Universal Love No booing Jackson Trengove

Remove this Banner Ad

I have mixed feelings about jnr Burger, I wasn't a member of this site at the time but I can recall discussions on the other site re him not having genuine reasons for making himself unavailable on a number of occasions during his last year on Port's list.

I'm sure our players still love Jacko so much that they'll invite him into the rooms to sing the song after we win the game.

I reckon you boo every ex player or none of them.

Jackson left us the same as anyone else did, not sure why people have such a hard on for him.

Jackson left us the same as anyone else did, not sure why people have such a hard on for him.

There has to be room for nuance.

If a guy leaves because of pressing family reasons (Impey), or because they have no future at the club (Trengove, Lobbe), or for greater opportunities (Young, Ah Chee) or at worst it's mutually beneficial (Pearce), I personally have no problem with them.

But guys who leave taking needless parting shots (Chaplin, Thomas), or because it's all a bit too hard (Burgoyne), or stiff the club with selfish demands (Stevens), or their heart was never in it in the first place (Jacobs), are a completely different kettle of fish.

There is definitely such a thing as going about it the right way.

If a guy leaves because of pressing family reasons (Impey), or because they have no future at the club (Trengove, Lobbe), or for greater opportunities (Young, Ah Chee) or at worst it's mutually beneficial (Pearce), I personally have no problem with them.

But guys who leave taking needless parting shots (Chaplin, Thomas), or because it's all a bit too hard (Burgoyne), or stiff the club with selfish demands (Stevens), or their heart was never in it in the first place (Jacobs), are a completely different kettle of fish.

Shivers I had forgotten about Lobbe. Has he gotten an AFL game this year yet?

What?

You'd genuinely argue that the likes of Trengove or Pearce, who were great servants of the club and then left on good terms when it was the right move for both parties, are in the same category as the likes of Nick Stevens or Troy Chaplin?

Jackson left us because there simply wasn't a spot for him in our side given how we set up, and he was too good and too expensive to be playing SANFL.

Well I wouldn’t really be booing anyone who leaves, but to me it seems overly personal to differentiate.

Like I get that some people leave in a worse way than others, but I wouldn’t necessarily think that makes them a bad person.

If no one ever got booed but Chaplin and everyone in the crowd booed him, that would be a bit ****ed up yeah?

Of course it doesn’t happen like that so I don’t have any issue, but to me it’s a bit strange to go through the process of choosing not to boo someone because you don’t want to hurt their feelings, only to turn around and do it to someone else.l, whose crime was usually just having less tact.

I understand not caring enough to boo Trengove, but getting upset at others doing so doesn’t really add up to me.

That’s probably the point where I’d say its too personal. Booing or not booing is one thing, booing or applauding is a tad much.

What?

You'd genuinely argue that the likes of Trengove or Pearce, who were great servants of the club and then left on good terms when it was the right move for both parties, are in the same category as the likes of Nick Stevens or Troy Chaplin?

Jackson left us because there simply wasn't a spot for him in our side given how we set up, and he was too good and too expensive to be playing SANFL.
Nah not at all, I certainly understand the difference but I guess I’m not a big fan of booing someone for anything less than a legit dog act or cheating.

For instance the only people I’d boo would be the likes of Hodge, Sam Mitchell and Joel Selwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jacko gave everything for our club and would still be doing so if there was a place for him in our side. Champion of the PAFC and had faith in us when no-one did.

A "We Still Love you Jacko" sign wouldn't go astray.

If I boo at the TV and nobody notices does it count?

The only ex-Port players who deserved it...

* Troy Chaplin
* Ben Jacobs
* Nick Stevens
* Adam Heuskes

Fabian Francis, as an ex-Port player but not as a playing ex-Port player - the only chance we may have got to boo this campaigner was while he was a runner for Freo somewhere ~2002 ish. Still on field and in-game so technically it counts for my list ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mixed feelings about jnr Burger, I wasn't a member of this site at the time but I can recall discussions on the other site re him not having genuine reasons for making himself unavailable on a number of occasions during his last year on Port's list.

Plus Choco stuffed it up. He promised Burgoyne the Captaincy but the Board had other ideas and gave it to Dom Cassisi. There were also rumors about Burgoyne being a polarising influence among the playing group. The story was that he was upset about the way his brother Peter had been treated in his last years. Peter was dropped a couple of times. When Shaun left I wasn't too bothered as I thought it was the best thing for all concerned but what I didn't expect was another nine seasons and 180 games for another club.

The only player I have ever demonstrated against was Nick Stevens, Stevens s**t on us when he left and Chaplin upset us after he had gone. The others were pretty straight up, they wanted to leave and told us prior to trading. As for Jacko we were willing to offer him an out and he took it so why is this thread necessary?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back