- May 13, 2012
- AFL Club
- Other Teams
- Brumbies, Socceroos
This is the biggest load of horse crap which always gets trotted out on this discussion.
1. They don't have a say on where they go in the draft. If they did, then every Northern club would be in big trouble because of Mommy and Daddy. They go where they get drafted.
2. several years ago, no kid wanted to stay in BRISBANE. The 3rd largest city in Australia. Suddenly, they do. Club culture has far more to do with player retention than location. Talk to Adelaide about that.
And if that isn't true, then GWS and GCS will always be feeder clubs to other clubs and you might as well go home. You never going to win anything if the last several years is anything to go by.
3. We might not be a destination city for free agents. Who cares. How many free agents(A-grade players) have gone to a place not of their home state. And even if they are in that state, doesn't mean they stand a chance. North has had several shots at star players with money. Should close them down as well i guess.
We would have a very good shot at any Tassie grown talent working overseas(ala Matthew Wade in that cricket team/s which doesn't have any players according to BF, or doesn't exist at all according to another idiot on this forum).
4. Check our housing prices. Tassie is so vogue atm.
5. The biggest reason Sydney and Brisbane have gotten players to move to them(outside of money) is anonymity. A Tassie side could be a goldfish bowl of pressure, a mini Adelaide. Or It could be relaxing for a country boy to live in an actual rural location to raise a family. Who bloody knows. Being a destination club have done F-all to several Victorian clubs.
6. We live in a small world. Its an hour flight.
I was surprised to read only today, that one of the SA kids the Suns drafted was wanting to go to the Suns all along because he's a keen surfer and loves the Gold Coast. He can't be the only 18 year old out there who would love to live on the Gold Coast, in fact, SEN interviewed an 18 year old kid who was hoping to get drafted, but missed out, where was he? Holidaying on the Gold Coast.
It remains my firm opinion that you are much more likely to be able to attract 18 year olds to the Gold Coast than you are to Hobart.
This is precisely why the AFL's long term plan for Tassie is to have a club like North play games in Tassie, but have them located in Melbourne, because you're not going to get a list of 35+ footballers moving to Hobart.
Nothing against Hobart, I've visited many, many times and love it, but it's not about you and I.