News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Failure to capitalise off field in the immediate aftermath followed by Carey's shenanigans pretty much f’ed us there IMO.

I think better phrasing would be "win games of football and the rest will be a hell of a lot easier to sort out". But it can ultimately go both ways, you can capitalise off success or you can fumble it. If we did have a good run I think we might struggle to make highly significant membership gains, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the corporate sponsorship floodgates opened.
Unless you're Brisbane

Oh well, it looks as though members can go to 16-17 matches in Victoria in 2022.

I might even purchase one again.

Ah yes, the annual roll over after months of posing.

Jesus H Christ, so when the Tasmanian membership is excluded, membership growth in real terms has only grown by ~1000 since the 2007 fightback?

That is ****ing deplorable.

View attachment 1061369

2008 figure massively inflated by "sympathy memberships" bought by supporters of other clubs.

2009 the real base figures.

Well Tassie has 7000 north members so you could lose a good number if north stops playing in Tassie.

Yep sure.

How many could we gain by a sustained period of good footy played all in Melbourne?

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Yep sure.

How many could we gain by a sustained period of good footy played all in Melbourne?

Our best chance to get members on board is while we’re on the way up with young talent. People get excited.

Given we’ve hit rock bottom performance wise (well I ******* hope so), if the kids can show enough this season to get the swinging members on board from 2022, it’d be as good a time as any to get back to Melbourne.

Our best chance to get members on board is while we’re on the way up with young talent. People get excited.

Given we’ve hit rock bottom performance wise (well I ******* hope so), if the kids can show enough this season to get the swinging members on board from 2022, it’d be as good a time as any to get back to Melbourne.

100 per cent agree.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's not $4m - it's not even $3m but let's assume it is.

The job of the Board/CEO is to find those sponsors and alternative revenue sources and they have 18 months to do so.

However let's say they could only find half of that ($1.5m) via an assortment of sponsors, events, big end of town donations- If 30,000 locally based NFMC supporters put in an extra $50 for a year or 2 that raises $1.5m pa and makes up the difference. In addition we dont claim the maximum we could off the afl distribution and we could add another mill for a couple of years there.

No one wants us to go back to the old days of debt build up but there are ways to raise revenue.

It's hard to do but we need to get off the Hobart teat and start building this club up from within Melbourne - utilising our key advantage of inner city accessibility, family/community club status (no pokies) and an exciting brand of footy.

It will take years/decades to do this but it's a better path forward than this co location nonsense (which has never worked for any professional club across the globe).
I'd be guessing North are getting a shite load more than 1.5 mil. out of Tassie, with sponsorship and government incentives.
In our current financial market, sponsorship is bloody hard to come by.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You would struggle to find a more delusional poster than "madmug" in the Tassie AFL team thread on the AFL board.

He actually believes the Tasmanian premier has the power to dictate the AFL draw for Tasmanian matches.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Well most people in Tasmania would prefer the Hawks and North deals to end,the Premier made it clear today if we don't get a yes or no from the AFL on a team it will be the end for the teams in Tasmania.

Okay, if the folks of Tasmania aeren't interested in AFL footy or the economic benefits the "fly in" clubs bring, then it should probably be wound up.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Odds on Tassie govt. blinks.

Of course, and Kennett knows it.

If they toss out the fly in clubs they gain nothing and lose economic benefits.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of course, and Kennett knows it.

If they toss out the fly in clubs they gain nothing and lose economic benefits.
Its such a dumb fight to pick given the timing and economic uncertainty and most certainly tied to local politicsl ends.

Surely they don't expect this to be successful, so it has to be a chest beating exercise with legitimate excuses for its failure, ie the league not having the resources on hand to start a new franchise post covid.

Back