News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

Refute a seemingly (unless I’ve missed soemthing) blatant lie that could hurt our financial negotiations?

At the very least it deserves a statement that asks her to clarify where and when the club said that.

When's the last time a North admin had the stones to do something like that?

The 19th licence stuff is funny when you think about it.

Especially when the recipients of the 17th and 18th range between 7 shades of shithouse and underperformed.

I don't know where I stand on it. I find it so hard to have faith in any of the things either party says about the viability of a Tasmanian team. Can only hope that the 'right' choice is made, even if it just ends up being a coincidence it was the one chosen. I probably err on the side of thinking a team would probably be viable, in and of itself, in the long term but even then I'm not sure if it's the best choice for the league.

It also has to be said that I really would not enjoy another thinning of the AFL talent pool nor more compromised drafts.

I don't know where I stand on it. I find it so hard to have faith in any of the things either party says about the viability of a Tasmanian team. Can only hope that the 'right' choice is made, even if it just ends up being a coincidence it was the one chosen. I probably err on the side of thinking a team would probably be viable, in and of itself, in the long term but even then I'm not sure if it's the best choice for the league.

It also has to be said that I really would not enjoy another thinning of the AFL talent pool nor more compromised drafts.

IMHO the deck is currently stacked against any expansion.

The only way it happens is if it drastically alters the TV product and would have significant impact on the TV revenue.

Until that is on the table, I doubt expansion is.

Well both parties are wanting to re-sign the deal so it definitely looks like it will happen but you never know.
LOL. * you’re full of it. You have no idea. “Definitely Looks Like” “But you never know”. You strike me as one of these clowns who is that indecisive that you can’t work out which hand to wipe your arse with. :stern look

IMHO the deck is currently stacked against any expansion.

The only way it happens is if it drastically alters the TV product and would have significant impact on the TV revenue.

Until that is on the table, I doubt expansion is.
Agreed. I think the viability of the team itself is only one of many factors that play into the decision, and considering the AFL is being forced into this with their arm held behind their back I can't imagine they see the other factors in a favourable light. It's quite conceivable that the favourable business case that has been presented is actually accurate, but the AFL declines it anyway.

Bit of a bitter pill to swallow for Tasmanians and I don't think they're wrong to strongly suspect the decision is all but inevitable. I might have some respect for the AFL if they turn it down but give an honest explanation for why. Odds are though that they'll just do all their talking behind closed doors, let the other clubs vote against it, and then wipe their hands of it with some mealy mouthed lines about the business case not standing up.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs because I genuinely believe that Tasmania should have been offered the chance to join before GC and arguably GWS too.

LOL. fu** you’re full of it. You have no idea. “Definitely Looks Like” “But you never know”. You strike me as one of these clowns who is that indecisive that you can’t work out which hand to wipe your arse with. :stern look

Wait doesn’t everyone use both

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One thing you can trust the AFL on is it’s just too risky to add a new club financially with COVID goings on etc.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

LOL. fu** you’re full of it. You have no idea. “Definitely Looks Like” “But you never know”. You strike me as one of these clowns who is that indecisive that you can’t work out which hand to wipe your arse with. :stern look
Alt account confirmed.

Agreed. I think the viability of the team itself is only one of many factors that play into the decision, and considering the AFL is being forced into this with their arm held behind their back I can't imagine they see the other factors in a favourable light. It's quite conceivable that the favourable business case that has been presented is actually accurate, but the AFL declines it anyway.

Bit of a bitter pill to swallow for Tasmanians and I don't think they're wrong to strongly suspect the decision is all but inevitable. I might have some respect for the AFL if they turn it down but give an honest explanation for why. Odds are though that they'll just do all their talking behind closed doors, let the other clubs vote against it, and then wipe their hands of it with some mealy mouthed lines about the business case not standing up.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs because I genuinely believe that Tasmania should have been offered the chance to join before GC and arguably GWS too.

There are many problems that the state/s would need to overcome for them to be viable.

Setting up a 19th (and even 20th) team would require a long term commitment into their viability. I mean GC is a decade old and they, only a couple of years ago, were granted a huge amount of talent concessions again through the draft and their recruiting zones. It is a clear consistent drain on talent building these things.

