News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. Playing attractive football successfully is the best way for smaller clubs to get more prime time fixtures. Appeal to the neutral fans.

No AFL side plays attractive football any more, It's just that winning with an eyesore is far better than losing with one.

There is only one solution: WIN!

What I wouldn't give for a mid 2010's Hawthorn like era for our club right now.

Yeah it's a difficult one though. If the AFL doesn't pander to the broadcaster and give the big drawing clubs the primetime fixtures, then there's not enough broadcast $$ to keep the smaller clubs afloat. I guess they just need to find the right balance. Trying to introduce events such as Good Friday footy for the smaller clubs is a step in the right direction, but there has to be buy-in from the smaller clubs' fans if they want more of these opportunities.

From a business POV it makes sense. However, the AFL is supposed to be the governing body of a competition that is supposed to be fair and balanced towards all clubs.

I agree with the bolded to an extent, but you cant expect attendance numbers in a game between two small clubs to be on par (numbers wise) with a game between two big clubs, at least not at first. Hell, despite coming up with the idea and lobbying to get the Good Friday game for 20 years the AFL were trying to kick us out after the first year. Audiences don't just grow overnight and it's much much better for the comp long term if there is a relatively even distribution of support across teams (then any game can be marketed as a blockbuster :drunk:), but that is impossible to do when we aren't given the opportunity.

Yeah it's a difficult one though. If the AFL doesn't pander to the broadcaster and give the big drawing clubs the primetime fixtures, then there's not enough broadcast $$ to keep the smaller clubs afloat. I guess they just need to find the right balance. Trying to introduce events such as Good Friday footy for the smaller clubs is a step in the right direction, but there has to be buy-in from the smaller clubs' fans if they want more of these opportunities.

This argument is pretty flimsy when you consider that less revenues coming in would simply mean less money to inflate player wages or less to spend on unnecessary yet very expensive football department gadgets that don't seem to ever help footballers kick straight. The AFL and bigger clubs convinced smaller clubs to let the bigger clubs expand the overall revenues with the promise that the small clubs would share in the largesse. The small clubs become dependant on this form of subsidization because any attempts to innovate are quickly taken away from the small clubs once the idea proves successful. If every club was given equal access to prime time and marquee games, the overall revenue would be reduced but all clubs would be independent. What bigger clubs don't realise in their hubris is that by forcing small clubs to be dependent upon the AFL for survival, the small clubs never oppose AFL policy. That inevitably impacts upon bigger clubs.

What I wouldn't give for a mid 2010's Hawthorn like era for our club right now.

From a business POV it makes sense. However, the AFL is supposed to be the governing body of a competition that is supposed to be fair and balanced towards all clubs.

I agree with the bolded to an extent, but you cant expect attendance numbers in a game between two small clubs to be on par (numbers wise) with a game between two big clubs, at least not at first. Hell, despite coming up with the idea and lobbying to get the Good Friday game for 20 years the AFL were trying to kick us out after the first year. Audiences don't just grow overnight and it's much much better for the comp long term if there is a relatively even distribution of support across teams (then any game can be marketed as a blockbuster :drunk:), but that is impossible to do when we aren't given the opportunity.
The Good Friday game has suffered because the AFL can't decide who they want to play you guys. It needs to be the same team every year to create a big blockbuster event.

I like Essendon in that role personally because there's already an existing rivalry to build upon.

This argument is pretty flimsy when you consider that less revenues coming in would simply mean less money to inflate player wages or less to spend on unnecessary yet very expensive football department gadgets that don't seem to ever help footballers kick straight. The AFL and bigger clubs convinced smaller clubs to let the bigger clubs expand the overall revenues with the promise that the small clubs would share in the largesse. The small clubs become dependant on this form of subsidization because any attempts to innovate are quickly taken away from the small clubs once the idea proves successful. If every club was given equal access to prime time and marquee games, the overall revenue would be reduced but all clubs would be independent. What bigger clubs don't realise in their hubris is that by forcing small clubs to be dependent upon the AFL for survival, the small clubs never oppose AFL policy. That inevitably impacts upon bigger clubs.
Money is always the biggest motivator unfortunately. Try convincing the players that they should take less money for the sake of a fair and independent comp.

Smaller footy department caps make it easier for clubs in smaller markets to thrive, which I like because it strengthens Tasmania's business case.

I maintain I want all deals cancelled at end of the year.

It appears this is unlikely as AFL backpedaling but it must look very different.

I maintain I want all deals cancelled at end of the year.

It appears this is unlikely as AFL backpedaling but it must look very different.
Yes we already know you’ve “cancelled” your deal or pledge or whatever to grant Pykie’s dying wish and hand over $250 to the club and that. :stern look

Yes we already know you’ve “cancelled” your deal or pledge or whatever to grant Pykie’s dying wish and hand over $250 to the club and that. :stern look

Is Pykie dying?

Sad to hear.

Stop harassing me. I'll decide and let Luke know

I'm thinking
125 to Luke and sponsorship.
125 to Huddle.

If Luke72 happy with that I'll do it no worries.

Do it tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey no pressure, it's your cash, but everyone is welcome in the Player Sponsorship and all donations are most appreciated. I hope this doesn't mean the catch up is off, Nate7 was keen to meet sachx

Cool mate but I don't understand.

Are you saying yes or no?

I want to contribute to the Huddle or are you against that?

yeah it seems to be an argument of rolling maul v keeping's off.

The coaches wrecked the game. They took the initiative away from the players and now utilise them as drones from the coaches box.

Hey no pressure, it's your cash, but everyone is welcome in the Player Sponsorship and all donations are most appreciated. I hope this doesn't mean the catch up is off, Nate7 was keen to meet sachx
Don’t confuse him Luke. He promised and he should hand over the $$$. The End. :stern look

I can't PM you for some reason, can you check your settings. As a bonus you get entered into the Player Sponsorship contests and get premium BF membership. If you send me a message I will reply

I won the poll and I get the prize.

Luke72 I know you'd prefer 250 for sponsorships but just to confirm I'm also passionate on diversity being from Tassie so can I do both?

I can't PM you for some reason, can you check your settings. As a bonus you get entered into the Player Sponsorship contests and get premium BF membership. If you send me a message I will reply

Nah you can't as banned. Arden and I are great mates......

I'll find you mate if you agree and sort it.

The Huddle easy done

Hey sachx, can you PM Luke, Bozos Email address so Luke can email Bozo? Thanks in advance. :stern look

Remove this Banner Ad

Back