Autopsy NMFC vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Fyfe and Mundy had 21 between them in the last quarter. We had Cunnington (7), Simpkin (6) and Macmillan (5) as the only players to crack five touches in the last.

Fyfe and Mundy had 21 between them in the last quarter. We had Cunnington (7), Simpkin (6) and Macmillan (5) as the only players to crack five touches in the last.

Just like Dangerfield and Selwood against us. We just don't have players who can do this to drag us over the line.

It doesn't start well. I'm sure this boundary throw in will get looked at:

joaIos9.png

I've circled Fyfe (black), Dumont (red), Neale (red) and Simpkin (red)

In this passage of play, Sandi taps to Fyfe who handpasses to Neale running past the contest. Neale's kick goes inside 50 to Johnson's advantage who doesn't mark but recovers and goals.

For mine:

Dumont is too far away from Fyfe and facing the wrong way. By the time he gets to Fyfe, Fyfe has had a couple of steps of unimpeded forward movement to get to where Sandi taps the ball. This momentum makes it easier for him to handball through Dumont's attempt to tackle.

Simpkin hasn't identified he has to go to Neale. He just wanders in behind the play. As a result Neale has paddock in which to work, especially after Ziebell (who in this shot is in a weird spot behind the ruckmen) runs past him to throw himself across Fyfe's boot (as a result of which Fyfe elects to handball).

Not flash. Also didn't help that Marley let what looked like a regulation intercept mark go straight through his fingers and over the back to where Johnson was.

Totally agree.

I don't know if that's the set up for Atley and Gibbo, when it unfolds they seem too far away from the stoppage to have an impact; maybe they are supposed to fill the hole?

There are Coaches in waiting on the BBB thread that might have a clue.

joaIos9.png

In this passage of play, Sandi taps to Fyfe who handpasses to Neale running past the contest. Neale's kick goes inside 50 to Johnson's advantage who doesn't mark but recovers and goals.

For mine:

Dumont is too far away from Fyfe and facing the wrong way. By the time he gets to Fyfe, Fyfe has had a couple of steps of unimpeded forward movement to get to where Sandi taps the ball. This momentum makes it easier for him to handball through Dumont's attempt to tackle.

Simpkin hasn't identified he has to go to Neale. He just wanders in behind the play. As a result Neale has paddock in which to work, especially after Ziebell (who in this shot is in a weird spot behind the ruckmen) runs past him to throw himself across Fyfe's boot (as a result of which Fyfe elects to handball).

Not flash. Also didn't help that Marley let what looked like a regulation intercept mark go straight through his fingers and over the back to where Johnson was.

The other thing that is noticeable with this stoppage and everything that happens in the last two minutes....we fumble, miss marks, miss targets...its a Perfect Storm of shitz....

I think it needs Benny Hill music fwiw.

Im surprised my mate Todd has escaped the microscope......but I won't rattle on about it.:)

He came in for a physical battering for the whole night. Fyfe got him with an elbow, Neale kneed him in the head while he was on the deck, he rolled his ankle and went back on. He just got injured at the exact wrong moment in the game. Yeah, Sandilands beat him up and he wasn't exactly influential around the ground, but that is as much the fault of the match committee for not giving him a chopout and electing to rest Preuss for a game that would have been extremely educational for him as a young ruckman.

At the next centre bounce we get the clearance, but it gets bottled up on our flank and the ball spills to...Fyfe who clears.

Then there's a bounce, at which Dumont gets to the ball first and gets the clearance by bashing it up the line.

Then, the ball out goes of bounds and the player who gets the clearance is...Fyfe.

On each occasion Dumont puts winning the ball ahead of shutting down Fyfe. Ok, kinda sorta. The second time he is actually first to the ball but gets a cruel bounce into Fyfe's lap.

Interestingly, on both occasions when Dumont and Fyfe separate, the closest player is Ziebell, who in both cases could have chosen to get to Fyfe but doesn't.

Also interesting that Fyfe gets 3 important touches in 2 minutes and Ziebell and Cunnington don't get near it.

EDIT: at the final centre bounce, Cunners is on Fyfe rather than Dumont. Guess who gets the clearance?

And this is where the coach uses the phone and swings Swallow into the fray..........he should have swung Swallow in there. He can still do that sought of stuff, then on Tuesday turns to Dumont and say thats why I took you out and put Andy in. But Scott refuses to be flexible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He came in for a physical battering for the whole night. Fyfe got him with an elbow, Neale kneed him in the head while he was on the deck, he rolled his ankle and went back on. He just got injured at the exact wrong moment in the game. Yeah, Sandilands beat him up and he wasn't exactly influential around the ground, but that is as much the fault of the match committee for not giving him a chopout and electing to rest Preuss for a game that would have been extremely educational for him as a young ruckman.
Im aware of that but he needs to learn to dish it out FG......its been one of my greatest hates about him> physicality.

