News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

The deal was never '7 tassie, 7 home'...it was 7 tassie and 4 home - it has to be as we can only have 11 home games.

We would be 'promised' additional Melbourne replacement games but they would fall away quickly as they would have to in a national competition - ie other clubs are not going to give up home games for us.

Melbourne based supporters would drop off under this scenario (as they already have under the current 4 games in tassie arrangement).

The idea that we can be a little bit pregnant in both Melbourne and Hobart is a poor business model - it may have delivered some short term financial gains but it has hurt the perception of the club long term - we still look needy, uncertain and are open to media gossip like we see now. (The Hawthorn model is not the precedent for us - they have the mug as a home venue and they are so strong financially because of pokies they will never be a candidate for relocation.)

The new CEO needs to deal with this issue quickly - ie a strong announcement that while we love our partnership with Tassie it is at a maximum of 4 games in 2020 and we will look to wind this back to 2 per year over the coming 3 years. He needs to state clearly that we are turning our attention to growing our presence in Melbourne - using our 'inner city' status as the key for a 10 year plan to double membership and get a core 22-25k North supporters to home games in Melbourne.

If we continue to piss around with the 4-7 model we will continue to drift along on the road to no where. We have made a number of off field moves over the past few months - a strong announcement re a reduced Tassie involvement needs to be made pre Xmas.
I really want our 11 home games back.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

When I suggested the forced connection with Tassie to get our AFLW team was a concern - a possible early warning sign - I got howled down with 'Why don't you just support our girls.' (I do!)
It was a very loud warning shot that many here chose to believe was just a car back-firing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm still watching you.

LOL at your posts to likes ratio.

That's what you get for not believing in Taylor Garner's recovery.

The best way to kill off speculation of this kind would be through a 19th and 20th team added to the league, a brand new flourishing Tasmanian franchise being one of them. The only way that happens is if the local talent pool down there gets stronger and deeper first.

When I suggested the forced connection with Tassie to get our AFLW team was a concern - a possible early warning sign - I got howled down with 'Why don't you just support our girls.' (I do!)
Can't speak for others but I recall howling a different tune. Our women's and reserves teams exist to support North Melbourne. May as well have been worried about Werribee or the O&MFNL taking over.

I'm with you on that. Blind Freddy could see that the AFL was pushing the entire club southwards in its decision to split North's AFLW licence.

Ultimately I have reconciled the issue - or perhaps just comforted myself - with the knowledge that Tassie is almost as big a graveyard for professional sport as Gold Coast, and that there's every chance that the North/Tassie AFLW thing will fail, resulting in the licence becoming exclusively North Melbourne. I figure it's better to get the licence and see what the future holds, rather than not get it and see it go to an Essendon or something s**t like that.
I don't think Tasmania needs to fail for North to succeed. The more effective we are at delivering elite pathway programs, the more bargaining power we have over particular irksome clauses when the current contract expires. Very plausible both parties go their own way after the 2023 season, that wouldn't necessarily mean the previous five years weren't mutually beneficial.

The club is honestly so poorly run but not all the blame can be laid at the admins feet.

Natural and organic growth in Melbourne should have been our main priority and the club should have made a concerted effort into growing our membership base. The fact an election vote killed our Ballarat hopes still pisses me off. Im not against Bendigo as a 2 game option going forward.

Eventually tonight, and one day it will happen via generational growth, we will be able to fill out all the reserved seating at Marvel.

The football will become like the EPL where even the smaller teams can cover 75% of the grounds seating.

The issue for us is the Medallion club takes up the prime seating and it hurts.

Marvel is a terrible ground for us and I get the club’s frustration in wanting an alternative.

We can’t generate anywhere the amount of revenue from corporate seating that Geelong can and it hurts.

We actually participate in this competition as a handicapped side.

I firmly believe until all teams have their own ground and I mean full rights to seating and play each other once a year alternating between home and away every other year, the fixture will remain warped.

Marvel stadium was the right idea. But it’s set up was downright thievery.
* Kenneth and Ian Collins.
Absolute vermin

Hawks and Roos actively working to stop a Tasmanian AFL team
Hawthorn and North Melbourne are actively campaigning against a Tasmanian AFL team through self-interest, an inquiry has been told.
BRETT STUBBS, Sports Editor, Mercury

Subscriber only
|
December 3, 2019 4:57pm

similars

HAWTHORN and North Melbourne have become addicted to Tasmanian taxpayer funds and are actively working to deny the state’s entry into the AFL, a parliamentary committee has heard.

