News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

It's likely that the interests of "both" run head on in to each other.

Are you naive enough to suggest that some AFL Tasmanian side & the AFL wouldn't exert significant pressure to attain the ready made likes of Brown & Thomas from North Melbourne?

What do you personally think about Ben Brown and Tarryn Thomas leaving North to play for a Tasmanian AFL side?

It's likely that the interests of "both" run head on in to each other.

Are you naive enough to suggest that some AFL Tasmanian side & the AFL wouldn't exert significant pressure to attain the ready made likes of Brown & Thomas from North Melbourne?

What do you personally think about Ben Brown and Tarryn Thomas leaving North to play for a Tasmanian AFL side?

I think it'd be great for Tasmania, and not very good for North Melbourne.

I'm very aware that being a dual supporter complicates things. I love North, and have been a superfan my entire life, as is my family. At the end of the day though, I was born in Tasmania, I've spent nearly my whole life in Tasmania, and I'll likely die in Tasmania. I know it's only one state of many in this country, but everyone is aware it's "different". That's why when I tell people where I'm from, they always give the same "oh, really?" response, as if I'm from Mozambique or something.

This is the best shot my weird little island has had for our own team in the last 150 years, and the chance to support my home in the AFL is worth the complication of supporting two teams.

Maybe not a perfect answer, but that's the best I've got for you.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I think it'd be great for Tasmania, and not very good for North Melbourne.

I like you mate, don't get that wrong, but you're not a North supporter, you're a Tasmanian supporter.

I like you mate, don't get that wrong, but you're not a North supporter, you're a Tasmanian supporter.

You're alright too mate, but you couldn't be more wrong. People in my life would describe me as North obsessed. If I wasn't a true North supporter, I'd at least have picked a club that doesn't make my hair fall out. Plenty of easier clubs to bandwagon on.

EDLcdqfU0AAsTAs

There seems to be a lot of "calls" for things emanating from Tasmania, but we aren't seeing the really valid response!

Who

Is

Paying?

A combination of the Tasmanian Government, sponsors and other invested parties, I'd imagine. Potentially funding at Federal level, going by Labor's attempt to politicise Tasmanian football at the last election.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
A combination of the Tasmanian Government, sponsors and other invested parties, I'd imagine. Potentially funding at Federal level, going by Labor's attempt to politicise Tasmanian football at the last election.

The thing is mate, there's nothing more significant than "imagining" going on at the moment.

The thing is mate, there's nothing more significant than "imagining" going on at the moment.

Of course, because we're still so early in the process. For all we know, the AFL might outright reject the application for a team.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Of course, because we're still so early in the process. For all we know, the AFL might outright reject the application for a team.

Well, what's with all the crap then mate?

I know what it is, it's called "priming".

Public pressure is being "primed" by Tasmanian AFL interests in order to place pressure upon the AFL, because the financial model will fall significantly short.

SlyCunnington

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2010
Downtown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
12 months ago Gil rejected it flat out didn't he?

I dunno if that has changed. My suspicion is that the preferred model for AFL House is: No Hawthorn, North to take an extra 3.

I haven't seen anything to suggest, that if that scenario eventuated, we wouldn't take it.

Realistically, if Tassie are fairdinkum about getting their own team, they will cease the current arrangement with both clubs completely.

Well, what's with all the crap then mate?

I know what it is, it's called "priming".

Public pressure is being "primed" by Tasmanian AFL interests in order to place pressure upon the AFL, because the financial model will fall significantly short.

With all due respect, I'm just not that convinced you're the economic guru you make out to be. Not only have you not seen the financial model, I'm pretty sure you'd reject it as being biased even if it declared it feasible.

You're biased. So am I, of course; I have a lot to gain from a Tasmanian team. The difference is that I'm awaiting the full analysis with hope, whereas it seems that you won't accept a reality that doesn't confirm your bias.

I'm not sure we can take this convo any further.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
With all due respect, I'm just not that convinced you're the economic guru you make out to be. Not only have you not seen the financial model, I'm pretty sure you'd reject it as being biased even if it declared it feasible.

You're biased. So am I, of course; I have a lot to gain from a Tasmanian team. The difference is that I'm awaiting the full analysis with hope, whereas it seems that you won't accept a reality that doesn't confirm your bias.

I'm not sure we can take this convo any further.

Pffft, I am not claiming any great economic expertise here, BECAUSE THERE IS NO SUPPORTING ECONOMICS FOR THIS PURPORTED VENTURE TO EVEN MAKE AN EVALUATION!

It's in the land of the unicorns.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
12 months ago Gil rejected it flat out didn't he?

I dunno if that has changed. My suspicion is that the preferred model for AFL House is: No Hawthorn, North to take an extra 3.

I haven't seen anything to suggest, that if that scenario eventuated, we wouldn't take it.

Realistically, if Tassie are fairdinkum about getting their own team, they will cease the current arrangement with both clubs completely.

Surely you can't disregard the amazing persuasive powers of Nick Reiwoldt?!

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The great Nick Riewoldt lived in Tasmania until he was 9 or 10 yrs. old, that would make him an absolute authority on all things Tasmanian! Spin spin spin

He's a grand master in virtue signalling.

He has the sincerity of a rock spider at a school fete.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Okay, the AFL website are reporting it now. There goes the women's team.

Where does the North Tasmanian academy stand in all this? We're going to get shafted again.

North's attempt at settling gets uprooted yet again.

Listening to the bloke who is ex CEO of woolies on radio. He seems to be leading the charge for this. Interesting language choice when he talks about creating a new club in Tassie or, assuming the AFL doesn't want an extra team, a Melbourne based team would seem the likely choice to for relocation. FFS. Here we go again. North the first one named. Fugg off.

Back