Autopsy NMFC vs STK: Flogging

Remove this Banner Ad

Wahaay, this is the first time I've cracked more that 20 likes for a post! Can someone post the George Costanza leaving the meeting GIF, please? I might have to retire while I'm ahead.

Nah ... you should try to do it again.

So true. I had absolutely no issue with the endeavour and general play in the first half yesterday. It was just the goal kicking and the issue was all at the same end. Obviously, the roof being open and swirly wind played havoc at that end. I, also, saw remarks about Brown being dead-eye Dick in comparisson to the rest of the team. The fact is that all Brown's goals (except the last - when the game was as good as over) were from the goal square or very close range. It can't have escaped everybody's notice that the score at one end was a very respectable 13-8 while at the other end it was 5-22. That has to tell some sort of tale....

Deserves more likes.

My comment was more on the wording they had than the action.

But by my memory he charged him and laid a forearm to the back. Should at least be a fine.

He was charging to take the mark, saw Dumont and actually tried to lessen the impact, at least that's what I thought. Turner's reaction was good tho.

This game reinforced for me the folly of trying to build a premiership list using what I call the St.Kilda method: trading away good players or letting them go as a tactic under free agency to bottom out and gain early draft picks. St. Kilda let go Dal Santo, Goddard and McEvoy and became a very poor side for a number of years. As a result their crowds and membership dropped and their debt increased to unhealthy levels and what did they gain for it? They certainly gained some early draft picks but from what I saw on Friday those picks will not form the basis of a premiership list. I am pleased that our list managers are not following that tactic despite repeated calls on here to trade players such as Goldie and Cunnington.

This game reinforced for me the folly of trying to build a premiership list using what I call the St.Kilda method: trading away good players or letting them go as a tactic under free agency to bottom out and gain early draft picks. St. Kilda let go Dal Santo, Goddard and McEvoy and became a very poor side for a number of years. As a result their crowds and membership dropped and their debt increased to unhealthy levels and what did they gain for it? They certainly gained some early draft picks but from what I saw on Friday those picks will not form the basis of a premiership list. I am pleased that our list managers are not following that tactic despite repeated calls on here to trade players such as Goldie and Cunnington.
Those 3 players wouldn't have helped them much on Friday.

If we are not trading Goldie and Cunners for early draft picks how are we building a premiership list/getting access to elite young talent then? F/A's don't want to know us; high quality F/S's are choosing to go elsewhere; where is the talent coming from?

If we are not trading Goldie and Cunners for early draft picks how are we building a premiership list/getting access to elite young talent then? F/A's don't want to know us; high quality F/S's are choosing to go elsewhere; where is the talent coming from?
Hawthorn. : not happy Jan :

You need to speak some sense in the Whipping Boyz Thread

So we have an endless cycle of trading where anyone that becomes elite gets traded for draft picks and then we spend another 5 years developing players for another team?

So we have an endless cycle of trading where anyone that becomes elite gets traded for draft picks and then we spend another 5 years developing players for another team?

Even better, if we get a high pick for Cunnington, then if we're really, really lucky, we might get a player almost as good as Cunnington (probably less than a 5% chance based on draft history). The "draft picks are the magic solution" crew crack me up.

And yet they over took us in terms of members this year....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good Friday ratings drop
Metropolitain television ratings for the Good Friday game were down in 2018 compared to 2017.

An average audience of 313,000 watched the match on Channel Seven in metropolitan Melbourne in 2017, but in 2018 that figure was 206,000, according to TV Tonight.

Nationally the game attracted an averaged of 522,000 viewers in 2017 on Channel Seven and 7mate. That figure for 2018 was 330,000 but it did not include Sydney or Brisbane, as those numbers were not yet available.

Even if Sydney and Brisbane numbers from 2017 were used as a guide for 2018, the number of viewers watching around the country in metropolitan areas on Channel Seven and 7mate was still lower this year.