The Legislative Council Select Committee Inquiry into AFL in Tasmania has heard from well-respected veteran football broadcaster and Tasmanian Hall of Fame Icon Tim Lane, a long-time supporter of a Tasmanian AFL team, who said such a team was the only hope for the code in the state.

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett has often raised concerns whether a Tasmanian AFL team was sustainable.

But Mr Lane said both Tasmanian co-tenants, but in particular the Hawks, were unhealthily dependent on the $8.5 million a year they share annually to play four games each in Launceston and Hobart.

“You have two clubs in particular, Hawthorn and North Melbourne, who are profiting from Tasmania and — I think it is fair to say — and happy to lead the charge to keep Tasmania held at arm’s length because it is in their interests not to have a Tasmanian team because that would cost them their sponsorship,” Mr Lane told the committee.

“Hawthorn in particular have been activists in that area of seeking to deny Tasmania its ambition while at the same time raking off lavish sums of Tasmanian money every year.

“Hawthorn have a vested interest in denying Tasmania its right.
“It is the AFL as the central administration which ultimately has the responsibility but there are other forces at work as well.”

A North Melbourne spokesman said the club had a proven record of helping and developing Tasmanian grassroots football and players, while Hawthorn was also contacted for comment.

In his submission, Mr Lane also said it must be a stand-alone Tasmanian team to unify the state, just as football heartland states Western Australia and South Australia had start-up teams, not failed Melbourne clubs relocated to Perth or Adelaide.

He said shared games between Hobart and Launceston would symbolise the state’s unity, with one city hosting six roster games and the other five and the first home final if the state should qualify and then rotating each year.

Mr Lane, who was raised in Devonport and worked in Launceston before moving to Melbourne for work, said the AFL Players Association should have a say in where the team was based, but in his opinion Hobart would be preferable.

“It would be reasonable to expect that there would be infrastructure there, the social circumstances and what have you of the capital city be available to a group of 40 young men coming together to play football there,” he said.

“The idea of putting it into a regional city of lesser population and infrastructure and everything else is something that could be seen to weaken the case.”

Mr Lane also slapped down an anti-state AFL team submission by local sports promoter Richard Welsh who suggested Tasmanians would not switch from current allegiances, saying both West and South Australians embraced their own teams after years of following then-VFL clubs.

He was a big supporter of the Government’s AFL Taskforce but said it was an indictment on football administration in the state that it had to be done by Government as opposed to being championed by the sport’s governing body.

Mr Lane said aside from the economic and social benefits of a Tasmanian AFL team, the AFL also had a moral obligation to introduce a stand-alone side.

“Tasmania is inconvenient to it,” he said.

“I think it feels increasingly uncomfortable and I think that is something that provides some comfort to us that fight this battle that inevitably the AFL is being wedged not just in Tasmania but also in Victoria in particular there are people taking an interest in this case.

“They see the fact in a moral sense it is a no-brainer and in a football sense in many ways it is no-brainer but for the AFL it is uncomfortable.”

template

55670c4695dfa95d6f2179cf89fab56c

Hawthorn and North Melbourne are actively campaigning against a Tasmanian AFL team through self-interest, an inquiry has been told.

Subscriber only
|

similars

HAWTHORN and North Melbourne have become addicted to Tasmanian taxpayer funds and are actively working to deny the state’s entry into the AFL, a parliamentary committee has heard.

The Legislative Council Select Committee Inquiry into AFL in Tasmania has heard from well-respected veteran football broadcaster and Tasmanian Hall of Fame Icon Tim Lane, a long-time supporter of a Tasmanian AFL team, who said such a team was the only hope for the code in the state.

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett has often raised concerns whether a Tasmanian AFL team was sustainable.

But Mr Lane said both Tasmanian co-tenants, but in particular the Hawks, were unhealthily dependent on the $8.5 million a year they share annually to play four games each in Launceston and Hobart.

