News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

.....neutral Tasmanians wouldn't want to attend a game like this...........

Neutral Tasmanian's don't appear to attend any games of football.

It's a fallacy that a Tasmanian side is required to fulfil an existing market, a Tasmanian side is required to create one.

Usually can't see much grass on the hill, today couldn't see many people.

I understand the argument that neutral Tasmanians wouldn't want to attend a game like this, but gee it could be a massive own goal considering what is on the line for the state.

So they're going to go to federal government and ask for tens of millions if not a hundred plus million for a stadium capable of hosting consistent AFL level games on the back of 3k rocking up.

They're not making it easy on themselves.

Doesn't seem to be much of a market for football in Tasmania. Perhaps the AFL should look more closely at Darwin for the next license.

Will run into the same stadium issues.

Doesn't seem to be much of a market for football in Tasmania. Perhaps the AFL should look more closely at Darwin for the next license.
The game was only confirmed a week ago plus no Victorians allowed in and the game starting at what is considered to be a bad start time of 3:20 plus a poor drawing fixture leaves you with a poor crowd.

I think the biggest factor that contributed to such a poor crowd today was that it was only confirmed a week ago,a number of the Sydney games recently that were confirmed at the last minute were also poorly attended.

Usually can't see much grass on the hill, today couldn't see many people.

I understand the argument that neutral Tasmanians wouldn't want to attend a game like this, but gee it could be a massive own goal considering what is on the line for the state.
Here's the thing though, the Hobart agreement is with North, so when North are playing bad the fixture is always gonna be ho-hum..
This fairweather turnout is as strong as any argument for us to pull out of tas.. we could have gotten a bigger crowd at Arden st than Hobart could muster today.

The game was only confirmed a week ago plus no Victorians allowed in and the game starting at what is considered to be a bad start time of 3:20 plus a poor drawing fixture leaves you with a poor crowd.

There’s a touch of Uncles Denis’s if your Auntie has whiskers she’d be your Uncle about this.

Here's the thing though, the Hobart agreement is with North, so when North are playing bad the fixture is always gonna be ho-hum..
This fairweather turnout is as strong as any argument for us to pull out of tas.. we could have gotten a bigger crowd at Arden st than Hobart could muster today.
Probably not with the current restrictions...

I don't know how they calculate our takehome for these games, but I don't think a small crowd would have hurt us that much considering how much we get paid in sponsorship dollars for rocking up.

FWIW I fully support us having a rock solid exit strategy for the State locked in, but with COVID ******* everything right this minute I'm pretty thankful for the current agreement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The North Melbourne chief was talking on radio yesterday and said a poor crowd today makes no difference on whether they sign a new deal,he said he thinks it would be unfair to judge Hobart on a poor crowd considering its a Covid affected year and the other factors going against this match.

The North Melbourne chief was talking on radio yesterday and said a poor crowd today makes no difference on whether they sign a new deal,he said he thinks it would be unfair to judge Hobart on a poor crowd considering its a Covid affected year and the other factors going against this match.

You have unintentionally hit the real issue.

The turn out doesn't matter because we make money regardless.

If we had a straighter deal out of Docklands North probably wouldn't be playing games in Hobart.

Kids basketball comp in Launceston and soccer in Devonport. Half of Hobart was in the North of the state. It was a battle for me but made it back for the 2nd half.
And don't forget how many go to the East Coast for the long weekend.....

I get it, but crowds are trending downwards everywhere, restricted capacity at certain stadiums doesn't help either.

Will run into the same stadium issues.
Dar
And don't forget how many go to the East Coast for the long weekend.....

I get it, but crowds are trending downwards everywhere, restricted capacity at certain stadiums doesn't help either.
Restricted capacity has nothing to do with this crowd though because it was at 75 percent capacity for this game.This game and the last in Hobart were both confirmed very late and a 3:20 start time has never been a good start time for a game allthough we did get over 12000 at the same time for a North vs West Coast about 5 years ago so I'm not sure.

The ones that did turn up were very pro North, that was easy to hear.

I loved that! Booing at the umps, total silence when the Giants scored. A real highlight.

Hard to take today's attendance seriously. We all know about Covid, and the government carrying on all the time I imagine would put a dampener on things. Plus we're bottom, plus we keep playing unpopular teams, plus if I was a Taswegian I'd dislike GWS and GC on principle. It all adds up. And then you throw in a season where Richmond pulls 19k against the Giants playing at Marvel...attendances are a very long way from recovery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back