News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be a one year contract to play in Tassie

Herald Sun - Wednesday, 28 Jul 2021 - Page 72

Copyright © 2021 News Pty Limited

View attachment 1189282

Sent from my iPad

I do not think it is in the best interest of either Hawthorn or North to extend the deal for one season, if it looks like they are just treading water until they get a license how much is there to gain for the club to just go on with it until we are told to shove off?

Tasmania has made their play for their own license, so there is no future in Tasmania. Let the current deal elapse and return home. The focus needs to shift towards getting our supporter base back into the mindset of turning up every week, this is our number one challenge because decades of selling games has turned the club into a bunch of TV watchers because of the unreliability of home game access. We need to change that mindset and it will be easier to do getting people on what is a rapidly improving young team.

Kennett may be insufferable, but it would be in both our clubs interest to work together so the AFL and Tasmania can't play us off against the other. We should both have a take on what is an acceptable deal that is in the interest of both our clubs, or we should both walk away.

I do not think it is in the best interest of either Hawthorn or North to extend the deal for one season, if it looks like they are just treading water until they get a license how much is there to gain for the club to just go on with it until we are told to shove off?
Exit strategy should be on the top of the list on the commercial side of the club. While I do not believe that there is a license going to Tassie in even the near future it is clearly what is at play and what they want. So we need to plan for it. If the time is now we need a plan, if the time is in years we need a plan. IMHO Tassie only offering a 1 year deal is short sighted rom them and is probably at odds with a timeline the AFL have in mind. I mean they have more clubs than ever that will require assistance now. As a league we are barely recovered from the talent drain of establishing 2 new sides. The idea that we should just plunge back into to establish another is hard to fathom, especially as it is unlikely that it would be just 1 because that does not a lot in terms of product development. 2 teams alters the product being sold by the AFL. Potentially not in a good way though, as I am not sure advertisers will be rushing out to buy airspace in newly formed shitkicker teams. Which is exactly what any Tassie +1 side would be initially.

All of that takes none of the logistics stuff that would need to be answered, like what stadium and where which is conversations and funding Tassie don't have.

Tasmania has made their play for their own license, so there is no future in Tasmania. Let the current deal elapse and return home. The focus needs to shift towards getting our supporter base back into the mindset of turning up every week, this is our number one challenge because decades of selling games has turned the club into a bunch of TV watchers because of the unreliability of home game access. We need to change that mindset and it will be easier to do getting people on what is a rapidly improving young team.

we would need 2 things.
1) Melbourne member focus.
2) Win

1 has been an issue. which plays out every year repeatedly. only need to look at the membership thread to see it. Die hard fans celebrating breaking the membership record intermixed with exasperation and simple failures for things like GET MY GODDAMN EMAIL RIGHT.
2 We need to win. A lot. We need to be walking into games with the expectation we are going to win. Scum home game where tis packed to the rafters with them, we will win, Collingwood home game at the G surrounded by ferals and we will win. We need to do this so that when we have 11 home games in Melbourne we are now looking through our hands during games we should win but s**t the bed in.

Kennett may be insufferable, but it would be in both our clubs interest to work together so the AFL and Tasmania can't play us off against the other. We should both have a take on what is an acceptable deal that is in the interest of both our clubs, or we should both walk away.

The clubs need to realise their collective power more. There is more to be gained by working together than there is to be separate. This goes for Tasmania as it goes for Stadium deals in Victoria.

The whole reason that we play in Tassie is because we cannot use the docklands stadium to turn a profit for low crowds. I get that the stadium costs more to operate, however if you are getting 21k to a game that you get 10k to in Tassie and you turn a profit from the 10 but not from the 21 this is a broader problem than the location of the game.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The whole reason that we play in Tassie is because we cannot use the docklands stadium to turn a profit for low crowds. I get that the stadium costs more to operate, however if you are getting 21k to a game that you get 10k to in Tassie and you turn a profit from the 10 but not from the 21 this is a broader problem than the location of the game.

This is exactly right, now the AFL own the stadium (and the fact that us , stk, and wb ate s**t to enable favourable purchase terms) The lease needs to be reviewed

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Will be interesting, as I’m hearing 3 more years and 3 games.… so no change as such. So many working pieces due to outside matters now, we’ll have to wait and see I guess.
So is that 3 Games a year moving forward or is it 4 Games a year as it currently sits? :stern look

We need to be lobbying for these 10k games to be played at HardOn street.

no idea what has happened with the Arden project and redeveloping the ground.
With all the news projects being fast tracked to stimulate the economy because of Covid, a strong board would have been able to make the case to government and the council to fund a pavilion on the northern or southern sides of HardOn to accomodate spectators for a 10k game.