Fox Footy attracted an average of 176,000 viewers nationally (metropolitan and regional), while in 2018 the match attracted an average of 198,000 viewers by the same count.

Attendance was also lower in 2018 (33,966) compared to 2017 (42,814).

In 2017 the AFL said it would review the Dogs' and Kangaroos' places in the inaugural clash based on attendances, ratings and contribution made to the Good Friday Appeal.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...riday-spot-back-for-2019-20180401-p4z7b5.html

The reason they overtook us this year is because they lost so many members when they bottomed out. Before that (and before we played in Hobart) they had many more members than we had. In 2010 St Kilda had 39,021 members and North Melbourne had 26,953.

We have picked up some quality FAs, and I'm sorry but which quality F/S chances have we missed out on?

Good Friday ratings drop
Metropolitain television ratings for the Good Friday game were down in 2018 compared to 2017.

An average audience of 313,000 watched the match on Channel Seven in metropolitan Melbourne in 2017, but in 2018 that figure was 206,000, according to TV Tonight.

Nationally the game attracted an averaged of 522,000 viewers in 2017 on Channel Seven and 7mate. That figure for 2018 was 330,000 but it did not include Sydney or Brisbane, as those numbers were not yet available.

Even if Sydney and Brisbane numbers from 2017 were used as a guide for 2018, the number of viewers watching around the country in metropolitan areas on Channel Seven and 7mate was still lower this year.

Fox Footy attracted an average of 176,000 viewers nationally (metropolitan and regional), while in 2018 the match attracted an average of 198,000 viewers by the same count.

Attendance was also lower in 2018 (33,966) compared to 2017 (42,814).

In 2017 the AFL said it would review the Dogs' and Kangaroos' places in the inaugural clash based on attendances, ratings and contribution made to the Good Friday Appeal.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...riday-spot-back-for-2019-20180401-p4z7b5.html

Need to stick fat.

It needs to be the two same teams every year.

Spot on. That approach has got them nowhere. Eg. McCartin, number 1 pick but probably will never be as good as Ben Brown who was drafted at number 47, 1 year before McCartin. Free agency is a much more reliable way to get elite talent but you have to be playing well to get quality free agents. That's why Dal Santo and Waite chose us.

Even better, if we get a high pick for Cunnington, then if we're really, really lucky, we might get a player almost as good as Cunnington (probably less than a 5% chance based on draft history). The "draft picks are the magic solution" crew crack me up.
Exactly, trading away your best players is madness in my opinion. However that opinion isn't shared by most of the media who ridiculed us for 'topping up' with Waite and DalSanto, even though we didn't even give up a draft pick for Waite. The same media types lauded St Kilda for their more 'long term' approach that (according to them) gave them a much better chance of a premiership. Trouble is, WTF do the Saints do now? In my opinion we're significantly closer to another flag than they are (not that we're close). Their list is worse than ours but they've have to endure 4-5 years or poor results. After 4-5 years or rebuilding, do they abandon this rebuild and start a new one?

Their members thought that they would be playing finals this year and our members mainly predict us to finish bottom 4. That's why our membership has dropped. We have a lot of fairweather supporters. I'm working on the ones in my family......

I doubt anyone would offer high draft picks for Goldie as ruckmen have very little currency with the way the game is played these days. Geelong don't even play one a lot of the time.
Regarding where to get elite talent I would suggest the draft (eg Simpkin, LDU and Brown) NGA picks (Tarryn Thomas likely to get picked up this draft) and free agents (I suspect we will get Kelly end 2019, could try for Dahlhaus this year). We have 3 potential FS picks in the 2018 draft. I'm not super hopeful about them choosing us but I'm not convinced any of them are all that great anyway. Scott would be the best one to get in my opinion, although I understand that Blakey is rated higher.

Somethings tells me that we'll get far more for Goldstein at the end of this year than last. As for Cunnington, he's still young enough to be part of our next crack at the flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back