Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
There’s been plenty of memorable games between North and Carlton. Good and Bad.

1976 Blighty’s game
1976 Preliminary Final
1979 Round 7
1983 Rd 10 111 point win
1985 Elimination Final comeback
1987 Battle of Britain
1998 Rd 9 Postie Pat running on the ground with a wooden spoon
1999 Grand Final
2003 Rd 22 124 pt win

There’s been some horrors too
1978 Rd 9 10 hiding at Arden St to end 8 game winning streak
1984 Rd 1 137pt loss bringing an era to a crashing end
1987 Rd 22 Kernahan after siren winner
1988 Rd 20 Gleeson time on
1995 Preliminary Final

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That 1995 prelim entrenched my hatred for them. Went to the game with my uncle and cousins. I was 12 years old, my two cousins were 11 & 15. Felt like we were surrounded by the Carlton supporters during the game. Must’ve been in their area. Anyway, as we left they were all hanging s**t on us rather then enjoying the win. As we walked out a Carlton supporter, I’m guessing he was in his 30’s stood in front of us pointing down the stairs and was saying something...poor bugger didn’t realise we were with my uncle who’s a bit of a nutcase was with us.

That and my biological father supports Carlton.

Fair to say the 99 GF and the last 20 odd years of their shitness has been fantastic.

There’s been plenty of memorable games between North and Carlton. Good and Bad.

1976 Blighty’s game
1976 Preliminary Final
1979 Round 7
1983 Rd 10 111 point win
1985 Elimination Final comeback
1987 Battle of Britain
1998 Rd 9 Postie Pat running on the ground with a wooden spoon
1999 Grand Final
2003 Rd 22 124 pt win

There’s been some horrors too
1978 Rd 9 10 hiding at Arden St to end 8 game winning streak
1984 Rd 1 137pt loss bringing an era to a crashing end
1987 Rd 22 Kernahan after siren winner
1988 Rd 20 Gleeson time on
1995 Preliminary Final

Gee, there have been a few... Nice thread Passmore.

Some of my recollections of these games:

1976 Blighty’s game: I wasn't there, but I do know someone that left at about the 15 minute mark of the last quarter to beat the traffic! Of all games.

1983 Rd 10 111 point win: One of my favourites. Got in trouble the next day at school for giving it to a Bluebagger. Our forward line especially was rather young that season (Foley, Jonas, McDonald, etc...) & I felt a premiership coming. Alas, it wasn't to be.

1985 Elimination Final comeback: As much as the comeback was great, the main thing I recall about this game was Alex Marcou doing his hammy (I think he passed the shot on goal to someone else), Peter McKenna saying he was done for the game, and then Marcou returning 10 minutes later looking as fit as a fiddle.

1987 Battle of Britain: UFC hits & WWE comedy all rolled into one.

1999 Grand Final: Lots of things, but probably meeting Dwayne Russell after the game, who looked super grumpy that we had won.

1987 Rd 22 Kernahan after siren winner: The only loss of the 5 matches listed that I can recall. I must easily erase bad losses, but living in the West, the long way back from Waverley can wreak havoc with the mind.

davefromjerra

All Australian
Mar 3, 2005
Magnetic Island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anzac Day 1974. Beating Carlton by 12 goals in front of 54000 at VFL Park. Wade and Briedis both kick 5. Slamming Sam comes on as 19th man at halftime and bags 4.
Wonderful day. We’d had a good season just missing the finals in 73, on this day it felt that we had finally arrived as a realistic premiership threat.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
That 1995 prelim entrenched my hatred for them. Went to the game with my uncle and cousins. I was 12 years old, my two cousins were 11 & 15. Felt like we were surrounded by the Carlton supporters during the game. Must’ve been in their area. Anyway, as we left they were all hanging s**t on us rather then enjoying the win. As we walked out a Carlton supporter, I’m guessing he was in his 30’s stood in front of us pointing down the stairs and was saying something...poor bugger didn’t realise we were with my uncle who’s a bit of a nutcase was with us.

That and my biological father supports Carlton.

