No AFL team for Tasmania, league boss Gillon McLachlan announces

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully that will now be turned to the benefit of this place for a change instead of the dead loss & one way traffic its been to us for many decades.

There’s probably a logical pathway towards this by starting with AFLW / VFL franchises sooner rather than later, and then ending up eventually with an AFL team.

There’s probably a logical pathway towards this by starting with AFLW / VFL franchises sooner rather than later, and then ending up eventually with an AFL team.

All due respect, I just don't see how an AFLW part time, mainly North Melbourne team has any relevance.

The VFL line was run once before. Sorry, not again please.

I dont see any relevance between any other form/league of the game, VFL included & the needs & operation of a professional AFL club.

Its plain to see & history shows, If the AFL want a team, they make one. If they want unsuccessful teams to survive, they back them.

It really is as simple as that.

All due respect, I just don't see how an AFLW part time, mainly North Melbourne team has any relevance.

I meant fielding a whole new “Tassie Devils” AFLW team

An AFL presence begins with a club. A club is more than just an AFL team. It’s a membership of supporters and a vessel for a bunch of teams (for example the club we all know as “Collingwood” actually fields 7 teams - AFL, VFL, AFLW, VFLW, SNL, ANL, VWFL). Sure, probably 80% of attendances are to watch the AFL team, but well - rightly or wrongly we live in an era of inclusiveness. The clubs may also include acadamies as they do in the northern states to promote development in the game.

Tassie getting a new club will be a holistic thing that will go way above and beyond being allocated positions in the draft and in the fixture.

The VFL line was run once before. Sorry, not again please.

GWS started that way for their first few seasons.

All Victorian clubs have a seconds team (I think all AFL teams now do?). Again, if Tassie reckon they’re above having a seconds team then they’re hardly going to endear themselves to the competition.

I dont see any relevance between any other form/league of the game, VFL included & the needs & operation of a professional AFL club.

Its plain to see & history shows, If the AFL want a team, they make one. If they want unsuccessful teams to survive, they back them.

Take GWS as an example. They have AFLW and NEAFL teams (+ a couple others that are non-AFL related). They run an AFL academy. They’re heavily involved in the community to promote AFL in all its forms. They’re building a community around their club. They have around 25,000 members (more than the local A-League clubs and all but one of the local NRL clubs), they have a great stadium to watch games at, and they get roughly the same crowds as Tassie currently do (a little more than Hobart, a little less than Launceston)

I meant fielding a whole new “Tassie Devils” AFLW team

An AFL presence begins with a club. A club is more than just an AFL team. It’s a membership of supporters and a vessel for a bunch of teams (for example the club we all know as “Collingwood” actually fields 7 teams - AFL, VFL, AFLW, VFLW, SNL, ANL, VWFL). Sure, probably 80% of attendances are to watch the AFL team, but well - rightly or wrongly we live in an era of inclusiveness. The clubs may also include acadamies as they do in the northern states to promote development in the game.

Tassie getting a new club will be a holistic thing that will go way above and beyond being allocated positions in the draft and in the fixture.

GWS started that way for their first few seasons.

All Victorian clubs have a seconds team (I think all AFL teams now do?). Again, if Tassie reckon they’re above having a seconds team then they’re hardly going to endear themselves to the competition.

Take GWS as an example. They have AFLW and NEAFL teams (+ a couple others that are non-AFL related). They run an AFL academy. They’re heavily involved in the community to promote AFL in all its forms. They’re building a community around their club. They have around 25,000 members (more than the local A-League clubs and all but one of the local NRL clubs), they have a great stadium to watch games at, and they get roughly the same crowds as Tassie currently do (a little more than Hobart, a little less than Launceston)

GWS were given an AFL License first. The VFL was THEN used to develop all their draft picks to get them up to AFL standards. That is not the same as Tassie having its 2nd VFL club & no pathway. 'Next team off the rank' or whatever Demitriou & Gillon have muttered is just a nothing statement. Its all motherhood statements & no pie. Useless, meaningless.

Holistic? Lets start with a bloody AFL licence first. THEN we'll worry about all the other stuff. ALL the other clubs brought in to make the AFL were aimed at being senior professional mens teams FIRST. The other stuff comes once you get a license & players.

Again with a seconds team, Get an AFL license first. You keep putting the cart before the horse. Get the license to have a senior AFL professional team, then build the rest under it.

