News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

I love our club BS, but without the equalisation fund, we ain't achieving that turnover either. I reckon we need to show a bit more respect to the football heartland, not take pot shots like the big clubs do to us when they call us minnows.
Last year we received approx $5 million equalisation from the AFL in our total revenue of $42 million. That's payment for the shitty stadium deal and fixture foisted on us by the AFL.

I can't see Tasmania coming up with funding of $35 million+ per season and none of the tassie proponents have been able to show where that kind of coin would come from.

Last year we received approx $5 million equalisation from the AFL in our total revenue of $42 million. That's payment for the shitty stadium deal and fixture foisted on us by the AFL.

I can't see Tasmania coming up with funding of $35 million+ per season and none of the tassie proponents have been able to show where that kind of coin would come from.
Which is why they start tacking on this moral argument bullshit to getting a team, that doesnt mean s**t.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really struggling to see an issue with tassie getting a side. They have the infrastructure, and the people there like footy. Spare me the economic arguments as if it is your money from your wallet they are spending. Most on here are sick of us playing in Hobart, whats the actual issue?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Really struggling to see an issue with tassie getting a side. They have the infrastructure, and the people there like footy. Spare me the economic arguments as if it is your money from your wallet they are spending. Most on here are sick of us playing in Hobart, whats the actual issue?

Miss the entire Tim Lane ejaculation painting us as self-interested mercenaries?

Ad

Hawthorn’s shirtfront response to Tim Lane’s Tasmanian AFL team claims
BRETT STUBBS, Sports Editor
Mercury

Subscriber only
December 3, 2019 9:31pm
subscriber-breach-pixel

HAWTHORN has lined up Tasmanian football icon Tim Lane over his explosive comments that the Hawks and the Roos have become addicted to Tasmanian taxpayer funds and are working to block the state’s entry into the AFL.
Mr Lane, a well-respected veteran football broadcaster and official Tasmanian Hall of Fame Icon, today told the Legislative Council Select Committee Inquiry into AFL in Tasmania that an AFL team was the only hope for the code in the state.
HAWTHORN, NORTH ADDICTED TO TASSIE CASH

He also said both Hawthorn and North Melbourne, but especially the Hawks, were unhealthily dependent on the $8.5 million a year they share annually to play four games each in Launceston and Hobart.
Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett has often raised concerns whether a Tasmanian AFL team was economically sustainable.
HAWTHORN VERY KEEN TO STAY IN TASMANIA
But Hawthorn hit back at Mr Lane’s comments saying the club is completely committed to Tasmania and has been working with the state’s AFL Taskforce as well as supporting community football.
“Tim Lane’s comments are ill-informed and unhelpful in the debate around Tasmania having its own AFL team,” the Hawks statement said.
“It is easy to be controversial and confrontational in this debate, the real opportunity is in having collaborative and meaningful discussions in the best interests of Tasmanian football and the community.”

8e2baf81cfd56c3d6f443a5ce91a14ea

Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame Icon Tim Lane has told a parliamentary inquiry that Hawthorn and North Melbourne are working against efforts for a Tasmanian AFL team.

Mr Lane had earlier told the committee both of the state’s co-tenants were not working in Tasmania’s best interests.

“You have two clubs in particular, Hawthorn and North Melbourne, who are profiting from Tasmania and — I think it is fair to say — and happy to lead the charge to keep Tasmania held at arm’s length because it is in their interests not to have a Tasmanian team because that would cost them their sponsorship,” Mr Lane told the committee.

“Hawthorn in particular have been activists in that area of seeking to deny Tasmania its ambition while at the same time raking off lavish sums of Tasmanian money every year.

“Hawthorn have a vested interest in denying Tasmania its right.

“It is the AFL as the central administration which ultimately has the responsibility but there are other forces at work as well.”

537b9942cb8bc4e34a3c63290e5e2fe3

Hawthorn and North Melbourne clash at UTAS Stadium. Picture: Adam Trafford/AFL Media/Getty

A North Melbourne spokesman said the club had a proven record of helping and developing Tasmanian grassroots football and players.

In his submission Mr Lane also said it must be a stand-alone Tasmanian team to unify the state, just as football heartland states Western Australia and South Australia had start-up teams, not failed Melbourne clubs relocated to Perth or Adelaide.

He said shared games between Hobart and Launceston would symbolise the state’s unity, with one city hosting six roster games and the other five and the first home final if the state should qualify and then rotating each year.

Mr Lane, who was raised in Devonport and worked in Launceston before moving to Melbourne to commentate on football and cricket, said the AFL Players Association should have a say in where the team was based, but in his opinion Hobart would be preferable.

“It would be reasonable to expect that there would be infrastructure there, the social circumstances and what have you of the capital city be available to a group of 40 young men coming together to play football there,” he said.

“The idea of putting it into a regional city of lesser population and infrastructure and everything else is something that could be seen to weaken the case.”