Fair to say the 99 GF and the last 20 odd years of their shitness has been fantastic.

Can confirm they were obnoxious that night especially at Punt Rd End... some scuffles were sighted.

1976 Blighty's game: The old man and my brother went to this game, I was only a young kid in short pants at the time. I was reliably informed by my brother that when Blight went back for the kick that he took off his boots and kicked it in his socks. As the story was told you can kick longer in just your socks, it's like a science thing n'all that.

1976 Prelim v Carlton: Similar story as the old man and brother went along. No stories about the superpowers of socks this time, just the story of a bet the old man had with a bloke from the pub. Here's where the reliability of primary sources becomes a problem again (the Brother) but as far as I can tell the old man got a bit carried away and bet either $500 or $1000 on the game. He didn't really have that sort of cash just laying around, he did have four kids under the age of 11 which may have been a factor in that shortage of cash. Naturally enough, as the game went on the old man became increasingly tense with North trailing narrowly at every break. Here's where the brothers version of events kicks in again, this time more believably... "he just went all silent in the last quarter and turned this funny colour... when the siren went he just sat there for a minute or so". North won. The old mans head didn't explode. A win for the powers of North over evil.

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The 1996 game when we got our revenge for the 1995 PF. The merger debacle had failed this week but didn't affect the players.There were no seats available in the section we normally sat in so we had to stand, much to the annoyance of some Carlton fans who shouldn't have been there anyway. Towards three quarter time there were plenty of seats, as the Carlton fans all started leaving. 12 goals to 6 after half time. Schwass killed them.
1976. A huge line ouside Princes Park. Didn't get in until halfway through the firat quarter. What a last quarter by Blight. Three marks and three goals in three minutes. Prior to the last quarter he had done nothing.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1965 Night flag at Lakeside oval !

North 14. 13. 97
Carltank 9. 3. 57

20200426_123147.jpg

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
On the 'bad' side was the Grand Final rematch in 2000 at Princes Park. The bad was that we lost. But it was one of the best individual performances I've ever seen against us. Koutoufides had 38 touches, 5 goals and 10 clearances. He was amazing that day and was at the peak of his career. Obviously got the 3 votes that day and probably would have won the Brownlow that year but did his knee with 3 games to go.

Cyber_punk

Doomer
Feb 16, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We went easy on them in 99. A weird game in that they had as many scoring shots yet we dominated and it was never in doubt.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
We went easy on them in 99. A weird game in that they had as many scoring shots yet we dominated and it was never in doubt.

Interesting theory. They kicked 3.2 to 0.0 in the first 10mins of the second quarter. Aside from those three goals we scored 18.8 to 6.13 in the first 3.5 quarters. We were 47 at that stage then they kicked three of the last 4 goals so they probably massaged the scoreboard damage a bit.

Went easy on the oppo in a Grand Final? I don't think so - maybe only at the end. We had a bad 10mins in the second quarter and took the foot off the brake when the game was done. Outside of that we completely outplayed them and it was a pretty complete performance.

According to the OP, there hasn't been a memorable NM/Carl game in 17 years. So just to throw in a few since 2003
2004 - Wells's winner in the last minute (a rare game I missed as I got married the day before and was heading to Fiji for our honeymoon!!)
2006 - 3 goals down 8mins into the last quarter but kick the last 6 goals of the game.
2007 - Gold Coast 42 goal shoot-out.
2009 - Simmo's last game. 10 point loss with 5 more scoring shots
2010 - Lindsay Thomas career best 7 goals
2012 - Petrie 7 goals. Judd's chicken wing on Adams. Ziebell's stupid suspension. North kick 24.5 the 3rd most accurate North score ever.
2013 - Trail all night - up to 6 goals at some stages but lose by a point. Carlton sneak into finals ahead of us. Scott will end 0-5 against Malthouse as coach.
2017 - North lead by 45 points during the second quarter but fall behind in the last. Steady to win by 17

Last edited:

Cyber_punk

Doomer
Feb 16, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interesting theory. They kicked 3.2 to 0.0 in the first 10mins of the second quarter. Aside from those three goals we scored 18.8 to 6.13 in the first 3.5 quarters. We were 47 at that stage then they kicked three of the last 4 goals so they probably massaged the scoreboard damage a bit.

