News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

As I recall he did one thing - brilliant contested mark, turn for laser like pass, gut run and collect the one two then majestic 50m running goal - that was truly astounding in the ones.

Then nothing else.

Perhaps giantroo has footage?
Only footage available of the man on youtube is this one handed mark.

As I recall he did one thing - brilliant contested mark, turn for laser like pass, gut run and collect the one two then majestic 50m running goal - that was truly astounding in the ones.

Then nothing else.

Perhaps giantroo has footage?

Can't remember that but I really liked his games in the VFL. Produced in finals too. Thought we'd found our new spearhead.

Remember he played on Squibson in a praccie when he first went to Hawthorn. I posted "smash his pretty mouth Josh" on the North site text tracker of the game (the famous rain and hail Brad Scott "let's call the whole thing off" game iirc). The admin didn't allow this comment through.

Luckily for them my post didn't translate to reality. Josh Smith had 0 impact on that game and held that standard for the rest of his career.

You let me down Josh Smith.

Only footage available of the man on youtube is this one handed mark.

Actually, that mark is what I was thinking of! Carey-like!

Can't remember that but I really liked his games in the VFL. Produced in finals too. Thought we'd found our new spearhead.

Remember he played on Squibson in a praccie when he first went to Hawthorn. I posted "smash his pretty mouth Josh" on the North site text tracker of the game (the famous rain and hail Brad Scott "let's call the whole thing off" game iirc). The admin didn't allow this comment through.

Luckily for them my post didn't translate to reality. Josh Smith had 0 impact on that game and held that standard for the rest of his career.

You let me down Josh Smith.

Long lost poster RoyalBLue memorably described him as having the turning circle of the Queen Mary.

You could potentially force an AGM under the definition of "relocation proposal" and have it brought to a vote, in the event of this situation.

I can't see such a move ever occurring, as it would seriously alienate our Melbourne members and stifle our Melbourne growth.
I agree that such a move would seriously alienate our Melbourne Members but sadly this was close to occurring under Jame Brayshaws guidance. :stern look

And yes, you and I and others would kick up a stink and spill the Board if this was to eventuate. :stern look

But s**t we are still open to this nonsense. When it was proposed to amend the constitution to limit the amount of "Home Games" played interstate, the vote didn't get up because a 75% Majority was required to amend the constitution. Brayshaws and his cronies gots their way that day. :thumbsdown:

this was close to occurring under Jame Brayshaws guidance.

The health of the club was in a different place then. It doesn't apply now.

But s**t we are still open to this nonsense.

7-8 games? No we're not. Read Buckley's comments.

When it was proposed to amend the constitution to limit the amount of "Home Games" played interstate, the vote didn't get up because a 75% Majority was required to amend the constitution. Brayshaws and his cronies gots their way that day. :thumbsdown:

It's a moot point, not a conspiracy.

The health of the club was in a different place then. It doesn't apply now.

7-8 games? No we're not. Read Buckley's comments.

It's a moot point, not a conspiracy.
Talk is cheap. If Buckley led a change in the constitution then I would be convinced. :stern look

But s**t we are still open to this nonsense. When it was proposed to amend the constitution to limit the amount of "Home Games" played interstate, the vote didn't get up because a 75% Majority was required to amend the constitution. Brayshaws and his cronies gots their way that day. :thumbsdown:

At that EGM, Brayshaw was adamant he wanted to retain the ability to play multiple home games outside of Melbourne without member votes.

He cited a one off cash bonanza in Singapore as an example of why but he was pretty committed to holding on to this control which seemed a little counter to the club's direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At that EGM, Brayshaw was adamant he wanted to retain the ability to play multiple home games outside of Melbourne without member votes.

He cited a one off cash bonanza in Singapore as an example of why but he was pretty committed to holding on to this control which seemed a little counter to the club's direction.
Yeah a Bullshit Excuse. Yet there are posters on here ye that want to Build a Stature of his likeness and whack it outside of Hardon St. Give us a Spell! :stern look

JB was talking bullshit, the provisions we wanted would have allowed him to make that deal without referring it to a member vote as long as we weren't selling too many games prior to this bonanza theoretical game. Besides, the AFL is unlikely going to approve of us playing one-off games anywhere as they will want us to focus on the one market, it was part of the reason they moved to dislodge Ballart from our hands. We took the AFL's money for Tasmania and it had consequences.

