not being as strong on the issue as the James Brayshaw days (my opinion from the outside looking in, please don't take the wrong way) there's a realistic chance that they get their way.

I know if my team was lining up for a 3rd flag in four years I'd be on another teams board talking about hypotheticals posed by an unreliable source that definitely doesn't have an axe to grind. And underwriting losses in a new market with a team with almost no debt and a trading profit in a pandemic doesn't make that much sense.

I know if my team was lining up for a 3rd flag in four years I'd be on another teams board talking about hypotheticals posed by an unreliable source that definitely doesn't have an axe to grind. And underwriting losses in a new market with a team with almost no debt and a trading profit in a pandemic doesn't make that much sense.

You would be surprised how many of them had their brains permanently broken by the Dusty saga.

I'm Tasmanian and it's blatant trolling pretending to be serious.

Could COVID-19 help rather than hinder Tasmania’s chase for its own AFL team?
Many thought the onset of the coronavirus crisis killed off any hopes of a Tasmanian AFL team, but Premier Peter Gutwein believes it may actually speed up the process. SEE THE PLAN + TIME FRAME >>
Brett Stubbs, Mercury

October 24, 2020 12:00am

TASMANIA will continue to pursue its AFL dream – and the COVID-19 crisis may open the door sooner than previously planned.

Premier Peter Gutwein has been in discussions with AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan recently and plans to ramp up the talks in the next four to six weeks after the dust has settled on the delayed, reduced 2020 season that has hit the big league’s coffers hard.

The government’s AFL Taskforce’s business case, released just prior to the COVID-19 outbreak, put in an aspiration of a 2025 time frame at a taxpayer cost of $7.3 million a year for 11 home games a season returning $110 million and 360 jobs.

“In terms of the current year and what next year looks like in a COVID-19 environment, those two factors will impact the AFL’s business model moving forward,” Mr Gutwein told the Mercury.

“But in terms of our aspirations and the time frame (2025) laid out in the Taskforce’s business case, I don’t see that will be pushed out.

“In fact there may be an opportunity to bring it forward – those are the discussions we need to have.

The government has also started talks with Hawthorn, while TT-Line’s contract with North Melbourne also ends after next year,

Combined they are worth $8m a season to the Hawks and the Roos for eight AFL games a season.

There has been rumblings in Melbourne that North Melbourne’s future lies in Tasmania, but Mr Gutwein said he had not had any discussions with the Kangaroos about them playing more games in Tasmania, and that the focus remained on the state securing its own licence.

He said he was focused on providing AFL content in Tasmania beyond 2021, but there was a caveat.

“I’ve always been of the view that the next contracts we put in place need to be contracts that provide a bridge to our next step and that would be our AFL licence,” he said.

“I’ve had discussions with Hawthorn as well recently, we started to discuss the 2022 year contract onwards and I’ve certainly indicated to (Hawks president) Jeff Kennett our desire hasn’t changed, our aspiration remains for an AFL licence.

“But obviously we need to sit down and work through this sensibly.”

Previous Hawthorn contracts have been over five-year periods, but Mr Gutwein said the length of the next deal would be worked out in conjunction with the AFL as to “what it sees the future for Tasmania and an AFL licence.”

Mr Gutwein would not say whether the next deal would also include a sponsorship component with the Hawks.

As a North man now in tassie(was Melbourne most of my life) the facts are a relocated team will never be wanted down here,everyone says the same thing if they don't get their own team they would rather no team,they just wouldn't support us.

They do not even support their own state teams which is why most have gone to the wall. Lets be realistic, most Australian third division clubs were pulling in way more money than Tasmanian state league clubs. How often has the local comp gone to the wall in recent times?

There is a small market that will support clubs like North and Hawthorn, there is a another group that would a Tasmanian team, but not a visiting team, but overall, I don't think there is the support there for 11 games so what that vocal minority want or don't want is irrelevant. If the AFL gives a license to Tasmania it will be looking at a similar annual bill that it faces from GWS and GC, that is to the tune of $35m a year directly and indirectly.

The AFL can't afford that, not now, not for a long time.

What's your problem with Tasmania having a team?

How does it affect you?
I can think of a couple

1. It drains the competition of money - there is no way Tasmania can support an AFL team economically without major cash from the AFL

2. It dilutes the talent pool of players

I can think of a couple

1. It drains the competition of money - there is no way Tasmania can support an AFL team economically without major cash from the AFL

2. It dilutes the talent pool of players

That may or may not be the case.

I just find it strange people hate Tassie getting their own team when ****ing GC and GWS have one.

