No AFL team for Tasmania, league boss Gillon McLachlan announces

Remove this Banner Ad

Slats

All Australian
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Tasmania will not field its own AFL team in the near future, but has been granted a provisional VFL licence for 2021.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan is in Hobart to release the findings of a three-month review into Tasmanian football, prompted by concerns about the future of the state league and diminishing talent pathways.

He confirmed the TSL will remain the premier competition in the state, and announced a return to the under-18 TAC Cup in 2019 and the VFL in 2021 to create new pathways for talented players.

He said all state teams would play under the same "Team Tasmania" banner, with a name to be decided by the public.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-03/afl-boss-announces-tasmanian-future/9934104

Now I hope that this doesn't spur any of my fellow Tasmanians decide to set fire to AFL headquarters at 140 Harbour Esplanade. That would be awful, and just the wrong thing to do.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Now I hope that this doesn't spur any of my fellow Tasmanians decide to set fire to AFL headquarters at 140 Harbour Esplanade. That would be awful, and just the wrong thing to do.
Biggest insult to the Taswegians since Biggles sent in the RAAF. You didn't secede then so I doubt it will happen now.

Not sure what Tassie has to do, must be very tempting to give two fingers to the AFL and kick them out. Presumably that would hurt financially.

Biggest insult to the Taswegians since Biggles sent in the RAAF. You didn't secede then so I doubt it will happen now.

Not sure what Tassie has to do, must be very tempting to give two fingers to the AFL and kick them out. Presumably that would hurt financially.

Have a stable local league would be a good start, they had 2 teams fold just last season.

Have a stable local league would be a good start, they had 2 teams fold just last season.

Because it's s**t and no one cares. Longford vs Bracknell is more of a calendar event that any TSL matchup.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Not sure how serious that is. I can see a local club might actually prefer not to take on the stress of a statewide comp, and would prefer a local comp which is what happened as I understand it.
Teams have pulled out if the NEAFL because apart from the AFL slides and NT Thunder they're basically suburban clubs who who want to represent their local community. Travelling interstate requires a whole new level of professionalism for grass roots clubs.

Because it's s**t and no one cares. Longford vs Bracknell is more of a calendar event that any TSL matchup.
So i'm guessing the AFL have put the proviso in place that they need to show they can run a local league properly before they get given the keys to running a national level team.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

Tassie govt might be more inclined to plough their money into the VFL club, develop facilities, players etc.

It's a shame but I guess until they can show a sharper increase in population the AFL arent going to be interested in long term major investment a franchise requires.

If the wiki graph is correct they've only gained 90k people in the last 30 years. Victoria does that every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
It's a shame but I guess until they can show a sharper increase in population the AFL arent going to be interested in long term major investment a franchise requires.

If the wiki graph is correct they've only gained 90k people in the last 30 years. Victoria does that every year.

This is the reality. The population really caps their profitability and growth potential.

Cincinnatus

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
No see this is the problem. The TSL has been strong in the past and there has been no team. The AFL has abandoned Tasmania and they have some responsibility in the demise of Tassie footy.

The AFL continues to treat Tasmania as if it is a safe AFL state when its anything but. Association football numbers are well above those of aussie rules at rhe junior level. Diminshed talent pool will continue to dilute the talent...fewer players making the grade at AFL level. Few players in rhe TSL to make it worth going to.

I think the A-League erred big time by dismissing the Tassie bid, that could have solidified their dominance and given a further blow to Aussie rules in Tassie.

You cant expect all of Tassie to rock up for Hawks and Kangas games as if thats your attendance for a team that actually represents the state.

Did Gold Coast have to prove their loyalty?

Its a bit of a joke really and just another backflip from gil.

AFL need to invest into the state - playing tag along to Victoria doesnt cut it.

Captain Morgan

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Foolish to ignore your grass roots and focus on areas / regions where sport loyalty is pointed elsewhere.

An empty GC stadium every second week is more damaging to the AFL brand than a full Tasmanian ground where they support their own local team. Get the state government with federal government support to do up a stadium and just get on with it ffs.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
The VFL team is a reasonable result. Despite all the gnashing of teeth, Tasmania is a small market and as such it needs to have wild parochial support to show that it can flourish despite the small market.

The VFL team isn't ideal but it at least gives Tassie something to unite behind to show they can support a team at the highest level. Stop attending Hawthorn games and pack out the stadium for every Tassie VFL game. Show that a Tasmanian team will be well followed, even at VFL level. Develop facilities in conjunction with the government and get a reasonable sized boutique stadium. Make that Tasmanian team the most widely followed state league team in the country and then you'll turn heads.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
So.. what happens if the plans of an AFL reserves league goes ahead? What happens to the Tassie team then?

This all seems a little ill thought out just something to make it look like the AFL have done something when really they’ve done nothing to help Tasmanian football. Having a Tassie team in a glorified Victorian reserves league isn’t the answer, nobody gives a s**t about the VFL anymore.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is the reality. The population really caps their profitability and growth potential.

But we're happy to give a transient destination like the Gold Coast a team who has failed to support a local team from any other sporting code in the past? Makes sense... :rolleyes:

Teams have pulled out if the NEAFL because apart from the AFL slides and NT Thunder they're basically suburban clubs who who want to represent their local community. Travelling interstate requires a whole new level of professionalism for grass roots clubs.

I believe that's what happened with the ACT sides. Too expensive. Too much of a time commitment for the players. Most have full time day jobs. And they were getting a pasting from the Swans every week for their efforts.

Hard ask to expect suburban clubs find extra time and money to play in a competition they have less chance of winning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back