News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it's a difficult one though. If the AFL doesn't pander to the broadcaster and give the big drawing clubs the primetime fixtures, then there's not enough broadcast $$ to keep the smaller clubs afloat.

Here's where I disagree.

You see the smaller clubs already run a tight ship when it comes to finances. As we've seen with last year with Covid, a lot of the bigger clubs suffered more the than smaller clubs when it came to less revenue.

The richer clubs start an arms race, they have to keep up with each other. One club can afford to employ someone to wipe the arses of the players when they take a s**t, another will follow.

Luke72
Send your BSB and AN to a mod and they'll find me.

I'll try and log back in but it usually doesn't work to open up PMs

Luke72

I believe you would need to do this for it to work. At least that is what I was told. I passed the details on to TFW, hopefully that helps 👍

Snake_Baker looks like I owe you a hooker (a less fancy one than you might’ve been hoping)

Luke72

Chop, we told you. Log out and in again and your PM’s are back. We can’t PM you until you do this.

Snake_Baker looks like I owe you a hooker (a less fancy one than you might’ve been hoping)

Take your pick...

15b98cdaac1545740882697fc28263251da1ae43
6d1d4505c0f46401ebef70717043e0907e7985a9

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take your pick...

15b98cdaac1545740882697fc28263251da1ae43
6d1d4505c0f46401ebef70717043e0907e7985a9

1) Sex with a hooker requires an erection on my behalf.
2) I suppose I can always put a mop on Whateley's head and see how that works out.

The Dogs were pretty clever changing their name I think, Its given them an advantage I think competing for fans in these new areas
In 1998 the club floated the idea of re-branding us as the "Northern Kangaroos", but the AFL wanted us to play in Sydney to test the waters for a second NSW team and seemed to think that doing the Canterbury Bulldogs thing of being the no fixed abode "national brand" was the way to go about it, one of the most horrendous and short sighted ideas in the history of the league, but to be honest I'm not sure the Northern Kangaroos would make much difference in us drumming up business in new markets/areas in the 2010s as the Gold Coast fiasco made us damaged goods in alot of peoples eyes

In 1998 the club floated the idea of re-branding us as the "Northern Kangaroos", but the AFL wanted us to play in Sydney to test the waters for a second NSW team and seemed to think that doing the Canterbury Bulldogs thing of being the no fixed abode "national brand" was the way to go about it, one of the most horrendous and short sighted ideas in the history of the league, but to be honest I'm not sure the Northern Kangaroos would make much difference in us drumming up business in new markets/areas in the 2010s as the Gold Coast fiasco made us damaged goods in alot of peoples eyes
I understood at the time this was an AFL driven idea rather than a club initiative.

Carter is in the Doc Aylett camp for expansionism so Tassie will be given a good chance to get a fair hearing with him - the odds of them getting their own team in 5 years time just improved a bit.

Tasmania’s push for a stand-alone team in the state has taken another step forward with Colin Carter appointed to review the business case for the team with the former Cats president and AFL commissioner to complete his report within the next few months.
Tasmania is pushing for its own AFL side.

Tasmanian premier Peter Gutwein, Hawthorn’s Jeff Kennett and North Melbourne’s Ben Buckley agreed to the AFL’s recommendation that Carter conduct the critical review which will determine whether the business case for a 19th team in Tasmania stacks up.
The decision comes after Gutwein said the state would not renegotiate agreements with the Hawks or the Kangaroos to play home games in Tasmania beyond 2021 unless the state was given a clear timeline towards a licence being granted for a Tasmanian team.
His decision prompted Kennett to entertain the idea of Hawthorn relocating to Tasmania, an option North Melbourne ruled out.

Both clubs are contracted to play four games in Tasmania each season.
The review will be completed mid-year with club presidents to then assess its recommendations post-season and the viability of a new team entering the competition.

Gutwein said he was confident the case would stand up and he was optimistic there could be a team playing out of Tasmania in 2026.
Carter finished up as Cats’ president at the end of last year after 35 years involved in the game as a consultant, AFL commissioner and Geelong board member, with the highly respected administrator referred to as the “father of the modern game” because of his role in transforming the game during the late ’80s.

The AFL said in a statement that their strategy team, “led by executive general manager Walter Lee, would also provide support to Carter as he looked into the requirements and pre-conditions for a successful and sustainable team and the impact on the competition of a Tasmanian team, if a licence was granted”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back