Autopsy NMFC vs STK: Flogging

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is typical. I watched the replay of yesterday's game and not one of the commentators even noticed LDU's sublime pinpoint pass in the 3rd quarter as they all too busy talking irrelevant s**t.
C7 commentators prefer the sound of their own voices rather than what happens on field.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

So we have an endless cycle of trading where anyone that becomes elite gets traded for draft picks and then we spend another 5 years developing players for another team?
Hitherto to be referred to as the "Jon Ralph Method" #JonRalphMethod, #IBuggeredThatUp.

Question re Good Friday fixture:

Do you think we’ll get the game taken off us given the crowd number on Friday? It was way less than I expected and quite frankly I as a north supporter was disappointed in that aspect.

All the whinging about the first half being the worst... Pfffft. Seen far worse than that I can assure you folks. Sure, set shots had a lot to be desired but I was more encouraged by the endeavour and immediate pressure applied. Third Q was more about persistence carrying over from the first half and the last Q was more about the floodgates opening to reward the believers like myself. StK will regroup and learn from that loss. I think they'll have the home truths chat and come out with better intent in the next month.

North can't afford to rest in their laurels as the standard for adapting to the speed of the game needs better ball handling and composure for goals. Could of been a better margin but time will tell if 'killer instinct' will grow from North's last Q hustling which needs to be a standard.

Those 3 players wouldn't have helped them much on Friday.

If we are not trading Goldie and Cunners for early draft picks how are we building a premiership list/getting access to elite young talent then? F/A's don't want to know us; high quality F/S's are choosing to go elsewhere; where is the talent coming from?

So tell me where Martin and Kelly end up playing for?

i hear some people enjoy getting flogged.

Yes, and they have their own club board, where Zondor and co do the moderating.

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got into range after an epic long weekend camping

Very much looking forward to reading this thread

If we are not trading Goldie and Cunners for early draft picks how are we building a premiership list/getting access to elite young talent then? F/A's don't want to know us; high quality F/S's are choosing to go elsewhere; where is the talent coming from?

Yeah, trade away players picked with early draft picks for more early draft picks ... just the ticket for the never-ending rebuild

You’re argument is full of holes.

You’re arguing that we must trade out Goldie/Cunners for a chance at a premiership. I don’t see historical evidence from any other team in the competition that this method has worked.
Even with the ridiculously high multiple picks the new franchises were given, I am yet to see them win a GF! Wait! Even play a GF!

Teams such as StKilda, Melb and Carltank that routinely go down this path have netted what? A constant rebuild mode and a somewhat plastic culture of under achieving selling false hope to thier supporter base?

I grant you only one team has done this successfully. That is, Hawthorn. They gutted thier list in the early 00’s and traded out well, as a result of some lowly finishes they were able to rort the compensation pick system and garner additional top 3 compensation picks over multiple years (Hodge and Roughead).
The priority pick system has changed significantly to not allow this sort of rort.
One could also argue that St Kilda also benefitted immensely with the priority pick system (Riewoldt and Ball) however they fell short. Interestingly enough it isn’t really working for them now after they gutted thier list post 2010.

In the modern era, the last 10 years no club has done this successfully.

You’re also not acknowledging that some of these players are irreplaceable in the sense of culture and the development/mentoring of those around them. ie Dish and Waite in BBB.

IMO trading out Cunners at the end of this year would be absolute folly. It would expose our young and developing midfield. Similar to what delisting Scooter last year would of done to our defence this year.

You state that no F/A’s want to come to our club? What of Higgins and Waite. Dusty and Kelly shunned F/A and chose to remain at thier clubs. They shunned all clubs. I am confident over the next 2 years we will land a big name or 2...
Besides, not one club is 100% successful at FA.

As to your father/sons comment. I don’t recall missing on any as of yet. I also think it’s extremely premature to make this statement ahead of what may or may not happen this year. Crocker is a lock, Scott will come and perhaps Bailey is 50/50. However this doesn’t really have much to do with them not wanting to come, more so about the rort that is the northern academies.

However, saying the above i do agree that we need top end talent to push for our next premiership. I feel we were an A grader or 2 away from premierships in 2014/15.
Though, I do believe we have these future stars already on our list in LDU and Simpkin. Add this to another top 6 draft pick and TT this year and I feel our list will have much promise.
Throw in some very high ceiling later picks that are developing nicely like Walker and Larkey, with the unknowns of Flash, Kyron and Murphy. To go with some KPP talent that need further development (BMac, Durdin and Nielson), I can see the makings of a premiership winning list in 3-4 years time.

Of course injuries and player development is critical to ultimate success. Since we went on this rebuild path, over the last 18 months in isolation I am happy with what I am seeing from our coaching staff and development of our kids. Sure they don’t always get it right (enter Joyce and Scott haters) but they have also got it right numerous time on picks and development (EVW, BBB, MWills etc etc). I don’t think there is a club out there that develops a 100% of thier kids into serviceable AFL players.

Of course success is also dependent on a solid game plan and the total buy in from the whole team. At this stage I don’t think we are there yet but I am seeing the signs.