Remember we've already had an unaligned VFL team. And where did that get us? It stuffed local football & got us no closer to anything else worthwhile. People here were very supportive of the Devils VFL team until it was shredded by joining North Melbourne. People walked away, & from local footy as well.

Rightly or wrongly, the AFL sees itself in competition with the other codes - it’s competing for the most fans and for the best athletes and for the best stadiums and for the best training facilities. All that requires the most $$$

Of course some fans prefer a pure community game - and that’s what the WAFL / VFL / SANFL / NEAFL are for.

When you look at the state of NRL and Soccer you can see that the AFL are actually doing well.

Pop Quiz: Who do you reckon have the most members between Sydney FC, Western Sydney Wanderers, Penrith Panthers, Manly Sea Eagles, St George Illawarra or GWS Giants?

Yep, GWS Giants.

Gold Coast has the same permanent population as the whole state of Tasmania. And like Tasmania, many of the AFL loving folks in GC already have a connection to an existing team. And it’s a tough ask to get them to change allegences. (You live in WA, why don’t you follow WC or Freo??? Don’t worry, I get it, I’m a Collingwood supporter who lives in Sydney)

Mistakes have been clearly made in the past, you can’t blame the AFL for wanting to learn from them.

I'm a Victorian and a hated species over here.
But spent 40 years in Melbourne.
Hawthorn? I can't remember when I didn't follow them I was a toddler and I'm a fair age now.
I never really became a sandgroper, still not one.
I get back home now and then a bit more if I can lately, got a WA wife, but she too hates the Eagles and the Dockers, Victorians know that their club is their club forever.
And they become members and never change teams, that is impossible where I grew up. You would understand that, from Carringbush!
So I think Tassie deserves a team much more than High Rise City GC but I am a traditionalist and Tassie is a footy state, GC17 and GWS have diluted the competition, and yes I too cannot handle WCE or the Dockers , my sons, three I have, two born here in WA but are also lifelong Hawks and members, and they two , especially the two sandgroper boys, strangely, hate both WA teams, in a footy sense of course.
My eldest boy and my daughter both Vics are the same, Hawthorn is the tribe, you know what I mean.
The only comparison to Vic football insanity, was the WAFL over here when it was not bled by the two new clubs , but they all fit now. Eagles are a power team and the Dockers I really have no idea about what they'll do this season.
By the way there are a big contingent of Hawthorn supporters and members in this state. But your mob would out number them .

PS I hope the AFL start learning a few things soon too, no worries mate.

I'm a Victorian and a hated species over here.
But spent 40 years in Melbourne.
Hawthorn? I can't remember when I didn't follow them I was a toddler and I'm a fair age now.
I never really became a sandgroper, still not one.
I get back home now and then a bit more if I can lately, got a WA wife, but she too hates the Eagles and the Dockers, Victorians know that their club is their club forever.
And they become members and never change teams, that is impossible where I grew up. You would understand that, from Carringbush!
So I think Tassie deserves a team much more than High Rise City GC but I am a traditionalist and Tassie is a footy state, GC17 and GWS have diluted the competition, and yes I too cannot handle WCE or the Dockers , my sons, three I have, two born here in WA but are also lifelong Hawks and members, and they two , especially the two sandgroper boys, strangely, hate both WA teams, in a footy sense of course.
My eldest boy and my daughter both Vics are the same, Hawthorn is the tribe, you know what I mean.
The only comparison to Vic football insanity, was the WAFL over here when it was not bled by the two new clubs , but they all fit now. Eagles are a power team and the Dockers I really have no idea about what they'll do this season.
By the way there are a big contingent of Hawthorn supporters and members in this state. But your mob would out number them .

PS I hope the AFL start learning a few things soon too, no worries mate.

The AFL won't/doesnt need to learn. They are 'Corporate' top dogs. They have a product (given to them by 150 years of community Sweat, cheers & tears), & THEY package it for the consumers of their product.

Gill & the 'upper echelon' on 'Corporate' compensation packages know everything they need to know. As if they take any notice of the consumers. We're all just a source of revenue to them.

They have long since stopped seeing it for what it was. Its now an entertainment product for the punters. And a provides them with what Corporate movers require.