JB was great, up to a point, but he wasn't a firm Melbourne or die leader and that in itself made us vulnerable as the AFL and other parties constantly saw us as an achievable target if the offer was right. Our future is here and only here, he was happy and willing to kill us via co-location had it been accepted. Co-location is a slow and painful death rather than a quick one. A death is a death though. I just hope BB and Carl are true to their word.

I'll give JB one thing though, he was open and honest about what he thought and didn't attempt to conceal what he wanted to achieve. I just felt it was short-sighted at the time and with the benefit of hindsight it has been proven to be that way. This current status quo was always something that was achievable and in essence, he didn't have enough faith in the club to get to the point we are today or beyond. He should have been at the forefront fighting for our future, the reality is the Dogs did more for us than JB did to get the AFL focused on fixing the problems in Melbourne. That is sad.

While there is the temptation to grab easy cash, it harms the ability to create an attending culture when you sell off too many games. Too much damage had already been done, our club has great TV ratings and shithouse attendance levels because too many supporters are too accustom to getting a gold class access and viewing experience from a Foxtel subscription rather than a NMFC membership. The damage that has been inflicted on past members is likely irreversible, we need to asap start to convert far more new members into attending members and having consistent access to games to attend here is the best way to go about it.

Now that we are going to get a significantly larger slice of reserved seating and premium membership revenue from Docklands, the club is going to want to cram in as many supporters into there as humanly possible. How many Tasmanians and Singaporeans are going to attend these home games? The same number of Chinese that will attend Port or GC games, stuff all or none.

What has been done in Werribee should be considered the blueprint and we should aggressively hit all viable regions to take in a much greater slice of people moving here from other states and from overseas who have no family history of following AFL, it is a much easier market to get more than our normal share of supporters from.

JB needed to be all-in, he wasn't and supporters wanted to safeguard the club from a good faith decision in which he lacked the acumen to make the best long-term decision for the future of the club. In JB's defence, it is a lot easier to have BB's or Funky's stance in the current environment, he was lead to believe the environment would have been a lot more hostile to us. That being said, he still refused to take the co-location deal off the table even late in his reign, I find that part to be most concerning and something that soured a fair bit of his good work, it is really only luck that has allowed us to dodge the bullet.

JB was talking bullshit, the provisions we wanted would have allowed him to make that deal without referring it to a member vote as long as we weren't selling too many games prior to this bonanza theoretical game. Besides, the AFL is unlikely going to approve of us playing one-off games anywhere as they will want us to focus on the one market, it was part of the reason they moved to dislodge Ballart from our hands. We took the AFL's money for Tasmania and it had consequences.

JB was great, up to a point, but he wasn't a firm Melbourne or die leader and that in itself made us vulnerable as the AFL and other parties constantly saw us as an achievable target if the offer was right. Our future is here and only here, he was happy and willing to kill us via co-location had it been accepted. Co-location is a slow and painful death rather than a quick one. A death is a death though. I just hope BB and Carl are true to their word.

I'll give JB one thing though, he was open and honest about what he thought and didn't attempt to conceal what he wanted to achieve. I just felt it was short-sighted at the time and with the benefit of hindsight it has been proven to be that way. This current status quo was always something that was achievable and in essence, he didn't have enough faith in the club to get to the point we are today or beyond. He should have been at the forefront fighting for our future, the reality is the Dogs did more for us than JB did to get the AFL focused on fixing the problems in Melbourne. That is sad.

While there is the temptation to grab easy cash, it harms the ability to create an attending culture when you sell off too many games. Too much damage had already been done, our club has great TV ratings and shithouse attendance levels because too many supporters are too accustom to getting a gold class access and viewing experience from a Foxtel subscription rather than a NMFC membership. The damage that has been inflicted on past members is likely irreversible, we need to asap start to convert far more new members into attending members and having consistent access to games to attend here is the best way to go about it.

