News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

I actually get what they're doing.

They are attempting to put forward a model that has enough input to be seen as serious by the public, and to keep the the virtual signaling exercise rolling along long enough to pressure the AFL to grant them a licence.

There's no chance they will politically fund the bulletproofing of a teams embryonic phase (~20 years)

Of course, once a licence was granted they would step back, put their hands in their pocket, and leave the entire thing in the AFL's lap, whilst doing little more than regurgitate the historical entitlement angle about how they are "owed" a team.

It's an entitlement that they are not owed in my opinion.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of course, once a licence was granted they would step back, put their hands in their pocket, and leave the entire thing in the AFL's lap, whilst doing little more than regurgitate the historical entitlement angle about how they are "owed" a team.

It's an entitlement that they are not owed in my opinion.

Certainly no more than the suburb of Fitzroy is owed a team.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Easy on that one. If nothing else the AFL have shown they love underwriting a good hobby project and propping it up with umpteenth concessions.

NPoxTWxm.jpg

Attachments

• 9EB2D8A1-79CE-4E1F-842D-9A74773750A0.jpeg
    9EB2D8A1-79CE-4E1F-842D-9A74773750A0.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 46
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Welcome back Snake_Baker, I really love your opinion on everything....... any chance you could increase your output please?

I'll see what I can do mate. Sorry I can't return the compliment as I don't remember a single thing you ever posted.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Premier suggests Tasmanian team could replace struggling club
April 27, 2020 — 2.22pm
Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein has urged the AFL to consider reconfiguring the competition by replacing one of its less profitable clubs with one from the Apple Isle.
AFL operating costs are being drastically scaled back as the game tackles its biggest-ever financial crisis in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.
Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein.

The AFL has taken out a $600 million loan to keep the competition afloat and chief executive Gillon McLachlan has consistently said the league's aim is to ensure the survival of all 18 existing clubs.
But Gutwein on Monday said it was time for the AFL to consider whether it could afford to continue propping up struggling clubs in dire financial circumstances.
Advertisement

The AFL has spent millions setting up expansion outfits Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney, and continues to support debt-ridden clubs such as St Kilda.
"They have had clubs that they have had to support in other areas of the country for a long period of time, that they have had to pour money into," Gutwein said.

"Now is an opportunity for the AFL to actually start with a blank sheet of paper and to determine that they should have a national competition in the future and that Tasmania should have an AFL team at some stage in the future – and for them to consider whether some of those outlying clubs that they have poured so much money into are part of the AFL's future moving forward."
Gutwein also confirmed he had spoken to McLachlan about the possibility of basing a quarantine hub in Tasmania as the AFL looks for a way to restart the 2020 season.

But Tasmania is yet to receive full details about which party would foot the bill and Gutwein questioned whether there would be an economic benefit to hosting a hub, especially if matches were played without crowds.
"I suspect that it may, largely, be very small," Gutwein said.
"In fact, it may even come with a cost, so I want those things to be answered first and foremost before we engage and put forward a firm proposal."
AAP

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
......any suggestion of the money his government is going to put up to bullet proof this idea.......................yet?
The government has talked about contributing 8 to 12 million a year to run a team,a lot of people have been suggesting that it should be North Melbourne that relocates,so it will be interesting what happens with this.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The government has talked about contributing 8 to 12 million a year to run a team......

Okay, where's the other $25-30 million? Are Tasmania claiming a right to a team AND a right to others paying for it?

Sars-CoV-2 just put a nail in that coffin.

.........a lot of people have been suggesting that it should be North Melbourne that relocates,so it will be interesting what happens with this.

A lot of people have been saying such things for 150 years. Don't put your burial money on it occurring, or you will end up rotting in the streets.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Okay, where's the other $25-30 million? Are Tasmania claiming a right to a team AND a right to others paying for it?

Sars-CoV-2 just put a nail in that coffin.

A lot of people have been saying such things for 150 years. Don't put your burial money on it occurring, or you will end up rotting in the streets.
A number of big corporates and a number of smaller one's indicated during the business case they are definitly interested in sponsoring a Tassie team if we are granted a license.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
A number of big corporates and a number of smaller one's indicated during the business case they are definitly interested in sponsoring a Tassie team if we are granted a license.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..............more empty rhetoric.

Tasmania's plan consists of a shaming exercise based upon some perceived historical entitlement, a bit of government start up cash that will quickly disappear, a couple of sponsors, and then relying on the AFL to make up the inevitable shortfalls once the die is cast.

The government has talked about contributing 8 to 12 million a year to run a team,a lot of people have been suggesting that it should be North Melbourne that relocates,so it will be interesting what happens with this.
Oh Government Talk. Right. Got Yah. Governments never make hollow promises. :stern look

Oh and “Lots” of people are suggesting that North relocate? Define “Lots”. Is “Lots” an old Hag Journo, some internet trolls, the odd way out there thinking moron and some uneducated brainless Twits? :stern look

So yeah it should be interesting. Interesting how the Tasmanian Economy survives COVID19 with all that incestuous behaviour that happens “down there”. :stern look

Is the article and the Tasmanian guy not referring to moving Gold Coast or GWS?
St Kildas debt is really starting to count against them. People are starting to notice.

St Kildas debt is really starting to count against them. People are starting to notice.

Suspect they're noticing now because when the sh*t hits the fan it is financial reality not the league / media approved PR notes that count.

I think it was just because outside of GWS/GCS - St Kilda was the only VIC club explicitly mentioned.

I'm not throwing them under the bus - just happy that for once we're not the ones getting lined up based on agreed talking points and not reality. This is a narrative that we need to get behind (without being seen as a cheerleader to other team's failings). For too long we have been the default financial talking point.

Wouldn't it make sense for the AFL to just admit failure, re-brand the unsuccessful CG franchise as Tasmania and relocate it there? It wouldn't rely on Tas government funding, just the current level of AFL funding, which should be reduced over time as it is likely to gain a real supporter base.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Wouldn't it make sense for the AFL to just admit failure, re-brand the unsuccessful CG franchise as Tasmania and relocate it there? It wouldn't rely on Tas government funding, just the current level of AFL funding, which should be reduced over time as it is likely to gain a real supporter base.

They are still carrying Sydney after 40 years.

It isn't about self sustainability, it's a long term strategy to crush rugby and take over the winter sports slot.

Back