“You have two clubs in particular, Hawthorn and North Melbourne, who are profiting from Tasmania and — I think it is fair to say — and happy to lead the charge to keep Tasmania held at arm’s length because it is in their interests not to have a Tasmanian team because that would cost them their sponsorship,” Mr Lane told the committee.

“Hawthorn in particular have been activists in that area of seeking to deny Tasmania its ambition while at the same time raking off lavish sums of Tasmanian money every year.

“It is the AFL as the central administration which ultimately has the responsibility but there are other forces at work as well.”

A North Melbourne spokesman said the club had a proven record of helping and developing Tasmanian grassroots football and players, while Hawthorn was also contacted for comment.

In his submission, Mr Lane also said it must be a stand-alone Tasmanian team to unify the state, just as football heartland states Western Australia and South Australia had start-up teams, not failed Melbourne clubs relocated to Perth or Adelaide.

He said shared games between Hobart and Launceston would symbolise the state’s unity, with one city hosting six roster games and the other five and the first home final if the state should qualify and then rotating each year.

Mr Lane, who was raised in Devonport and worked in Launceston before moving to Melbourne for work, said the AFL Players Association should have a say in where the team was based, but in his opinion Hobart would be preferable.

“It would be reasonable to expect that there would be infrastructure there, the social circumstances and what have you of the capital city be available to a group of 40 young men coming together to play football there,” he said.

“The idea of putting it into a regional city of lesser population and infrastructure and everything else is something that could be seen to weaken the case.”

Mr Lane also slapped down an anti-state AFL team submission by local sports promoter Richard Welsh who suggested Tasmanians would not switch from current allegiances, saying both West and South Australians embraced their own teams after years of following then-VFL clubs.

He was a big supporter of the Government’s AFL Taskforce but said it was an indictment on football administration in the state that it had to be done by Government as opposed to being championed by the sport’s governing body.

Mr Lane said aside from the economic and social benefits of a Tasmanian AFL team, the AFL also had a moral obligation to introduce a stand-alone side.

“I think it feels increasingly uncomfortable and I think that is something that provides some comfort to us that fight this battle that inevitably the AFL is being wedged not just in Tasmania but also in Victoria in particular there are people taking an interest in this case.

“They see the fact in a moral sense it is a no-brainer and in a football sense in many ways it is no-brainer but for the AFL it is uncomfortable.”

template

Gee when it comes to intellect the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are blatant opportunists. We've had to do so to survive. How did we develop TT? He was an All-Australian U16 before we even got the Map as our NGA zone. We can't have it both ways - wanting to reduce our Tassie games, yet potting a bloke who is calling us and the Hawks out for making a cash grab.

Subscriber only
|

similars

Watch these idiots shoot themselves in the foot.

You reckon the Rawlings boys, BBB and Ben Buckley aren't passionate Taswegians? Of course they are. They've just had to relocate for education/employment opportunities.

......and Hall and Thomas.

They live in Melb as they have to live for their career, it is hardly a choice.

Why are they idiots?

I'm assuming he said this because time and time again the AFL has said they won't give Tasmania a stand alone team (you could certainly argue their stance has merits), yet here are these Tasmanian football advocates arguing for one while blasting the two teams that give the state any football at all. Tasmania's best hope for their 'own' team in the short to medium term future is co-location.

Why are they idiots?
Lane spouting about the economic benefit to tassie is idiotic. He's just spouting idiotic bullshit to get the feels happening.

For the AFL to even consider a Tasmanian team they need to generate revenue of $40-50 million. Nobody who's pushing for a Tasmanian team has ever come up with a plan that can show that type of sustainable revenue. Until that happens the idea of a Tasmanian team remains a grand delusion.

Lane spouting about the economic benefit to tassie is idiotic. He's just spouting idiotic bullshit to get the feels happening.

For the AFL to even consider a Tasmanian team they need to generate revenue of $40-50 million. Nobody who's pushing for a Tasmanian team has ever come up with a plan that can show that type of sustainable revenue. Until that happens the idea of a Tasmanian team remains a grand delusion.
I love our club BS, but without the equalisation fund, we ain't achieving that turnover either. I reckon we need to show a bit more respect to the football heartland, not take pot shots like the big clubs do to us when they call us minnows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back