No AFL team for Tasmania, league boss Gillon McLachlan announces

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Can't see that happening, seems far too soon. Surely they need to do stadium upgrades and consolidate GC/GWS first

This GC/GWS merge/fold thing, isnt happening any time soon. People need to get used to this. And you arent going to get stadium upgrades here without an assurance of a team - it would be part of the license deal.

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

“I’m hearing no Hawthorn and no North Melbourne in Tassie after 2021,” he said Sportsday.

“I’m hearing no games at all in Tassie in 2022 with the idea that Tassie would get its 19th team into the AFL in 2023.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
This GC/GWS merge/fold thing, isnt happening any time soon. People need to get used to this. And you arent going to get stadium upgrades here without an assurance of a team - it would be part of the license deal.

Of course gc/GWS won't merge or fold. I just can't see a tas team playing by 2023,seems like its too much to do in such a short time, so much planning and construction and other teams need to plan around it.

How long will it take to plan, get approval, and then construct huge upgrades to Tasmanian stadiums? They'd have to be at least metricom/giants stadium quality.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Love Tassie getting a team.
Hate the AFL expanding to a 19th team and spreading the talent further.

Gold Coast the obvious option to move down. Can cull anyone who doesn't want to go., allow them to FA elsewhere and then given them another bevy of draft picks and Stae-League access to set them up.

Alternatively, St Kilda, North? Which one of you are putting your hands up.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Love Tassie getting a team.
Hate the AFL expanding to a 19th team and spreading the talent further.

Gold Coast the obvious option to move down. Can cull anyone who doesn't want to go., allow them to FA elsewhere and then given them another bevy of draft picks and Stae-League access to set them up.

Alternatively, St Kilda, North? Which one of you are putting your hands up.
There is more chance of 1 of the small Victorians going than any of the interstate sides.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Most people believe Tasmania can't afford its own team,so it would be interesting to see where they get the money.The tasmanian AFL commitee have said they are interested in talking to virgin founder John Branson about becoming a sponser,so that would be interesting to see if that happens.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
You don't think GC and GWS will grow over time?

I doubt they'll ever sustain themselves as AFL clubs without massive amounts of permanent support.

Sydney people don't really go in droves to club sports. The Swans have done well after some tough periods, but it is a city of over 5million people or so, all the 'southern' expats alone could sustain them.

I just don't see the same growth in Western Sydney. I hope it does, but its a different world to the parts of Australia which have the long history of 'Aussie Rules'. Geez, they hardly go to NRL games! The club sport tribal thing is not the same in the wider west of Sydney, or Sydney generally. except SOO RL of course.

GC has a long history of failed sports teams. Their is a reason for that, people do other things.

They may be given enough help to win games & flags, but massive local support? I just don't see it. Again, people do other stuff on the GC.

The question as to how much the game of Australian rules football will grow is more important. In time I think it may make some inroads. Maybe GWS >GC

I think those 2 will always need massive AFL support.

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Most people believe Tasmania can't afford its own team,so it would be interesting to see where they get the money.The tasmanian AFL commitee have said they are interested in talking to virgin founder John Branson about becoming a sponser,so that would be interesting to see if that happens.

I assume John is Richard’s brother.

TigerTrain23

Senior List
Jul 14, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Gold Coast are still far and away the worst in the comp in terms of attendance etc. They make the most sense, the Gold Coast is a sporting franchise graveyard.
It's a common myth. Gold Coast crowds at Metricon have historically over a period of time been higher than that of GWS. If they sort out the on-field stuff the Suns will get fans to the games.

Back