News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Its because its against gws,they can't get a decent crowd for this game anywhere,it has nothing to with Tasmania.

Hobart only has 4 games per year. You’d think people who love AFL should want to attend all 4 regardless of who is playing. Giants may not any supporters in Hobart but they are a top 4 side and have the current leading goal kicker playing for them. I would have thought it’s much more attractive than watching Carlton play.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hobart only has 4 games per year. You’d think people who love AFL should want to attend all 4 regardless of who is playing. Giants may not any supporters in Hobart but they are a top 4 side and have the current leading goal kicker playing for them. I would have thought it’s much more attractive than watching Carlton play.

The last two occasions Carlton played in Hobart and Launceston the crowds were 15800 earlier this season and 14100 last year,so that shows Tasmanians are a lot more interested in seeing Carlton play than Gws.

The last two occasions Carlton played in Hobart and Launceston the crowds were 15800 earlier this season and 14100 last year,so that shows Tasmanians are a lot more interested in seeing Carlton play than Gws.
But not that interested in seeing North Melbourne play. :stern look

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But not that interested in seeing North Melbourne play. :stern look
A lot of the supporters at Hobart games have been North supporters ,probably about 50 percent,they have also got about 6000 Tassie members which is way more than any interstate location they have played at.

Sideburns Ahern

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Yeah tell me again, what's the argument for a Tasmanian team playing 11 games on the map?

Yeah tell me again, what's the argument for a Tasmanian team playing 11 games on the map?
Just so we're clear.

Your knock is that Hobart won't turn out in droves for a GWS game.

Remind me, why does North have to play that game down there?

A welcome opinion.

It's extremely strange to forget reality and it annoys me.
I have a vested interest in Tassie.

You can be unhappy about playing games down there without pretending there isn't real passion for their own side down there.

Last edited:
Just so we're clear.

Your knock is that Hobart won't turn out in droves for a GWS game.

Remind me, why does North have to play that game down there?
Have to or Choose to? We do it for the Coin. Poor Stadium Deal and That. :stern look

Have to or Choose to? We do it for the Coin. Poor Stadium Deal and That. :stern look
I'd assume if it was a choice you wouldn't choose to take 4 games away from your heartland.

You have to because you need the coin.

Its because its against gws,they can't get a decent crowd for this game anywhere,it has nothing to with Tasmania.
We're constantly told Tassie is desperate for top level footy. Here tis and we can't sell out the ground.

I'd assume if it was a choice you wouldn't choose to take 4 games away from your heartland.

You have to because you need the coin.
Your "assumption" is incorrect. So you can better understand, it is like when Essendon chose to introduce systematic doping into its organisation to gain a competitive advantage. They didn't have to. They just chose to. :stern look

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
People in Melbourne talk about Tasmanians not supporting the team enough,well why don't mainland supporters attend the games in Hobart in bigger numbers,I'm told the numbers of people coming over for the games is low.You would think they would also support this venture,considering what the team gets out of it,the Hawthorn games in Launceston have always had high numbers from the mainland.

People in Melbourne talk about Tasmanians not supporting the team enough,well why don't mainland supporters attend the games in Hobart in bigger numbers,I'm told the numbers of people coming over for the games is low.You would think they would also support this venture,considering what the team gets out of it,the Hawthorn games in Launceston have always had high numbers from the mainland.
Would cost me $500 plus for airfares and accom for a night. Cost you Tassie folk a lot less and you don't go. Hmmmmm - really think you could support your own AFL team? Not seeing much love for the game at the elite level in Hobart.

LOL. So you're told that the number of people coming from the Mainland to attend these games are low. So who told you? And if true it seems somewhat stupid that so much Tasmanian Money is being pumped into this venture. Doesn't sound like great bang for your buck. :stern look

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf

What a cop out. What the team gets from it? How about what the Melbourne based supporters lose out on instead??

What bullshit logic. If we are that concerned and have money to burn, we would be better off donating the cost of a weekend away to the map, straight to the club, or buying memberships for the Huddle. That will go further to securing our future in Melbourne, than wasting money on flights and accomodation, while propping up Hobart attendance figures.

And stop pretending you are a North supporter, you only post about Tasmanian crowd numbers.

Sideburns Ahern

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Why should we support something that the vast majority of us don't actually want to continue or (heaven forbid) to expand?

Also, if any campaigner gets the stupid idea that a relocated North Melbourne would attract thousands of North supporters to travel to Tassie every second week to support the Tasmania Kanga-Devils, well let's just remember that none of us are jumping on the Spirit of Seasick now and we certainly wouldn't be for a relocated team.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hawthorn have a lot of supporters that travel over for the games they play in Tasmania,north supporters don't seem to be willing to travel when they play games interstate.It is well known that north supporters have always been poorer at supporting their team and that includes in Melbourne.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Hawthorn have a lot of supporters that travel over for the games they play in Tasmania,north supporters don't seem to be willing to travel when they play games interstate.It is well known that north supporters have always been poorer at supporting their team and that includes in Melbourne.

I went to the Swans game

You call that a football crowd?

Remind me to take my knitting next time

Mr Taswegian you're killing me here! I'm a proud Tasmanian and I LOVE North Melbourne, but respectfully, in my opinion, Hobart people don't tend to be the best at attending sporting events. I'm heavily involved in the big sports here in Tas, when ever we discuss events/venues.... we cringe when Hobart pops up.

And we all know how the government are thinking here, they wan't a team that isn't a relocated team, and the conversations I've had with people involved, love the Hawthorn/North model, but it's coming to a mutual end within a few years. Tassie has served it's purpose as such, but North Melbourne is NORTH MELBOURNE.

Anyway, continue on....

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Mr Taswegian you're killing me here! I'm a proud Tasmanian and I LOVE North Melbourne, but respectfully, in my opinion, Hobart people don't tend to be the best at attending sporting events. I'm heavily involved in the big sports here in Tas, when ever we discuss events/venues.... we cringe when Hobart pops up.

And we all know how the government are thinking here, they wan't a team that isn't a relocated team, and the conversations I've had with people involved, love the Hawthorn/North model, but it's coming to a mutual end within a few years. Tassie has served it's purpose as such, but North Melbourne is NORTH MELBOURNE.

Anyway, continue on....

1560170639287.png

they got 11k to their port adelaide game, we got 13k to our sydney game. Don't see that much difference

Back