News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been to Tassie twice, both times to watch the footy but stay a day or two longer and check it out. It has plenty of stuff that’s really nice and I thoroughly recommend anyone takes the opportunity to go while we are playing there.

I think the Tassie government is kind of full of s**t and is playing to the crowd. Blundstone is alright, I like the hill but it is bloody cold and badly needs to be upgraded. As a week to week proposition I would be pissed as a member of that was what was on offer.

If they really want to help grass roots invest in the local clubs and improve facilities. Invest in an academy so the kids improve and more make the grade. Claiming soccer or basketball will overtake the AFL is a call that has been made for the last 30 years and has fallen flat time and again when those sports s**t their bed.

I do agree Tasmania deserves a team but I reckon it’s always going to be a bit of a drain on the competition. They should have to show a model without government funding. I’d give them a VFL license and say make that work and then we might graduate you if it’s going well.

Im all for his ultimatum if it means we get our home games back, although the AFL will probably schedule them at Kardinia Park.

They need to show the AFL how the AFL itself would benefit ( as in extra $$$$, the only thing they care about) if Tasmania was included in the league. When/if they can actually do that, they would likely be invited to join. Until then, dream, dream, dream and talk,talk, talk.

I have been to Tassie twice, both times to watch the footy but stay a day or two longer and check it out. It has plenty of stuff that’s really nice and I thoroughly recommend anyone takes the opportunity to go while we are playing there.

I think the Tassie government is kind of full of sh*t and is playing to the crowd. Blundstone is alright, I like the hill but it is bloody cold and badly needs to be upgraded. As a week to week proposition I would be pissed as a member of that was what was on offer.

I like your post in general L72 and appreciate the kind words on the area.

I've heard this from Tas too. Why on earth would you be on the hill if a member?

You can if you choose but 90% are walk up general admin and not ideal unless a mild day game

The other stands, particularly opposite the grandstand, need a lot of work if they are to commit to a team imo

Of course would be updated if necessary.

But no point at the moment as it's more than enough for current needs.

Of course would be updated if necessary.

But no point at the moment as it's more than enough for current needs.
Bit of a chicken and egg situation..
Very hard to tell how much support a local team would really get when North games can't fill the seats hey.
I reckon the choices of opponents don't help matters though. If I have the choice of hosting Richmond in Marvel at twilight on mother's day or a random Saturday in tas I wouldn't be surprised if the latter drew a bigger crowd.

Jack jumpers might actually be a good test for how much support can be drummed up

Bit of a chicken and egg situation..
Very hard to tell how much support a local team would really get when North games can't fill the seats hey.
I reckon the choices of opponents don't help matters though. If I have the choice of hosting Richmond in Marvel at twilight on mother's day or a random Saturday in tas I wouldn't be surprised if the latter drew a bigger crowd.

Jack jumpers might actually be a good test for how much support can be drummed up

A Tassie team is no chance of happening so it's semantics anyway.

North attendance has no bearing whatsoever on what attendances could be. AFL think we are starved of AFL so people just turn up - ahhh, no, most take a 55min flight to Melb instead or watch on TV.

Jack Jumpers will struggle I reckon. Basketball has a small following

A Tassie team is no chance of happening so it's semantics anyway.

North attendance has no bearing whatsoever on what attendances could be. AFL think we are starved of AFL so people just turn up - ahhh, no, most take a 55min flight to Melb instead or watch on TV.

Jack Jumpers will struggle I reckon. Basketball has a small following
Yeah that's what I mean, the only way to actually see if a team would be feasible is to do it and support it for 40 years like the afl will end up doing with GC.

Also re. Basketball.. small followings yes but if they're playing at derwent they don't need more than 4,000 people which could work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not about talking about new stadiums, it's not about list after list of old footballers who came from Tasmania, it's not about photo after photo of politicians doing a kick or a handball and it's not about yet another photo of the Riewoldts, Tasmania needs to demonstrate to the AFL how the AFL will be financially better off if it is admitted to the league.

A mate from Tassie tells me thatTubes Taylor's claim to fame is that he once ate 6 pies with sauce at half time at a football match. (As a spectator). That's about it for him really.
Only 6!
As a young lad about 35 years ago I scoffed down 10 burgers at Maccas.
Haven't eaten 10 of them since though.

They need to show the AFL how the AFL itself would benefit ( as in extra $$$$, the only thing they care about) if Tasmania was included in the league. When/if they can actually do that, they would likely be invited to join. Until then, dream, dream, dream and talk,talk, talk.

Left Tassie 35 years ago. Population 450k. Now ~ 530K. Tassie government have been in the media that they hope to get to 650k by 2050.

We all had teams and watched all the VFL content available growing up.

Old population with average age 42. Not exactly going to have a baby boom any time soon.

They are up against it, particularly with the tv rights.

Not sure who is saying Tassie will get it's own team on here.

It wont but the Gov't wants change and rightly so.

I've heard this from Tas too. Why on earth would you be on the hill if a member?
I am a premiership club member and entry into the members bit (indoor) comes with the package. I once stood on the hill, it was cold but a great atmosphere, the next time we took advantage of the offer and went to the members area as the weather was significantly worse and I have to say I preferred the hill.

I am a premiership club member and entry into the members bit (indoor) comes with the package. I once stood on the hill, it was cold but a great atmosphere, the next time we took advantage of the offer and went to the members area as the weather was significantly worse and I have to say I preferred the hill.

That's fine but your comment implied members would have to be on the hill which is certainly not the case.

The Hill is great on a good day, that's why it's been left untouched just Adelaide Oval.

A 25-30,000 seat multi-purpose stadium at Mac Point with a roof.......... I'm in ;)

This would be the dream!
I have to wonder, if you guys were relocated, and if I was able to watch the Devils every second weekend if would my love for Essendon be a slow atrophy? I know if it was a stand alone team I would hop ship pretty quickly and would always have a soft spot for the Dons. I have always wondered how I would go with a North relocation. How are you all feeling about that? Would Victorian NM fans go for a Tasmanian Devils side? or would you just go for another VIC team/stop following AFL? My uncle who was a Fitzroy supporter slowly, but hesitantly switched to being a Brisbane fan and now loves them.

This would be the dream!
I have to wonder, if you guys were relocated, and if I was able to watch the Devils every second weekend if would my love for Essendon be a slow atrophy? I know if it was a stand alone team I would hop ship pretty quickly and would always have a soft spot for the Dons. I have always wondered how I would go with a North relocation. How are you all feeling about that? Would Victorian NM fans go for a Tasmanian Devils side? or would you just go for another VIC team/stop following AFL? My uncle who was a Fitzroy supporter slowly, but hesitantly switched to being a Brisbane fan and now loves them.
An interesting topic that has never ever been covered here before 👍

This would be the dream!
They would lose me forever, and id actively discourage their success out of spite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back