Went easy on the oppo in a Grand Final? I don't think so - maybe only at the end. We had a bad 10mins in the second quarter and took the foot off the brake when the game was done. Outside of that we completely outplayed them and it was a pretty complete performance.

According to the OP, there hasn't been a memorable NM/Carl game in 17 years. So just to throw in a few since 2003
2004 - Wells's winner in the last minute (a rare game I missed as I got married the day before and was heading to Fiji for our honeymoon!!)
2006 - 3 goals down 8mins into the last quarter but kick the last 6 goals of the game.
2012 - Petrie 7 goals. Judd's chicken wing on Adams. Ziebell's stupid suspension. North kick 24.5 the 3rd most accurate North score ever.
2013 - Trail all night - up to 6 goals at some stages but lose by a point. Carlton sneak into finals ahead of us. Scott will end 0-5 against Malthouse as coach.
2017 - North lead by 45 points during the second quarter but fall behind in the last. Steady to win by 17

Yeah, just mean about the final margin. They were VERY average that year and lost a final by 73 points. I felt like we were a 10 goal better team than them at minimum. But we had a bit of Geelong 09 about us - Vet team that knew they didn't have to play 4 quarters to still win comfortably, which is fair enough.

The 2004 game was wild. We held a decent lead most of the day because of our incredible accuracy in the first half. Carlton reeled us in by Wells saved us.
That early 2007 game was Simmo's 250th and later in the year we played them again in Archer's club games record. We won by 82 points and absolutely belted em.
2010 The Lindsay game, I believe we were celebrating our Friday Night football pioneering?

Brad went 0-5 against Malthouse? Gee that's s**t. Laidley had a few wins but struggled against his pies too.

Honestly in my time following the club (22 years) we have inflicted so much pain on them and they've been so awful it's hard to hate them.

Last edited:
Honestly in my time following the club (22 years) we have inflicted so much pain on them and they've been so awful it's hard to hate them
I've been following North a bit over double that amount of time and it requires literally no effort on my part to absolutely despise the arrogant, cheating campaigners. They're just * in better looking jumpers.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

I love beating the pricks as much as anyone, but my lasting memories are mainly around matches of high stakes. Since 2000 both teams have meandered between mediocre and s**t with the odd foray into finals.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Yeah, just mean about the final margin. They were VERY average that year and lost a final by 73 points. I felt like we were a 10 goal better team than them at minimum. But we had a bit of Geelong 09 about us - Vet team that knew they didn't have to play 4 quarters to still win comfortably, which is fair enough.

The 2004 game was wild. We held a decent lead most of the day because of our incredible accuracy in the first half. Carlton reeled us in by Wells saved us.
That early 2007 game was Simmo's 250th and later in the year we played them again in Archer's club games record. We won by 82 points and absolutely belted em.
2010 The Lindsay game, I believe we were celebrating our Friday Night football pioneering?

Brad went 0-5 against Malthouse? Gee that's s**t. Laidley had a few wins but struggled against his pies too.

Honestly in my time following the club (22 years) we have inflicted so much pain on them and they've been so awful it's hard to hate them.
Laidley was 4-6 against Malthouse but the combined wins for those 4 games was like 38 points or something.
Scott went 0-5 against Malthouse and then went 5-0 against Bolton.
Scott went 4-10 against Ross Lyon.
Scott went 3-8 against Clarko.
Scott went 3-9 against Horse.

Miserable.

2013 - Trail all night - up to 6 goals at some stages but lose by a point.
Other than the 2009 game (which got a run in the funniest things you've heard at the footy thread) I stood on the social club wing for all of those games, usually next to my best mate who follows Carlton. At the end of the 2013 game some w***er in a Carlton beanie in front of us turned and game me spray, and watching him recoil like a scared turtle when my mate in a Carlton scarf asked him to say that again was also worthy of "funniest things you've seen at the footy thread".