There is the question of stadium, Cararra was given a $125m upgrade for GC entry. This would require 2 things, Tasmanian Politicians deciding which city gets the team and then a commitment of money to upgrade the stadium accordingly. Any Tasmanian stadium would need a view to being able to house finals. They would need to upgrade one of York Park of Bellrieve and more than the piecemeal cash they have flowed into them at this stage. I have gone through this before but the Cash their state government has given either stadium individually is around the same amount the Vic government has given Ballarat.

There is then the cash that is actually needed to set up the team, the administration, even if they Government tips in for facilities there is another significant cost for this. The AFL or Tas Government would likely need to have the cash to support this team as an ongoing concern until a time where it became ongoing financially viable. So they would likely need to overcome any North/South stuff, have a stadium that they sold out even when lower drawing sides (the sides we are being criticised for not drawing a crowd to).

The AFL would need to opt into to having another significant drain on funds, at a time where they have had to take out significant lending to ensure viability of what they already have.

On being offered the chance before GC. Maybe. The Queensland Government committed a shitload of cash themselves to getting it up and running. If Tassie stumped up a bunch of cash and ensured the teams viability, it is a different conversation. There is a shitload of risk for the AFL to take on to bring in another club. Whenever you dilute the talent you dilute the product that they are selling. The AFL is a business. And we can look to onfield and say the GC may not have been the best choice (I mean we all know the reasons we wouldn't want our team there), but the QLD government came to the party.

Honestly if I were the AFL and I was looking to bring in a 19th team, I would be seriously looking into a 3rd team in Perth or Adelaide. Following to a degree what they did with Port but doing it properly. Not sever ties only to be reunited. Study the WAFL or SANFL, work out the team that would be most viable for promotion and see about making that work. It doesn't give a new state a team, but it'd cut start up costs significantly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s more about * than hawthorns in this case. Never played down there, their Tasmanian supporters would be beside themselves.

Crowd seemed 80% * fans on telly. I remember we had big crowds on the couple times we'd brought down the Tigers too, so not surprising.

I'm OK having small crowds in tassie, as long as we make more $'s than hosting GC, GWS, Freo, etc in Melbourne.

Yes it's quite ridiculous anyone suggesting that the AFL should schedule the big drawing Melbourne clubs to play in Tasmania. We depend on home games against the likes of Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon. We don't want to play them in Hobart.
I think the government will want a bit more from the next deal because one of the big reasons they pay for these games is to bring tourists in and that doesn't happen when you play Gold Coast or GWS.

I think the government will want a bit more from the next deal because one of the big reasons they pay for these games is to bring tourists in and that doesn't happen when you play Gold Coast or GWS.

We have never played Gold Coast there, so playing them down there in a pandemic is not exactly representative of what it cold be.

And in 2019 there were only 1k less when we played GWS vs when we played Melbourne.

Right now the issue with tourists has a significant amount to do with border restrictions.

You have mentioned multiple times about us re-signing to play games there. I presume you are right because we make money off it.

For the attendance, we are on the bottom of the ladder. The wheel will turn because our club is neither Carlton nor Melbourne and when it does and we are winning and a more realistic shot and being a high end finals side then attendances will increase. Across the board.

I am not sure what you are wanting, 3 Melbourne based clubs to play down there? This would render the whole point for us playing there moot. It honestly is bad enough that we are playing 2 Victorian sides down there this year. 1 of which was flying and Slowbart could only muster 6k to.

I’m no lawyer but at a time when financial negotiations are taking place, a media personality seemingly making up that we are on record as disparaging our Tasmanian partners might need to be looked at.

Not sure what this does for the stereotype that North supporters are a bit sensetive lol

Not sure what this does for the stereotype that North supporters are a bit sensetive lol
About Caroline Wilson making s**t up to make us look bad in the public eye. Yeah, some of us are a bit sensitive about that for some reason...

Yeah I can see the Easter Monday cats v hawks game getting moved there - heck why not the Anzac game too.
Hope your second head has a working brain

It is a deal after all. It needs to benefit both parties and not just North. If we continue to get low drawing fixtures down here the government will either offer less for those games, or pull the whole thing altogether. Especially if the AFL says no to getting our own team.

The Government down there is probably quite happy, it's only taxpayer's dollars they are giving us and the Premier and or other politicians get to have their photo taken doing a handball. That is probably the main thing for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back