News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Its such a dumb fight to pick given the timing and economic uncertainty and most certainly tied to local politicsl ends.

Surely they don't expect this to be successful, so it has to be a chest beating exercise with legitimate excuses for its failure, ie the league not having the resources on hand to start a new franchise post covid.

My take is that the bloke is a very poor politician.

He should have got the VFL team up & running then built up a groundswell around it.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Its such a dumb fight to pick given the timing and economic uncertainty and most certainly tied to local politicsl ends.

Surely they don't expect this to be successful, so it has to be a chest beating exercise with legitimate excuses for its failure, ie the league not having the resources on hand to start a new franchise post covid.
The Premier has indicated that we need a new model because footy is dieing in Tasmania,probably better Puting the money into national Sports that are actually interested in Tasmania.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The Premier has indicated that we need a new model because footy is dieing in Tasmania,probably better Puting the money into national Sports that are actually interested in Tasmania.

This premier is an expert on the dynamics of AFL football in Tasmanian society?

He knows more about such things than the combined forces of the AFL?

Can you table any of his published works?

Well most people in Tasmania would prefer the Hawks and North deals to end,the Premier made it clear today if we don't get a yes or no from the AFL on a team it will be the end for the teams in Tasmania.

No, he said it would be the end of the current North and Hawthorn deals. There are 3 other AFL clubs circling the money. I don't have a problem with North Melbourne not playing games in Tassie, but what I do have an issue with is, where is that money going to come from now? I think that's a fair question....

I mentioned this below from my post on the 12th Feb, which surprisingly, know one picked up on the hint. Then Sam Edmunds obviously found out a week later, and ran with it.

The State Government are not looking for a team to be relocated, most of the current sitting members, follow their own AFL teams and coincidentally, a few of the older parliamentarians followed Fitzroy, so the "death" of an existing AFL club is not an option being entertained. But food for thought in all of the afore mentioned, St.Kilda are "reportedly", well over $12m in debt.......

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
No, he said it would be the end of the current North and Hawthorn deals. There are 3 other AFL clubs circling the money. I don't have a problem with North Melbourne not playing games in Tassie, but what I do have an issue with is, where is that money going to come from now? I think that's a fair question....

I mentioned this below from my post on the 12th Feb, which surprisingly, know one picked up on the hint. Then Sam Edmunds obviously found out a week later, and ran with it.

The State Government are not looking for a team to be relocated, most of the current sitting members, follow their own AFL teams and coincidentally, a few of the older parliamentarians followed Fitzroy, so the "death" of an existing AFL club is not an option being entertained. But food for thought in all of the afore mentioned, St.Kilda are "reportedly", well over $12m in debt.......

Good post.

So basically, Tasmania becomes a rotating welfare source for struggling Victorian sides who will never commit to relocation and serve no purpose to create a Tasmanian AFL team........and the "ultimatum" time line blows further out again.

........and this benefits the Tasmanian cause..............how?

I hope StKilda do end up down there, just so I can see Nick Reiwoldt's backflipping.

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
I'd be guessing North are getting a sh*te load more than 1.5 mil. out of Tassie, with sponsorship and government incentives.
In our current financial market, sponsorship is bloody hard to come by.
I'd heard two years
Good post.

So basically, Tasmania becomes a rotating welfare source for struggling Victorian sides who will never commit to relocation and serve no purpose to create a Tasmanian AFL team........and the "ultimatum" time line blows further out again.

........and this benefits the Tasmanian cause..............how?

I hope StKilda do end up down there, just so I can see Nick Reiwoldt's backflipping.
If a club having two home states again becomes an option, presumably the Saints would then become favourites.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My take is that the bloke is a very poor politician.

He should have got the VFL team up & running then built up a groundswell around it.

TBQH it's astounding that with the recent expansion/change of the VFL that Tasmania still didn't get a look in, instead they get a half dozen players rotating through for a handful of games with us? This agitating wasn't exactly hard to foresee (though I wasn't expecting ultimatum's in the middle of a pandemic).

If he get's a fully fledged VFL team out of this I'll applaud him, regardless of the bluster. That seems a much more attainable goal in the immediate future, and would also be a massive building block towards a full fledged AFL team (on top of actually helping the Tasmanian AFL scene, which shitcanning AFL clubs out of the state won't do anything for).

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
How is that superior leadership?

He's like the bloke who thinks he's about to get dumped who decides to get in first, just so he can say "she didn't dump me, I dumped her".

Yes, taking the initiative up to an opponent IS a trait of leadership.

Leadership would be working out a deal to benefit your club.
nah, saying stupid s**t that doesn't reflect reality and failing to get us to change our position. Leadership.

If we no longer have games in Tassie after this year how much money does the club lose and how will they cover the loss which would be a considerable amount of money...Surely they would need a lot more major sponsors....

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
If we no longer have games in Tassie after this year how much money does the club lose and how will they cover the loss which would be a considerable amount of money...Surely they would need a lot more major sponsors....

Zondor will sponsor Arden st for naming rights.
Heard he’s calling it ‘Up yours Tassie’

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I'm on the fence with the sponsorship money issue. Clubs were forced to drastically cut spend this year and last anyway, and I think there's every chance the AFL will try and keep that spending low for a little while in order for clubs to bolster their bank accounts to offset another potential disaster in the medium term. If that's the case then the loss of the Tassie sponsorship cash isn't a massive issue IMO.

It's a wait and see situation. Maybe Tassie caves but spitefully lower the cash offering, maybe we stay on 4 games with the current cash, maybe it all goes bye-bye, maybe we're exciting this year and with the prospect of a rise up the ladder and more exposure another major sponsor jumps onboard (I think we actually have a few gaps still, Ball sponsor being one!). Anything could happen. Ultimately though, if the member response in recent years hasn't made it clear enough, Tasmania's actions recently should make it clear to the board that an Exit Strategy IS needed, and needs to be available soon.

Did we play a game on the Map in 2020? No. So how much money did we receive from a Tassie Deal? No where near the amount that imbecilic types think we did. And did we still manage to make a profit? Yes. So there yah go. :stern look

Jeff is just trying to make the Tasmanian Government commit to Hawthorn before they hear either way from the AFL. He will try to get another 4 years out of them which will realistically be about as soon as the AFL will commit to letting them have a team.

He probably wants a contract in place that they then need to scrap if they do get a team which he will demand is paid out and compensated. He would know how to squeeze them for cash.

Kennett firstly says that Hawthorn could move permanently to Tassie and next week says if Hawks don’t get a new deal by such a date we are leaving Tassie for good.
The news makers know he is dial a comment to create a news story

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can't stand Jeff but I hope Gutsweiner realises he might've turned up to a gun fight with a knife.

Hawthorn can weather the storm of pulling out I'd guess, but Gutty will be left standing with his dick in his hand.
It's a strange tactic, they've effectively withdrawn support from both co tenants and are no closer to having a team of their own.
Best of luck to em I guess

Back