Now that we are going to get a significantly larger slice of reserved seating and premium membership revenue from Docklands, the club is going to want to cram in as many supporters into there as humanly possible. How many Tasmanians and Singaporeans are going to attend these home games? The same number of Chinese that will attend Port or GC games, stuff all or none.

What has been done in Werribee should be considered the blueprint and we should aggressively hit all viable regions to take in a much greater slice of people moving here from other states and from overseas who have no family history of following AFL, it is a much easier market to get more than our normal share of supporters from.

JB needed to be all-in, he wasn't and supporters wanted to safeguard the club from a good faith decision in which he lacked the acumen to make the best long-term decision for the future of the club. In JB's defence, it is a lot easier to have BB's or Funky's stance in the current environment, he was lead to believe the environment would have been a lot more hostile to us. That being said, he still refused to take the co-location deal off the table even late in his reign, I find that part to be most concerning and something that soured a fair bit of his good work, it is really only luck that has allowed us to dodge the bullet.
Yup. Nicely put Tas. :stern look

Tasmanian anger with AFL remains fierce as uncertainty prevails
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-as-uncertainty-prevails-20180309-p4z3p0.html

Frustrated presidents trying to run clubs in the battling Tasmanian State League say AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has lost touch with what's happening in their state after he said on Wednesday the AFL's investment in Tasmanian football was starting to show benefits.Some even fear the AFL could walk away from the TSL rather than invest the dollars required to support clubs striving to create professional environments and pathways for young players despite relying on volunteers and inadequate resources.

They say the boost in participation numbers McLachlan has referred to in his public comments has come through the increased number of women playing the game and school programs while junior competition numbers continue to dwindle.

With McLachlan indicating he would visit the state at some stage in the next three weeks, but yet to lock in a date, newly installed AFL Tasmania CEO Trish Squires has been meeting TSL club presidents individually.

These catch-ups follow a crisis meeting held between AFL Tasmania and TSL presidents in Campbelltown soon after Burnie joined Devonport in departing the league in February, reducing it to just seven clubs and leaving it without a presence in the state's north-west.

Squires has been unable to give an indication to clubs about who might be on a proposed committee being established to re-examine the recommendations of the 2016 Garlick Report and offered little hope that clubs will receive more funding than the $100,000 they now receive.

Although the TSL announced on Thursday that Health Insurance company BUPA had signed a three-year deal as the competition's major partner including naming rights, the TSL was not prepared on Friday to publicly reveal the financial injection the deal would provide, and clubs were uncertain.

Lauderdale club president Julie Kay, who is due to meet with Squires next week, told Fairfax Media McLachlan needed to acknowledge the myriad of issues volunteers at her club dealt with on a weekly basis if the AFL was going to be of any real help.

"In striving to develop the game, the AFL have absolutely neglected the stuff that underpins clubs. It will come home to bear in 10 years time," Kay said.

TSL clubs also under pressure from community clubs in the region, which entice players because of their proximity and, in many cases, ability to offer more money.

In an indication of the decline an AFL list manager told Fairfax Media this week the NSW v Queensland game used to be the least-watched AFL Under 18s game in division two of the championships but that title now went to games involving Tasmania because the pathway was so depleted.

On that point North Launceston club president Thane Brady criticised the AFL's commitment to giving players throughout Australia an equal chance to develop their game and that the AFL should bear responsibility for the development program in place.

"If the AFL wants Tassie’s development program to continue to be the Bangladesh of the AFL then we will continue to do our best in the knowledge our talented kids are disadvantaged compared to those in northern states and we will have to accept players and their families will leave our state," Brady said.

He told SEN last month that equipment used to test players at their local academy had failed to work and the resources available to TSL clubs pales in comparison to those available to NEAFL clubs.

With trust at a low ebb between TSL clubs and the AFL, any spin on the situation is being rejected.

The standard of the Tasmanian State League has been declining in recent seasons as more players head to the NEAFL, which is better resourced and more likely to be watched by AFL scouts.

