News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

The government may decide to take over the sponsorship,I know they are determined to keep both teams playing Tassie games.
The Government “May” but you “Know”. I put it to you that you don’t know what’s gonna happen when it comes to AFL Football on the Map. :stern look

TT line has said they plan on keeping their sponsorship with North despite signing onto sponsor our new nbl team with the CEO saying it means they can sponsor both a winter and summer sport.

The "great" Nick Riewoldt was getting around down there last week helping do yet another report. At least he had his clothes on in the photo.

Report is done, I believe. He was fielding questions for Carter, along with the rest of the taskforce.

Spirit of Tasmania has today announced a major sponsorship with tassie's new nbl team.It will be interesting to see if this has an effect on North Melbourne's Spirit sponsorship that is due to end at season's end, interesting times ahead.

Great news for Tassie. The NBL picked a perfect team name too, something very Tasmanian but not the generic Devils/Tigers.

The AFL players association has come out in support of a Tasmanian AFL team and believes it is not far away,this may well mean the end of North Melbourne's Tassie games if this happens.

The most dangerous ant in the world apparently.

There you go. Just looked it up because I thought the Brazilian army ant was, but you’re right. The Jumping Jack is the most venomous. Honestly, it’s crazy how many things can kill a person in Australia. Still wouldn’t want to be in the path of Brazilian Army ants as they roll through an area just devouring everything in their path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There you go. Just looked it up because I thought the Brazilian army ant was, but you’re right. The Jumping Jack is the most venomous. Honestly, it’s crazy how many things can kill a person in Australia. Still wouldn’t want to be in the path of Brazilian Army ants as they roll through an area just devouring everything in their path.
Yeah ... I grew up in Hobart. It seems bizarre that those things are so deadly. We used to stir them up all the time as kids. To this day none have ever got me. (Unlike the bastard jumping ants that live round here.) Tho my brother and an old family friend are both potentially at risk from them. So its probably not as far fetched and crazy as it seems. Even back then tho they are smaller black ants, half an inch long at most, they have these big bright orange pincers that really stand out. The way they move - keeping their pincers pointed at you is kind of intimidating.

Woodlands Park in the same Street as Windy Hill was once infested with them. It was maybe 50 percent jack jumper nests.

My sister has to carry an EpiPen around with her because of jackjumpers. Some people (me) react absolutely fine to a bite from them, but others are far less lucky.
Your sister has been bitten by a netballer?

Last edited:
There are so many issues with Tassie. Small population, lack of corporate support, north/south split, reliance on government funding, footy fans supporting existing teams, attracting players to Tassie. If the AFL knew it would work, they wouldn't be dragging their feet. They know it won't.

If they knew it would work, they would have been there 25 years ago.

There are so many issues with Tassie. Small population, lack of corporate support, north/south split, reliance on government funding, footy fans supporting existing teams, attracting players to Tassie. If the AFL knew it would work, they wouldn't be dragging their feet. They know it won't.

The "lack of corporate support" ones always makes me laugh, as if North Melbourne is funded by "Aussie battler" local car manufacturer Mazda. I have fond memories of visiting the little mum and pop Emirates store in Collingwood as a kid, also.

With all due respect, anyone citing the North/South divide in 2021 doesn't really have the knowledge to be discussing Tasmanian football. It reeks of "I've never been to or researched your state, but let me tell you how it operates".

The "lack of corporate support" ones always makes me laugh, as if North Melbourne is funded by "Aussie battler" local car manufacturer Mazda. I have fond memories of visiting the little mum and pop Emirates store in Collingwood as a kid, also.

With all due respect, anyone citing the North/South divide in 2021 doesn't really have the knowledge to be discussing Tasmanian football. It reeks of "I've never been to or researched your state, but let me tell you how it operates".

North/South came from friends of mine that live in Tassie who believe the divide is alive and well. If a potential side is based in Hobart or Launceston, or is seem to be 'based more' in one region, the other half is likely to be less enthused with the side. Happy to be corrected.

And corporate support isn't just a major sponsor, it's the big group of minor sponsors, coterie groups, etc. There's just less money in the state. Around 1.5% of GDP.

North/South came from friends of mine that live in Tassie who believe the divide is alive and well. If a potential side is based in Hobart or Launceston, or is seem to be 'based more' in one region, the other half is likely to be less enthused with the side. Happy to be corrected.

And corporate support isn't just a major sponsor, it's the big group of minor sponsors, coterie groups, etc. There's just less money in the state. Around 1.5% of GDP.
I'd be shocked if it wasn't mostly Hobart/southern based but with half the games and a good proportion of training and community related sessions up north. You can never make everyone happy but I think that's the best solution. There's not really much of a way around it, and there's a big difference between being a "Hobart based Tasmanian team" compared to being the "Hobart team". As long as neither the northern or southern Tasmania are a primary part of the club's identity I don't think many will care too much.

The AFL players association has come out in support of a Tasmanian AFL team and believes it is not far away,this may well mean the end of North Melbourne's Tassie games if this happens.

It would involve more footballers getting a job so that is a no brainer from their perspective.

I am fine for our association to end, I would have preferred that we had put more leg work over the last few years to expand our supporter base development work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back