News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

Named by Lonely Planet 7th most desirable city to travel in the world. Not too bad for a hick town.

So Tasmanians, before and now in current partnership, can't support North? Just wow.
Support the NMFC if you wish but understand this. North Melbourne was formed in Melbourne. It is a Melbourne Club. A club that should be playing all their home games in Melbourne. This Cash Grab "Venture" on the Map is not sustainable for the Long Term. It is not prudent for the club to be reliant on this money. Therefore want the NMFC to completely return to Melbourne or find another club to Highjack for your State. :stern look

Keep all discussion re the current deal, and our possible future plans, in here. Leave the AFLW thread for actual discussion relating to AFLW footy (minus the Tassie partnership debate which can be argued here if necessary).
Will do. I'll discuss the possibility of my beloved Half Tonne Mom playing for the Mighty NMFC in the other thread. :stern look

I never said he'd help us. In fact, I said quite the opposite. He will be furiously lambasting the AFL and North for trying to make Tassie a one club state.
Yeah and by doing so many minimising the possibility of the NMFC playing more home games on the Map. Isn't that helping us? :stern look

I don't mind playing a few games there but understand others not liking it. The thing is, it's a great deal for north. Before you ask for an exit strategy (which the club would be foolish to share because it would undermine the Tassie public's support of the club), you've got to come up with an alternative source of $1.5m revenue and 7000 members.
Hmmm. So are you suggesting that club secretly have an exit strategy in place? Good News. :stern look

We will make up the $1.5 Million with a better Stadium Deal in Melbourne for starters. That Should be Priority Number One. Get onto it Dino Dibra. :stern look

The 7,000 Members equate to 1/2 a Million Tops. Also we wouldn't lose all those members as there are true NMFC supporters that live on the Map. :stern look

As for you "Not Minding" us playing a few games on the Map I suggest you grab a mirror and ask yourself are you a true NMFC person. It is one thing to say to yourself, hey we have to do it for the cash but s**t ideally it would be great to play all our home games in Melbourne. It is another to "Not Minding" this rubbish. Do you truly care about the NMFC being North Melbourne? :stern look

Exactly we need as many members as we can get...
As for Hobart, for any Melbourne North members that haven't made the trip I'd highly recommend you make a weekend of it at some stage. So much to see and do, Salamanca markets, Battery Point, Mt Wellington . A burgeoning arts scene with the MONA museum the jewel in the crown. A 15 minute drive and you're our in the beatiful Tasmanian countryside sampling fabulous Tasmanian produce; oysters wine and cheese. Take the wife, the husband, the whole family.

Plus I love the games down there with that freaky wind. Who could forget us fisting the Crows in the first quarter or that epic shootout against the GoDees or that game against West Coast where the ball was going backwards. We've learnt to play it so well.
I suggest that true NMFC people don't go to the Map to watch North play. These Turkeys are so reliant on us making up the crowd numbers and pumping our money into their economy to make this a success. Better off spending your hard earned directly with the club. Anything Melbourne based. The Huddle. Club Functions in Melbourne. Support the Club. Not the Venture. Don't go. I've made my stance. I went and watched North in every other secondary market we played a home game. Enough is Enough. This nonsense must cease. :stern look

You need to find another 10,000 rusted on supporters.

We're stuck with Tassie until we start winning flags.
I think we are stuck with playing games out of Melbourne, regardless.

I think we are stuck with playing games out of Melbourne, regardless.

Perhaps, but we're not even in the position of having a choice until our numbers through the gate start to swell.

Support the NMFC if you wish but understand this. North Melbourne was formed in Melbourne. It is a Melbourne Club. A club that should be playing all their home games in Melbourne. This Cash Grab "Venture" on the Map is not sustainable for the Long Term. It is not prudent for the club to be reliant on this money. Therefore want the NMFC to completely return to Melbourne or find another club to Highjack for your State. :stern look

We need the ******* money! It makes our Melbourne Club sustainable

I'd also add that the benefits of The Huddle, the Arden Street precinct, etc won't be felt significantly for another decade.

Unless the AFL attempt to push us to relocate (which I can't see realistically happening), we will be sitting here in 2027 still talking about an exit strategy.

It's not my preference, it's just how I see it minus the rose coloured glasses.

We need the ******* money! It makes our Melbourne Club sustainable
All clubs "need the money". But this Venture isn't for the Long Term. Think forward. What will our club look like in 20 or 30 years time? We are playing with Fire I tells yah. :stern look

Will do. I'll discuss the possibility of my beloved Half Tonne Mom playing for the Mighty NMFC in the other thread. :stern look

Cool, but we'll have to wait until her Adelaide contract's finished.

images
:stern look

All clubs "need the money". But this Venture isn't for the Long Term. Think forward. What will our club look like in 20 or 30 years time? We are playing with Fire I tells yah. :stern look

If we don't start winning flags then we are kaput, Tassie or no Tassie.