Either way the hate towards it is disappointing.

That may or may not be the case.

I just find it strange people hate Tassie getting their own team when ****ing GC and GWS have one.

Either way the hate towards it is disappointing.
I hate GC and GWS too absolute crazy *ery that's diminished the competition majorly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't patronise me please.

Tassie clearly deserved a team before both and I understand why we don't.

Not patronising you at all, I simply don't think a Tassie team is guaranteed to be financially feasible, and even if it is it will just water down the product even more unless AFL house gets serious about s**t. GWS and GC completely ruined 5 years of drafts on top of spreading talent thinner than ever. A Tasmanian team would just be the same thing all over again.

Yep, North has a great future with Tassie in a mutually "friends with benefits arrangement" as it currently exists. North promotes and brings 3 AFL games per season to Hobart and supports football development via its academy program and gets paid $3 million per year in sponsorship for doing so. After all we needed something to offset losses when we disavowed ourselves from gaming revenue.

From the Herald Sun interview with Arch and Brady

MR: They’d also want to do their due diligence on North Melbourne. The finances? The incorrect reporting North Melbourne will play seven games or more in Tasmania next year?

GA: Again, the media absolutely does my head in. They are so lazy with their journalism. For them to point the finger at us about finances … we are as strong as any club in the competition. Debt is just about nothing, we’re posting profits every year, a profit this year and expect another profit next year.

MR: Where’s the Tasmania situation, Arch, because recent commentary would be concerning for members and fans.

GA: Again just being lazy, not doing your homework on the financial stability of the business. We’ll be playing four games. Locked in. There’s absolutely zero talk at our board table about going to Tasmania. We’re at Arden St. We’re just about to be part of one of the biggest urban developments the city has ever seen. And we are going to be a major part of it. It’s scaremongering commentary. And if you’re the coach coming in, you’ve got a terrific young list which I don’t think we’ve had the potential talent since the early 1990s, we’re financially stable and we will be part of the massive urban precinct which will set up the club forever, and Roosy will be there to help when needed.

From the Herald Sun interview with Arch and Brady

MR: They’d also want to do their due diligence on North Melbourne. The finances? The incorrect reporting North Melbourne will play seven games or more in Tasmania next year?

GA: Again, the media absolutely does my head in. They are so lazy with their journalism. For them to point the finger at us about finances … we are as strong as any club in the competition. Debt is just about nothing, we’re posting profits every year, a profit this year and expect another profit next year.

MR: Where’s the Tasmania situation, Arch, because recent commentary would be concerning for members and fans.

GA: Again just being lazy, not doing your homework on the financial stability of the business. We’ll be playing four games. Locked in. There’s absolutely zero talk at our board table about going to Tasmania. We’re at Arden St. We’re just about to be part of one of the biggest urban developments the city has ever seen. And we are going to be a major part of it. It’s scaremongering commentary. And if you’re the coach coming in, you’ve got a terrific young list which I don’t think we’ve had the potential talent since the early 1990s, we’re financially stable and we will be part of the massive urban precinct which will set up the club forever, and Roosy will be there to help when needed.

What are the neurotics going to do now?

Where will they get their fix?

Not patronising you at all, I simply don't think a Tassie team is guaranteed to be financially feasible, and even if it is it will just water down the product even more unless AFL house gets serious about sh*t. GWS and GC completely ruined 5 years of drafts on top of spreading talent thinner than ever. A Tasmanian team would just be the same thing all over again.

Some folks are under the delusion that the expansion markets are based on merit.

Some folks are under the delusion that the expansion markets are based on merit.

The AFL would have so little interest in getting a team in Tasmania that it might sneak into the top 500 things on Gil's to-do list.

They'll throw money at GWS and GC as they want a game in those states every week and the want (need) them to be successful.. They're not throwing money at a team in Tasmania when they have nothing financially to gain from it. What is the threat down there? It's a captive audience.

The AFL would have so little interest in getting a team in Tasmania that it might sneak into the top 500 things on Gil's to-do list.

They'll throw money at GWS and GC as they want a game in those states every week and the want (need) them to be successful.. They're not throwing money at a team in Tasmania when they have nothing financially to gain from it. What is the threat down there? It's a captive audience.
Basketball is the sport of the moment here currently, because of the "Jackjumpers", but certainly Soccer participation is strong.

Basketball is the sport of the moment here currently, because of the "Jackjumpers", but certainly Soccer participation is strong.

Participation is not relevant in Tasmania. How much more money would the AFL generate from media rights with a team in Tasmania?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back