Tim the Toolman

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Beaconsfield Super Rules
Brisbane Lions will be retiring Caracella's No. 1 guernsey for 12 months as a mark of respect to the great man who wore it with aplomb for his 2 seasons at the club.

Tim the Toolman said:
Brisbane Lions will be retiring Caracella's No. 1 guernsey for 12 months as a mark of respect to the great man who wore it with aplomb for his 2 seasons at the club.
This sounds a little bit crap to me, do you have a link to the news report :confused:

As if that would be serious.

No I heard this morning that they're retiring Lynchy's No. 11 for a season like they are doing with Choppers'. I think that's appropriate and good on the club for two magnificent stalwarts.

“…-nobody will be filling his No.11 jumper.

The Lions will honour Lynch’s career by retiring his number for the next 12 months.

It is only the second time the club has shown the mark of respect to a player, with Marcus Ashcroft’s No.10 left untouched during the season just ended.

The Brisbane Lions board rubber-stamped the move during the week and will consider the honour for any player who has made more than 300 appearances or captained the club for a substantial period of time.

…The three-time premiership winner played 306 games 633 goals after making his VFL debut with Fitzroy in 1988.

The Tasmanian-born Lynch was also Brisbane co-captain from 1997 to 2000 after heading north in 1994 to join the Bears…” Sunday Mail

Tim the Toolman said:

:D Don't worry, I understand your humour. I'm suprised people actually believed your post. :eek: :rolleyes:

Tim the Toolman said:
As if that would be serious.

No I heard this morning that they're retiring Lynchy's No. 11 for a season like they are doing with Choppers'. I think that's appropriate and good on the club for two magnificent stalwarts.

Agree, but I think that shaun hart should also be recongised. It's only for a season and a nice way to honour the player. you could pretty much do it for any player that has played over say 200 games?

I actually don't mind the handing of a veteran's number on to a promising youngster, a la what the Saints did with the Stewie Loewe to Koscitzche with the number 23...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with Vidman - Hart deserves it too. Have a look at his career. If he had played 300 games I think there would be no doubt that that honour would be bestowed.

Hart wanted Ryswyk to have his guernsey number, so I think it's a bit different in that case.

And Tim, you seem to have got your wish :D . #1 will remain vacant next year.

MSB ROYS said:
One more thing about Caracella.

Essendon, Brisbane and then most likely Collingwood. Strange mix of teams!

I can see the trivia question in 10 years time - "At which of Blake Caracella's did he not win a flag?"

Fatty

FattyLumpkin said:
I can see the trivia question in 10 years time - "At which of Blake Caracella's did he not win a flag?"

Fatty

Collingwood? What's my prize !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back