No Champion Data Prospectus this year

Would you purchase digital content from CD if made available at a similar cost to the Prospectus?

• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Around this time I start thinking about preparing for fantasy footy and the imminent publication of two esteemed tomes: the AFL Record Season Guide and the AFL Prospectus. Got a nasty surprise concerning the Prospectus.

EoBtQhk.jpg

Some will shrug and ask "What's a prospectus?", others will be aware of it without being interested enough to buy it, and still more will consider its statistics junk anyway. But some of you will, like me, be disappointed.

Noted also that there was no women's Footy Almanac last year (presumably not profitable enough). One hopes that a similar issue is not responsible for the demise of the (men's) Prospectus.

If its just the same product but digital then no, if they actually do something meaningful with their hold on all the data and provide a new service that is better than whats already out there - then maybe.

They have all the power but have (comparing to other sports around the world) really poor on passing on useful data about the sport

The Season Guide (fond memories by the way, used to be hype for those release days) like a lot of print became less relevant once online sources such as AFL Tables and the like became the simpler option. Prospectus is more intriguing, but I think the sorts of people into that sort of thing would welcome the predominantly digital move for data leveraging ease.

We follow a backwater league and the lack of in-depth stats for the average punter to peruse is a case in point.

In any major sport in the world, is there a greater gulf between what the professionals (clubs and commentators) and the regular viewers have access to, in terms of stats?

Especially considering the commentators are so loathe to pass any of this information on to the supporters - they'd rather discuss a players new haircut or if theyre dating another players sister.

We follow a backwater league and the lack of in-depth stats for the average punter to peruse is a case in point.

In any major sport in the world, is there a greater gulf between what the professionals (clubs and commentators) and the regular viewers have access to, in terms of stats?

Doubly ridiculous when you consider AFL has been called the most data rich sport in the world.

Yeah, the commentators produce these stats about how many 50-metre penalties each team had between certain rounds and then you try to look into it with only access to the general free kicks each team has received/conceded. There isn't much option on getting great stats for the regular viewer.

Around this time I start thinking about preparing for fantasy footy and the imminent publication of two esteemed tomes: the AFL Record Season Guide and the AFL Prospectus. Got a nasty surprise concerning the Prospectus.

EoBtQhk.jpg

Some will shrug and ask "What's a prospectus?", others will be aware of it without being interested enough to buy it, and still more will consider its statistics junk anyway. But some of you will, like me, be disappointed.

Noted also that there was no women's Footy Almanac last year (presumably not profitable enough). One hopes that a similar issue is not responsible for the demise of the (men's) Prospectus.
They can go * themselves.

Back