The Tassie deal currently keeps our head above water and buys us the time to shore up our Victorian position.

The reality is the AFL would move us there in a heartbeat so we will always be the target of the unofficial AFL spokespeople. We will always be vulnerable and every time we hit a slight financial bump the whole thing will blow up again and again. As a NMFC member we have to accept this will be the case and rally hard every time there is a suggestion we should relocate. I honestly do believe over the next few years we will increase the number of games played especially if the AFL can buy out the Hawks involvement down there - this is a major risk to us.

Just be true to our club, shut up and buy a membership and be alert, not alarmed. Vigilance will help and there are plenty of good North folk on this board who will stand up and be counted when the challenges come.

Last time the AFL tried to screw us two great NMFC folk made sure we knew all about it. Lets hope there are still some loyalists on the board.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not comfortable with the Tassie situation at all. I get that we need to sell games for the moment .

I feel like there’s too much going on behind the scenes that the members aren’t privy to. Don’t know why, could be the AFL has its agenda that it pushes through the media.

Jeff Kennett had a go at the afl recently for trying to push the hawks out of Tassie because they only want the one side.

Then there’s that abomination of a jumper I saw recently with TASSIE Kangaroos on the front, nearly lost my lunch.

The club needs to have a Q&A with members or at least another letter detailing our exact plan for now and the future. No more of these loosely worded statements

I’m not comfortable with the Tassie situation at all. I get that we need to sell games for the moment .

I feel like there’s too much going on behind the scenes that the members aren’t privy to. Don’t know why, could be the AFL has its agenda that it pushes through the media.

Jeff Kennett had a go at the afl recently for trying to push the hawks out of Tassie because they only want the one side.

Then there’s that abomination of a jumper I saw recently with TASSIE Kangaroos on the front, nearly lost my lunch.

The club needs to have a Q&A with members or at least another letter detailing our exact plan for now and the future. No more of these loosely worded statements
We will get the same statement as always - "under my Presidency/CEO we will not move our HQ from Arden St etc etc etc". Doesn't mean we won't play more games in Tassy - just HQ location. Semantics, I know, but it guarantees nothing. We need to be alert at all times.

We will get the same statement as always - "under my Presidency/CEO we will not move our HQ from Arden St etc etc etc". Doesn't mean we won't play more games in Tassy - just HQ location. Semantics, I know, but it guarantees nothing. We need to be alert at all times.

We are okay for the foreseeable future.

What concerns me is our supporter demographic. It seems to be made up of a lot of older heads with a sprinkling of kids.

I don't see too many 18 to 40 types amongst our attendance demographics.

We need to get the ship right, and get seriously amongst the top 4 of the comp for an extended run.

I believe Buckley is aware of this and is tweaking the dials accordingly.

Exactly! I got sucked into that till I listened to it again. I won’t to read a statement saying that we won’t be increasing the numbers of home games in Tassie. If the club is unwilling to do that, I want them to outline their exact plan.

If people think playing games in Tassie doesn’t hurt our brand, think again. It creates uncertainty in our supporters and ability to recruit players. That is why we need a strong statement from the club. Jeff was a strong president who didn’t mind clashing with the AFL publicly. We need that from our president right now.

If we don't start winning flags then we are kaput, Tassie or no Tassie.

The Tassie deal currently keeps our head above water and buys us the time to shore up our Victorian position.
That seems like a somewhat defeatist attitude and it ain't the Shinboner Spirit. StKilda haven't won a Flag since 1966 and they're still with us. :stern look

However I do understand where you're coming from. There is nothing like success to bolster your Membership Numbers. Afterall most people love a winner. That's why people love me. :stern look

I’m not comfortable with the Tassie situation at all. I get that we need to sell games for the moment
Well said Chop. That's why I want to know our plans for the Future. I assume that the club has a long term strategy in place. What is it? :stern look

That seems like a somewhat defeatist attitude and it ain't the Shinboner Spirit. StKilda haven't won a Flag since 1966 and they're still with us. :stern look

Our attendance demographic is only treading water. This isn't a defeatist position, it's a realist position.

However I do understand where you're coming from. There is nothing like success to bolster your Membership Numbers. After all most people love a whiner. That's why people love me. :stern look

EFA.:thumbsu:

We are okay for the foreseeable future.

What concerns me is our supporter demographic. It seems to be made up of a lot of older heads with a sprinkling of kids.

I don't see too many 18 to 40 types amongst our attendance demographics.

We need to get the ship right, and get seriously amongst the top 4 of the comp for an extended run.

I believe Buckley is aware of this and is tweaking the dials accordingly.
Fair comment. Membership is so critical and let's see what new deal we get from Etihad with AFL ownership. I don't trust them to make this significantly better - they have a debt too.

Fair comment. Membership is so critical and let's see what new deal we get from Etihad with AFL ownership. I don't trust them to make this significantly better - they have a debt too.

A stadium deal that is equitable with Geelong would take all pressure completely off the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back