Im aware of that but he needs to learn to dish it out FG......its been one of my greatest hates about him> physicality.

Some people just don't have it Oz. He beats them in other ways and unfortunately last night he couldn't do that. I'm surprised there hasn't been more teams that have decided to go after Todd physically.

Just for shits and giggles, go have a look at the stats for Aaron Black in his first game for the Pussies!
Its mind boggling isn't it.......dont care what anyone thinks Im happy for him, he was sent to go and address his deficiencies and he did and then still didnt get a go....even when we had the 3 talls. Injuries came into the timing Im aware but BS needs to understand eventually they crack the sads.

At the next centre bounce we get the clearance, but it gets bottled up on our flank and the ball spills to...Fyfe who clears.

Then there's a bounce, at which Dumont gets to the ball first and gets the clearance by bashing it up the line.

Then, the ball out goes of bounds and the player who gets the clearance is...Fyfe.

On each occasion Dumont puts winning the ball ahead of shutting down Fyfe. Ok, kinda sorta. The second time he is actually first to the ball but gets a cruel bounce into Fyfe's lap.

Interestingly, on both occasions when Dumont and Fyfe separate, the closest player is Ziebell, who in both cases could have chosen to get to Fyfe but doesn't.

Also interesting that Fyfe gets 3 important touches in 2 minutes and Ziebell and Cunnington don't get near it.

EDIT: at the final centre bounce, Cunners is on Fyfe rather than Dumont. Guess who gets the clearance?

Dumont to Wood (the first bolded bit?).

That clearance by Dumont is alot better imo. He's in a much better position when play begins, and is able to beat Fyfe and I assume he's read and intercepted the ball and that was his plan all along... he's not really hard tagging but he is taking him on, trying to win that contest - and he does, to our benefit. Can't blame him really. He did alright except for that last few minutes and even then ...

That unlucky bounce after the throw in might be what the game came down to. If you ignore the fact we had our chances and a significant lead.

The bounce after Johnson's goal - Cunners and Fyfe start on each other and Neal lines up the space between Cunners and JZ from ... maybe back on the edge of the square while Fyfe lets Cunners win the ball and drifts to the outside, perfectly front and centre of Neal if he manages to intercept the Cunners - JZ handball.

Dunno if Cunners or JZ noticed that cos Ben's handball was almost exactly where Neal would want it to pull off the intercept and have a clearance running into goal. Didn't work but if it had they would have been in front then. (Might have given us more time to kick one goal and get back in front tho.) It was a bold attacking play and something our lack of inside pace doesn't let us do.

Pretty sure its Neal that just gets a touch on the ball at that last bounce too, just enough to get the ball to Fyfe and prevent Cunners being effective with it.

And this is where the coach uses the phone and swings Swallow into the fray..........he should have swung Swallow in there. He can still do that sought of stuff, then on Tuesday turns to Dumont and say thats why I took you out and put Andy in. But Scott refuses to be flexible.

But for one unlucky bounce (after the second throw in) Dumont wins that clearance instead of Fyfe and instead of them hitting the lead with 40 sec to go we goal with about a minute to go.

Dumont lost track of Fyfe at the set up for the first throw in and trying to get back on him really stuffed us up (I think he impeded Cunners' run while trying to get to fyfe and still ended up on the wrong side.) But that was his only real mistake at those clearances. During the others he does well against Fyfe and Fyfe only wins the centre bounce clearances cos of the excellent work Neal does putting 1%ers on Cunnington. (Who seems to be Fyfe's direct opponent at those bounces anyway.)

joaIos9.png

For mine:

IMO this is where Ziebell just has to be better.

I get it, they're 'rookie errors' made by a genuine rookie in Simpkin, and a guy who should probably know better in Dumont, but in the late stages of a tight game is where the captain should be barking orders and setting up our structures at crucial stoppages. Instead, like you point, he's also poorly positioned, and he should certainly know better.

The last quarters last night and against the Cats have been so disappointing from Ziebell.

I remember someone posting a collection of these on the main board in 2013. FYI everybody the 2017 edition thus far:
Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 5.46.13 pm.png Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 5.45.48 pm.png Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 5.45.12 pm.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back