Preview NMFC V GWS (JLT) - WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEE

Remove this Banner Ad

The only reason Hansen goes forward this week is to get a run. We have named 2 KPFs and Preuss.

As for Cunners, he will likely be replaced through the middle in round one by a combo of Clarke, Higgins, Swallow, Dumont and JZ. Mountford will go close tho.

I have no issues with Hansen getting a run, just not as forward. I'd prefer that we give more AFL-like match practice to McKay if we want to add another tall forward. Agree on the midfield rotation, would love to see more of Mountford though.

All i want out of this game is McKay to kick 8, Preuss to be so physical that Mumford cries, Simpkin to embarrass Shiel so much that he forces him to retire for 2017 and then apply to transfer to us over preseason, Durdin to keep Cameron scoreless and EVW to make Toby Green look like a park footballer. Oh and no injuries.

That's all i want.

Think bigger

First goal: finalise best 22 for round 1. Give EVW, Durdin, Hibberd and others a chance to secure a spot
Second goal: get game time into the walking wounded, like Taz, Wright, Hansens, etc

Don't be surprised if Higgins, JZ, Macmillan or other senior players miss.

Who is this Garner people are talking about? :stern look
I am more confused by Bard's mention of this 'shinboner spirit', what is that, I thought we scrapped it or is it the name of Bard's butcher. :stern look

Last edited:
Williams out?

Yeah dunno what's up with this. Maybe Marley has proven all he needs to prove, trained the house down etc and is just having a rest? But surely you don't rest a player who's been caning it whilst adjusting to a new gameplan/team mates etc? He's got a lot to prove, he's hungry, keep him at it you'd think. Unless he and Wright are in direct competition for a spot and this is Sammy's audition? But that doesn't make sense 'cos surely a) he's already a proven, reliable senior player and thus:
b) comes straight back in when fit - unless Williams has gone past him...maybe I'm overthinking this. I really like Wright and I really like what Williams brings to us. Hope they both can fit in our best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah dunno what's up with this. Maybe Marley has proven all he needs to prove, trained the house down etc and is just having a rest? But surely you don't rest a player who's been caning it whilst adjusting to a new gameplan/team mates etc? He's got a lot to prove, he's hungry, keep him at it you'd think. Unless he and Wright are in direct competition for a spot and this is Sammy's audition? But that doesn't make sense 'cos surely a) he's already a proven, reliable senior player and thus:
b) comes straight back in when fit - unless Williams has gone past him...maybe I'm overthinking this. I really like Wright and I really like what Williams brings to us. Hope they both can fit in our best 22.

Gross generalisation, but most players only need 2 solid preseason games.

I don't think you're overthinking it. Could be a competition for spots. There are only a limited number of places.

Scotts is a degenerate victim gambler.

Has repeatedly chucked pineapples (Gibson,Wright,Swallow,Hansen)into the 'Big Red' game searching for the major prize and free spins but never gets it.

He finally saw the light and did a first 4 on TrackSide, came up with Durdin, Vickers-Willis, Williams to round out the best potential back 6 in decades and he throws his winning ticket in the bin.

Just play the blokes who are fit and in form irrespective of tenure and age.

Must have missed the part where the Round 1 side has been selected already.

That aside, your post appears to be an exercise in cognitive dissonance. As Kimbo alluded to, a number of mitigating factors and the various pre-season agendas at play mean that JLT games are never going to be a comprehensive indicator of "form". Certainly not enough to select a Round 1 side on. That would be insanity. Conditioning concerns notwithstanding, it's largely a chance for the club to get a look at some fringe types and new faces, and for them to make a bid for selection with some particularly merit-worthy performances. (See Prius, Bob, Sex Ed II.) But as far as a meaningful formline goes with regards to more established players - the players who comprise the core of our current side, and who often give up pre-season game time to make way for the aforementioned new faces and/or to remain injury-free - then you have to go back to the end of the previous season for that.

Which of course puts Gibbo straight back in the selection frame. Which you're against. Suffice to say, that's some sweet logic you've got going on there.

(And if any of the players that you have a vendetta against kills it this weekend? History suggests that you'll merely discredit their performance and exclude them from selection consideration anyway, thereby relegating your whole basis for argument back to the realm of bias and personal whim. Which is why I find it so difficult to take your posting seriously.)

So yeah, is it the "form and fitness" mantra, or pumping games into promising youngsters (and players Arjen rates) at any cost? Because obviously they won't always be one and the same thing.

Scotts is a degenerate victim gambler.

Has repeatedly chucked pineapples (Gibson,Wright,Swallow,Hansen)into the 'Big Red' game searching for the major prize and free spins but never gets it.

He finally saw the light and did a first 4 on TrackSide, came up with Durdin, Vickers-Willis, Williams to round out the best potential back 6 in decades and he throws his winning ticket in the bin.

Just play the blokes who are fit and in form irrespective of tenure and age.
I'm not following ... is this about Wright vs Williams in a preseason game?

It's quite likely as simple as wanting to get some game time into Wrighty and Lachie now they're fit. Squad's down to 24 so they can't all play. Unlike the untried kids Williams has enough exposed form at the level that we know what he can do, he's shown he can fit in well with the defensive system and would get less out of one more game of JLT than EVW or Sammy would. I don't think this is necessarily a death knell for his round 1 prospects.

Must just be for loading. Williams was in the training vid. He has been praised by the coaches.

I suspect its also about Wright getting game time this week. If Williams isnt playing round 1 other than a mysterious 2 week injury, Scott will ahve lsot the plot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back