#BringBackGamesToHardOn

My bad Zondor, 3 years and 4 games 👍🏼
Disappointing if this is true.

Let's not forget the broken promises of ''we're looking at doing no more than 2''......few years later.....''we're looking at doing no more than 3''........''we're looking at doing no more than 4''

What's worse supporters/members don't make enough noise regarding this evolving arrangement because they feel helpless and the players/coaches are media trained to say the same thing over and over again regarding Hobart.

ie - We love coming down here, we love engaging with the community, we love ours fans down here blah blah blah.

If a player was able to speaking freely & honestly.....the vast majority of them would say that they much rather sleep in their own bed and drive to the venue on game day over the alternative.

A lot of us patiently waited for the AFL to own the docklands venue and that it would be our ticket out of tassie.

What happened?

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
My bad Zondor, 3 years and 4 games 👍🏼

I bloody hope not. The novelty of playing games in Hobart has well and truly lost it's shine.

Tassie doesn't want us there and have shown their hand re: wanting their own team, and even the most ardent and pragmatic of our Melbourne based supporters are sick of the arrangement.

A one year extension (two at the absolute most) while we figure out a viable alternative from 2023 onward would be ideal IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's worse supporters/members don't make enough noise regarding this evolving arrangement because they feel helpless and the players/coaches are media trained to say the same thing over and over again regarding Hobart.

I can only vote with my wallet and give them direct feedback in the survey each year. I've been blunt: less Hobart games is what I want and I will not physically support games in Hobart until we reduce them as much as I enjoyed my one trip years ago. The whole 3 games to 4 without a by your leave after heartland supporters threw cash in the can has left a very sour taste in my mouth - backing it up with nonsense about how we'd be all set because we'll be happy after winning a guaranteed 4 extra games (right before one of our worst seasons in living memory) was the salt in the wound.

I love going to watch my team play games of football. Them winning games on the other side of the country that I can't watch because the club has sold them doesn't have me doing cartwheels. Ideally I'd like to see 11 home games in Melbourne, failing that pulling back progressively - perhaps a 2 H&A plus 1 pre season - would be a nice start.

6 or 7 years before they get a team in eh?.. perfect timing as Tarryn reaches his prime and the AFL pay him $1mill a year on top of his salary to be an ‘ambassador’ and the Tassie Turtles captain..
Hopefully after winning a couple premierships with us.

"I think"

Anyway. This will be interesting if it goes to an actual open vote rather that the AFL just making it clear that its franchises need to vote x. I find it hard to get a read on the clubs wanting to vote for a new team whilst we are still in the middle of massive upheaval and have still not even bedded in the last 2 teams. It seems nuts to me and fraught with danger. Wonder what they'll bribe the clubs with this time - I don't see the never ending rights increases as such a safe assumption in the current world order.

I think one additional team is also not ideal which means realistically maybe a 3rd WA team? Any increases in team numbers are now at the point, in fact way past the point where a rational approach to fixturing equity needs to take place. It's already way too lopsided, it can't be a 20 team comp and not address who plays who twice in a fair way. It would get to the point where clubs like ours are only playing interstate and the smallest VIC teams.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm predicting Hawthorn and North Melbourne will be furiously working the phones and crunching the numbers to make sure enough clubs vote against the expansion so that the two clubs with Tasmanian connections can vote in favour of a Tasmanian team to curry favour, but without risk that the motion will carry.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
The most important point is that North have cleared their debt.

Sydney and Fitzroy were sinking, noses just above water, when they were FORCED to move. Given their debt they had no choice.

I live in Docklands so I want all games here but the club should look at any proposal that makes commercial sense i.e. get as much moola as possible.

Will be slightly annoyed if the Brissie game gets transferred to Tassie as is will be one of the six Melbourne games each season Fitzroy supporters were promised.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Geelong game in Hobart is officially sold although I have heard they were giving away free tickets at McDonald's and KFC which is real annoying because I have heard of lots of people missing out on Tickets.Why on earth would they do that to such a popular game and then people that really want tickets miss out,you would do that for a GWS game not a Melbourne derby.

The Geelong game in Hobart is officially sold although I have heard they were giving away free tickets at McDonald's and KFC which is real annoying because I have heard of lots of people missing out on Tickets.Why on earth would they do that to such a popular game and then people that really want tickets miss out,you would do that for a GWS game not a Melbourne derby.
A melbourne derby?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back