I hate Carlton. Some of my formative football memories are of John Elliotts smugness when they tried to end us. Never Forget. Further after they thrashed us at the 1995 Preliminary I was walking back to the station with the family and some drunk Carlton prick grabbed the teenage me by the scarf to put me in a headlock to give me a spray before he ran off like a coward as my older brother stepped in. Can't stand the obnoxious pricks.

That said when I talk footy to my mate I feel a tinge of sympathy as he loves Carlton and he laments that his 3 kids have only ever seen Carlton when they're s**t. Only old enough to get excited about hype of picks and rebuilds as he puts it. Knowing his passion I feel for him.

Then I reminisce about my youth and Carlton and think "nah, * those guys"

Other than the 2009 game (which got a run in the funniest things you've heard at the footy thread) I stood on the social club wing for all of those games, usually next to my best mate who follows Carlton. At the end of the 2013 game some w***er in a Carlton beanie in front of us turned and game me spray, and watching him recoil like a scared turtle when my mate in a Carlton scarf asked him to say that again was also worthy of "funniest things you've seen at the footy thread".

I hate Carlton. Some of my formative football memories are of John Elliotts smugness when they tried to end us. Never Forget. Further after they thrashed us at the 1995 Preliminary I was walking back to the station with the family and some drunk Carlton prick grabbed the teenage me by the scarf to put me in a headlock to give me a spray before he ran off like a coward as my older brother stepped in. Can't stand the obnoxious pricks.

That said when I talk footy to my mate I feel a tinge of sympathy as he loves Carlton and he laments that his 3 kids have only ever seen Carlton when they're s**t. Only old enough to get excited about hype of picks and rebuilds as he puts it. Knowing his passion I feel for him.

Then I reminisce about my youth and Carlton and think "nah, fu** those guys"

Growing up in Hobart it seemed like every campaigner went for Carlton. Had a teacher compare Fitzpatrick to Jesus after Rene Kink spat on him in one GF. Then I moved to Melbourne and it was just as Sheedy got success for *.

So I enjoy both sides shitness these days. Long may it continue.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I love beating the pricks as much as anyone, but my lasting memories are mainly around matches of high stakes. Since 2000 both teams have meandered between mediocre and s**t with the odd foray into finals.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Aside from Gold Coast, every team has made a Grand Final more recently than us and Carlton. In fact, there is only one other instance in history of two sides playing each other in a Grand Final and neither appearing again for more than 7 years. The list has two outliers, and then a massive amount of daylight.

23 years - 1944 Richmond v Fitzroy (Richmond made it next in 1967)
21 years* - 1999 North Melbourne v Carlton (???)
7 years - 2011 Collingwood v Geelong (Collingwood made it next in 2018)
6 years - 2006 Sydney v West Coast (Sydney made it next in 2012)
5 years - 1978 Hawthorn v North Melbourne (Hawthorn made it next in 1983)
4 years - 1960 Melbourne v Collingwood (both made it in 1964)
4 years - 1963 Geelong v Hawthorn (Geelong made it next in 1967)
4 years - 1966 Collingwood v St.Kilda (Collingwood made it next in 1970)
4 years - 1971 Hawthorn v St.Kilda (Hawthorn made it next in 1975)
4 years - 1982 Carlton v Richmond (Carlton made it next in 1986)
4 years* - 2016 Western Bulldogs v Sydney (???)
3 years - 1900 Fitzroy v Melbourne (Fitzroy made it next in 1903)
3 years - 1913 Fitzroy v St.Kilda (Fitzroy made it next in 1916)
3 years - 1921 Richmond v Carlton (Richmond made it next in 1924)
3 years - 1924 Richmond v Essendon (Richmond made it next in 1927)
3 years - 1962 Essendon v Carlton (Essendon made it next in 1965)
3 years - 1990 Essendon v Collingwood (Essendon made it next in 1993)
3 years - 2004 Port Adelaide v Brisbane Lions (Port Adelaide made it next in 2007)

Back