941933f04d15795fdb9e8bd75c38908c

North Melbourne players Ben Jacobs and Luke McDonald visited Royal Hobart Hospital patient Hugh Dowd, 11, of Mount Stuart, with the club’s 1996 AFL premiership cup during a trip to Hobart in August. Picture: ZAK SIMMONDS

Mr Lane also slapped down an anti-state AFL team submission by local sports promoter Richard Welsh who suggested Tasmanians would not switch from current allegiances, pointing out how both West and South Australians embraced their own teams after years of following then-VFL clubs.

He was a big supporter of the Government’s AFL Taskforce but said it was an indictment on football administration in the state that it had to be done by Government as opposed to being championed by the sport’s governing body.

Mr Lane said aside from the economic and social benefits of a Tasmanian AFL team, the AFL also had a moral obligation to introduce a stand-alone side.

“Tasmania is inconvenient to it,” he said.

“I think it feels increasingly uncomfortable and I think that is something that provides some comfort to us that fight this battle that inevitably the AFL is being wedged not just in Tasmania but also in Victoria in particular there are people taking an interest in this case.

“They see the fact in a moral sense it is a no-brainer and in a football sense in many ways it is no-brainer but for the AFL it is uncomfortable.”

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Hawthorn showing balls that our "club" doesn't possess. Again.

I do get a chuckle out of "addicted to Tasmanian taxpayer funds". Wouldn't this place be a 3rd world slum without Federal "taxpayer funds"?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Hawthorn showing balls that our "club" doesn't possess. Again.

I do get a chuckle out of "addicted to Tasmanian taxpayer funds". Wouldn't this place be a 3rd world slum without Federal "taxpayer funds"?

Fear not there's a savior on the way.

10674290-3x2-700x467.jpg

The warning couldn't have been more stark: ignore the opportunities in Asia and living standards in Tasmania will likely decline.
The state was already ranked Australia's worst economic performer when the 2013 Labor government was urged by Australian National University researchers to pursue stronger ties with the emerging economies of China or India.
With limited resources at its disposal, Lara Giddings' cabinet decided to focus on China.
"In China, we could see there was this growing middle class, and they're the people who are visiting now," the former premier said.
China is now Tasmania's greatest source of international students and a major source of international visitation.
It also accounts for one-third of the state's total international exports — a relationship valued at $1 billion.

I look forward to Tim Lane's scathing attack on China's Tasploitation in tomorrow's dailies.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
No. Nice try. I read the article, a bit emotive but we clearly enjoy the return. I for one wouldnt see an issue with tassie getting a team and us playing all 11 games in Melbourne. My two cents.

Careful with that blood pressure old mate

You're quite the wordsmith. Of course we benefit from the return. As do Tasmania economically from the influx of people who otherwise may not have troubled their tourism businesses.

And yes, amazingly 99.9% would like the bold too.

Let me know when you find the seamless way to do that. Let me know when you find a leprechaun too.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You're quite the wordsmith. Of course we benefit from the return. As do Tasmania economically from the influx of people who otherwise may not have troubled their tourism businesses.

And yes, amazingly 99.9% would like the bold too.

Let me know when you find the seamless way to do that. Let me know when you find a leprechaun too.

Haha im not saying i have the recipe KC. We have, however, just appointed a CEO whose bread and butter is securing enviable financial deals. Perhaps the time is now to extricate ourselves KC and put to bed the hamster on a wheel discussions? The next couple years will be most telling.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Haha im not saying i have the recipe KC. We have, however, just appointed a CEO whose bread and butter is securing enviable financial deals. Perhaps the time is now to extricate ourselves KC and put to bed the hamster on a wheel discussions? The next couple years will be most telling.

Mate, I'm not particularly enamored with the Tasmania deal. I'd love to play full-time home games in Melbourne and hope like heck Ben Amarfio et al can make this a sustainable reality.

But Tim Lane's drivel smears the club in a way I won't accept. Should Richmond be strung up for "exploiting" Cairns? Melbourne with Darwin?

It was ill-informed, inconsistent and emotive. Not that I should've expected any better out Timothy or his offspring.

BigBadByron

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Miss the entire Tim Lane ejaculation painting us as self-interested mercenaries?

I think his words could have been chosen better i agree, but lets not pretend cash is not the clear primary objective of us playing in Tas.

I have no problem with that, but for Tas to get a team it is simply impossible for as long as we and Hawks play in Tas.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think his words could have been chosen better i agree, but lets not pretend cash is not the clear primary objective of us playing in Tas.

I have no problem with that, but for Tas to get a team it is simply impossible for as long as we and Hawks play in Tas.

It's impossible for as long as the prospects of the state not being able to financially support a stand alone team exist. Getting us and the hawks out of Tasmania would literally be among the last steps of any plans for installing a full fledged Tasmanian team here.

BigBadByron

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's impossible for as long as the prospects of the state not being able to financially support a stand alone team exist.

Excellent post and i don't necessarily disagree Tas can support a team financially.

How is GC going? What about the orange *heads totally funded by the AFL?

I can agree that Tas might struggle to survive without support.

The fact these other two (basically completely funded by AFL to "grow the game") teams exist is infuriating to Tasmanian people, as those two clubs cannot either yet bizarrely have an AFL team.

Last edited:
Back