The AFL won't/doesnt need to learn. They are 'Corporate' top dogs. They have a product (given to them by 150 years of community Sweat, cheers & tears), & THEY package it for the consumers of their product.

Gill & the 'upper echelon' on 'Corporate' compensation packages know everything they need to know. As if they take any notice of the consumers. We're all just a source of revenue to them.

They have long since stopped seeing it for what it was. Its now an entertainment product for the punters. And a provides them with what Corporate movers require.
Well put and as true as ever. It'd be nice if a corporate who doesn't give a damn about anything but good aussie football, like big Kerry felt about Aussie cricket, where is James P he could get over his downer, and turn to the best sport on earth and buy a 14 to 16 club competition, I'D LIKE TO SEE THAT!

Well put and as true as ever. It'd be nice if a corporate who doesn't give a damn about anything but good aussie football, like big Kerry felt about Aussie cricket, where is James P he could get over his downer, and turn to the best sport on earth and buy a 14 to 16 club competition, I'D LIKE TO SEE THAT!

I get it. This is parody?

GWS were given an AFL License first. The VFL was THEN used to develop all their draft picks to get them up to AFL standards.

The difference is that it was the AFL who wanted to put a team into western Sydney. In Tassie, it’s Tassie who want the team.

That is not the same as Tassie having its 2nd VFL club & no pathway.

I agree, the VFL would be part of a pathway.

I also reckon if Tassie were truly serious about AFL, they would have applied for an AFLW team. It doesn’t interfere with development of the men’s game at all. The barrier to entry is very low.

Of course a lot of folks don’t give a toss about AFLW, but there are plenty who do. They’re getting good crowds. There’s a lot of feelgood around getting women into the game. Why wouldn’t an aspirational AFL market want to get behind that?

Holistic? Lets start with a bloody AFL licence first. THEN we'll worry about all the other stuff.

Do you think Tassie are serious or not?

ALL the other clubs brought in to make the AFL were aimed at being senior professional mens teams FIRST. The other stuff comes once you get a license & players.

Not all. Collingwood started out as a VFA club. Port started as a SANFL club.

Again with a seconds team, Get an AFL license first. You keep putting the cart before the horse.

If a club can’t run VFL / AFLW teams, what chance do they have of running an AFL team?

Again, I reckon VFL should be part of a pathway ... but we also don’t want to end up with a club that’s a pariah of the competition because it’s unviable or needs to be propped up by other clubs (it wasn’t so long ago that Port Adelaide were considered that)

Remember we've already had an unaligned VFL team. And where did that get us? It stuffed local football & got us no closer to anything else worthwhile. People here were very supportive of the Devils VFL team until it was shredded by joining North Melbourne. People walked away, & from local footy as well.

Sure, mistakes have been made ... but that’s not an excuse to run headlong into new mistakes.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also reckon if Tassie were truly serious about AFL, they would have applied for an AFLW team. It doesn’t interfere with development of the men’s game at all. The barrier to entry is very low.

We did. But we were basically told that it wasn't going to happen and to hitch a ride on North Melbourne. The North Melbourne Tasmania Kangaroos AFLW team.

We even had a sponsor lined up to go alone.

We did. But we were basically told that it wasn't going to happen and to hitch a ride on North Melbourne. The North Melbourne Tasmania Kangaroos AFLW team.

We even had a sponsor lined up to go alone.

In all fairness, there were very few women's footy players in Tasmania a few years ago. A Tassie standalone team would have got smashed.

In all fairness, there were very few women's footy players in Tasmania a few years ago. A Tassie standalone team would have got smashed.

The womens game here is growing apace of recent seasons, from a very low base. A stand alone Tasmanian AFL team would be much more competitive than a similarly structured AFLW team would be at the moment.

Anyway, this is about an AFL team for Tasmania, or not, & The why & how of it.

The womens game here is growing apace of recent seasons, from a very low base. A stand alone Tasmanian AFL team would be much more competitive than a similarly structured AFLW team would be at the moment.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that was any indicator of how a mens AFL team would fare. A big chunk of an AFLW team has to come from local sources, which is different to how an AFL team is put together.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that was any indicator of how a mens AFL team would fare. A big chunk of an AFLW team has to come from local sources, which is different to how an AFL team is put together.