I may be a glass half full type of bloke but tbh I just can’t see the negativity surrounding our list from the media and some BF posters. Throwing the baby out with the bath water is not the way to go about building a stable healthy club with 100% buy-in from the entire team.

Our list isn’t quite there yet, but it’s not as far away as you think!!

I heard Dal saying earlier that St Kilda believe they have around 7-9 'potential' A-graders?

You’re argument is full of holes.

You’re arguing that we must trade out Goldie/Cunners for a chance at a premiership. I don’t see historical evidence from any other team in the competition that this method has worked.
Even with the ridiculously high multiple picks the new franchises were given, I am yet to see them win a GF! Wait! Even play a GF!

Teams such as StKilda, Melb and Carltank that routinely go down this path have netted what? A constant rebuild mode and a somewhat plastic culture of under achieving selling false hope to thier supporter base?

I grant you only one team has done this successfully. That is, Hawthorn. They gutted thier list in the early 00’s and traded out well, as a result of some lowly finishes they were able to rort the compensation pick system and garner additional top 3 compensation picks over multiple years (Hodge and Roughead).
The priority pick system has changed significantly to not allow this sort of rort.
One could also argue that St Kilda also benefitted immensely with the priority pick system (Riewoldt and Ball) however they fell short. Interestingly enough it isn’t really working for them now after they gutted thier list post 2010.

In the modern era, the last 10 years no club has done this successfully.

You’re also not acknowledging that some of these players are irreplaceable in the sense of culture and the development/mentoring of those around them. ie Dish and Waite in BBB.

IMO trading out Cunners at the end of this year would be absolute folly. It would expose our young and developing midfield. Similar to what delisting Scooter last year would of done to our defence this year.

You state that no F/A’s want to come to our club? What of Higgins and Waite. Dusty and Kelly shunned F/A and chose to remain at thier clubs. They shunned all clubs. I am confident over the next 2 years we will land a big name or 2...
Besides, not one club is 100% successful at FA.

As to your father/sons comment. I don’t recall missing on any as of yet. I also think it’s extremely premature to make this statement ahead of what may or may not happen this year. Crocker is a lock, Scott will come and perhaps Bailey is 50/50. However this doesn’t really have much to do with them not wanting to come, more so about the rort that is the northern academies.

However, saying the above i do agree that we need top end talent to push for our next premiership. I feel we were an A grader or 2 away from premierships in 2014/15.
Though, I do believe we have these future stars already on our list in LDU and Simpkin. Add this to another top 6 draft pick and TT this year and I feel our list will have much promise.
Throw in some very high ceiling later picks that are developing nicely like Walker and Larkey, with the unknowns of Flash, Kyron and Murphy. To go with some KPP talent that need further development (BMac, Durdin and Nielson), I can see the makings of a premiership winning list in 3-4 years time.

Of course injuries and player development is critical to ultimate success. Since we went on this rebuild path, over the last 18 months in isolation I am happy with what I am seeing from our coaching staff and development of our kids. Sure they don’t always get it right (enter Joyce and Scott haters) but they have also got it right numerous time on picks and development (EVW, BBB, MWills etc etc). I don’t think there is a club out there that develops a 100% of thier kids into serviceable AFL players.

Of course success is also dependent on a solid game plan and the total buy in from the whole team. At this stage I don’t think we are there yet but I am seeing the signs.

I may be a glass half full type of bloke but tbh I just can’t see the negativity surrounding our list from the media and some BF posters. Throwing the baby out with the bath water is not the way to go about building a stable healthy club with 100% buy-in from the entire team.

Our list isn’t quite there yet, but it’s not as far away as you think!!

Mods can this be stickied please? So much truth in what you're saying.

We had a very good crack with a list that wasn't quite up to it - regardless, I reckon our 2015 team would have taken it right up to the Dogs or Tigers.

We wasted no time in acting when we realised that we didn't have the cattle (or the depth), and whilst some things weren't ideally handled, we did what needed to be done without gutting or comprimising our enviable culture. Sometimes people underestimate the importance of culture - we have a pretty good one, actually.

Having a crack at Dusty and Kelly was ballsy, and definitely preferable to continual '5 year plan' rebuilds that sell bottom four finishes and subsequent high picks as hope, when really these amount to exercises in turd polishing (see Demons, Blues, Saints).

We look to have some high class young players in Simpkin, LDU and EVW, plus plenty of serviceable role-players, in addition to guns like Brown, Tarrant, Cunnington and Higgins.

A couple more class mids and the continued development of our future spine (Larkey, McKay, Preuss, Nielson), plus players like Anderson, Clarke, Mountford and Walker becoming dependable week in week out and we are right back in contention. s**t, we could play finals this year. I haven't seen a team that looks unbeatable yet.

They probably do. Currently they have about 2-3.

I can name 7-9 of potential A-graders on our list.

Taking that next step can be a bitch and Saints are finding that out.
Yeh you can say that realistically about any side, so that is true. Its just the reliance on it that can be the issue. You have to assume you have none. Not sure where they sit on the realism factor as it stands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back