The TSL has a salary cap of $95,000 compared to the NEAFL's cap of $200,000 but several TSL clubs can't even pay their full cap meaning they can't compete in the battle to attract players.

"It’s a very simple determination that is required to be made here by the AFL. Confirm the funding model then let us get on with it," Brady said.

The AFL is a joke when it come to league development and always has been. The league in Northern NSW grew from scratch to one team on the Gold Coast to a four then 6 team league by the early 00s. At that stage towns round here were contributing kids to the NSW junior side, players were being picked up by AFL clubs and others were trying out and getting magoo games etc. All with no support from the AFL (AFL NSW or AFL QLD). As soon as the AFL got involved it all fell apart.

They did nothing to promote the game up here and nothing to support the league. No cash, no resources ... nothing. Meanwhile the NRL pumped thousands in as it saw the threat from the AFL. Kids who had a choice to play for the NRL or AFL were ignored by the AFL and courted by the NRL. The league got more support from individual clubs than from the AFL as an organisation. The AFL missed a huge opportunity to do what they are trying with GWS at the moment but from a grass roots level. Its hardly the same as Tassie where the dominant codes are soccer and Aussie Rules, not soccer and League, but it seems the AFL have a humungous lack of clues when it comes to developing grass roots of anything. Doesn't matter if its sport, farming, STEM or whatever - if you don't feed the grass roots your harvest will be shithouse.

Anyone know where Browny played junior footy?

So how is it that Burnie and Devonport don't have teams?

...and these people want to run their own AFL club?

They can't even manage suburban clubs!

In other news, the Victorian Amateur South East league has a salary cap of $150k and I think the only funding they would get from the AFL is for grass roots programs via AFL Victoria, most of the amateur clubs in Victoria are backed by strong community support and usually a successful social club. For a bush league, they also have an impressive array of corporate sponsors including companies such as Coca Cola, McDonalds, etc.

I think they have to stop with the whining and do something proactive about fixing the health of their footy to the extent they are physically capable on their own, once they make efforts to improve their structure on their own I am sure the AFL and other partners would be eager to help out. The last thing you want to do is to help keep afloat incompetent entities, people who can't effectively balance a small budget aren't miraculously going to do so when you give them a wad of cash. They should have the means to run amateur clubs if managed properly. Perhaps if the Government doesn't give Hawks $20m for naming rights on their jumper that nobody refers to, perhaps they could inject that money into their own community and use it create social club strongholds which would be the basis for not just football clubs but local communities.

They would want to create social clubs like Southport Sharks, which is an example of a strong social club on the GC which uses their surplus of funds on sporting activities. Perhaps get the state government to slap on a pokie tax where a chunk of all revenue generating from that gambling is taxed and goes to community programs, including football.

In other news, the Victorian Amateur South East league has a salary cap of $150k and I think the only funding they would get from the AFL is for grass roots programs via AFL Victoria, most of the amateur clubs in Victoria are backed by strong community support and usually a successful social club. For a bush league, they also have an impressive array of corporate sponsors including companies such as Coca Cola, McDonalds, etc.

That's the thing though, leagues like the NTFA in Tasmania are doing great. Longford vs Bracknell is a bigger fixture here than Launceston vs North Launceston. I think it's mostly the TSL that's ****ed, and that's the one that AFL Tasmania has used as their plaything. The stepping stone to the AFL in Tasmania has been ruined, and that's not the entire fault of the AFL. However given that AFL Tasmania is under their control, they do have to put effort into fixing it.

That's the thing though, leagues like the NTFA in Tasmania are doing great. Longford vs Bracknell is a bigger fixture here than Launceston vs North Launceston. I think it's mostly the TSL that's ******, and that's the one that AFL Tasmania has used as their plaything. The stepping stone to the AFL in Tasmania has been ruined, and that's not the entire fault of the AFL. However given that AFL Tasmania is under their control, they do have to put effort into fixing it.

Scrap the TSL and head back to regional footy. Winners of said region grand finals play off for "State Champoionship".

The NWFL is the strongest footy comp in Tassie in my opinion. Good crowds usually, (depending on matchups) good players and some terrific grounds, Latrobe in particular is a ripper :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back