Yes I understood, I guess I was comparing the relative strength of the mens & womens game from the point of view of Tasmania. The mens game is much more developed, we have near 30 players in the AFL system & 2 coaches. Where as the ladies only have a handful of players at the AFLW level.

That was what I was on about. I fully agree with your point. Quite correct.

The more this Mclachlan fellow opens his mouth the more I think, who the hell does this clown think he is.

A club out of Tasmania is a no brainer, but Gil I think has no brain , except the one that panders to what ever money making assured thing is around no matter what it does or does not do for football, the boy will grab it. Like Gold Coast and the money spent there, and GWS
Gold Coast should go to Tasmania, it won't, but it should have.

Wouldn't you ask yourself why spend millions on GC17 when you have a football state that could easily be helped to establish and grow a big fan base not to mention the easy travel by aeroplane to Tassie every week for fans and supporters from Melbourne , THEY WOULD GO for sure! many more than those who bother to fly to the gold coast . or maybe once a year for a holiday.

So I have to ask why always NO Tasmania from Gil . If he thinks Gold Coast is some long term coming success story, then he is following a business pattern for the Gold Coast, because I bet the AFL brokers are only ever looking at where they can make a killing, money wise, GC17 might come back and bite them on the wallet if it hasn't already. For what??????????????? TV rights.
But who knows with the AFL, talk about the peoples game , and there you have the CIA styled AFL, MAKING A FORTUNE , TAKING THE GAME FROM THE PUNTER, AND NEVER THINKING IN TERMS OF TRADITION OR ANYTHING CLOSE TO "LETS DO IT FOR THE AUSSIE RULES FANS" , WHO THEY MAKE A LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY OUT OF!
I saw a dead set mark last night watched by an umpire, called as no mark, that is one of the millions of horrendous little things that have been happening in our game for quite a few years now, that spectacle must stay in the game, that kind of call is another way in which, I anyway , see how the manipulation of the game is being transferred into the minds of umpires, through new training, to see things each and every one of them differently, you know the rest if you read my posts I have been raving for years about rules and terrible judgement and over adjudication under this CEO Mclachlan!

That non paid Collwd mark could have scored a goal, also Dangerfield dives desperately for the ball and gets pinged for "I AM NOT SURE " BUT HE WAS BAFFLED TOO, HE USUALLY GETS THE UMPS ON HIS SIDE, TERRIBLE DECISION , HOW ARE THESE UMPIRES TRAINED?????

Oh and by the way Main gets a free when a Geelong bloke accidently gets the ball out on the full from about 30 cm out??? Why is that regarded as a free, out on the full was never meant for that, why on earth and who on earth was the clown sitting in the AFL office saying everything of below the knee is a free if it goes out on the full???????? It was meant for blokes who deliberately defend by kicking the ball out of bounds , not for incidental in play accidents, but that the AFL now, it can't be just me.

Well umps are trained under the Demetriou/Mclachlan regime of fiddling to the detriment of the sport, and this bloke is blatantly saying to millions of fans you can get stuffed no team in Tassie.

Yet they spent a mint on 2 extra teams really not needed, but no Tassie, then they say we'll look at the game , with zoning open it up, hah, what happened well the ground was still half empty when someone was in attack, last night and the greyed up bulldust rules still had people tearing their hair out.

Don't you think its time the clubs and the supporters and members got the game back from this wrecker, who seems to be the god of football, to me he has screwed the game totally, and too many goals come from frees, some that just aren't there!!!!
Then his night Grand Final stance, and his mass changes can ruin the evening or afternoon of watching sport, the players are still fantastic the game still has its magnificence, but if Mclachlan is left in charge we'll be playing AFLX on a basket ball court in 10 years.

GET A TEAM IN TASSIE, You have the money Mclachlan!!!!! Then leave the building will you please!
What a rambling incoherent rant. I barely got half way through and I already have a headache trying to make sense of this drivel.o_O

What a rambling incoherent rant. I barely got half way through and I already have a headache trying to make sense of this drivel.o_O

Thanks Demonoid you poor unfortunate critter, too hard for you to inject into your brain, was it?
So forget me .
Give all an opinion on what you really think that you think I said? ,
And next time you read something READ it twice, so you can see whats being said, actually I do sometimes go too fast on the keyboard and forget punctuation or what ever.
I generally get put right by others who can do better than abuse me. But maybe your just having some fun
Now go to it, questions will be asked!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back