Votes: 26 26.3%
  • The Fog plays in the firsts!

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • TYson Stengle debuts!

Votes: 57 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Gallucci was barely sighted in that first half before getting the knock so I'm not sure he should get a free pass. I like Gooch though. I hope we can find a solid role for him.
He’ll be a fine player just probably not with us, like a few others running around the AFL.

Our player development is overrated.

One or two people in this thread have said Fog can’t come in cos he’s down on form.

We’ve set him up to fail by letting him languish in the SANFL all year - out of position no less - and then don’t pick him cos of “form.” Well of course he’s gonna be ******* out of form when you treat him like that.

And now the message is - we wanna see you beating the door down Fog, to break into that front half that kicked 5.14 last weekend. Wouldn’t wanna mess around with that forward line!

He’ll be a fine player just probably not with us, like a few others running around the AFL.

Yep. I've said exactly this. He'll end up a very good player....at another club.

Not sure our player development is overrated but I'm conviced there are certain kinds of players we have no idea how to develop. (e.g. outside mids, small forwards)

Must be something in that ... port have options 'knocking down the door'. We have Mckay, Douglas, knight and sauce knocking on ours. I hope Wilson wins the mcgarey.
We have players performing well in the reserves, we just dont play them because the club falsely believes it's in a premiership window. Anybody can see that Adelaide aren't winning a flag with this group except Adelaide itself.

I wonder how Fagan would rate the authenticity of the Crows mid-2019, 4 years after he gave the interview below?

It's the club constantly treating supporters like morons with miscommunicating (potentially lying at worse) about the chronic injury news last year, and constant spin about why certain veteran players are kept in the side at the expense of youth, that drives me crazy.

'It's a one off'
'It's an event not a trend'
'Back the Boys In'

HT: Does your leadership have a certain flavour? Can Crows supporters expect to clearly see your influence around the club?
AF: I'd like to think so. There's been plenty of change at the club since I arrived and my influence is probably felt in all sorts of different ways, but ultimately the job's got nothing to do with me as an individual.
It's about creating an environment where we can achieve success on and off the field.
In saying that, there are some things that I'm very particular about and some things that I think are core to being successful.
At my opening press conference I spoke about developing an elite football program because I know that drives outcomes, I spoke about putting the right people in the right seats – very quickly we embarked on the appointment of a new coach and some other changes in the broader football department.
I've made similar changes in the commercial department as well, with some recent appointments. I spoke about wanting to be an authentic footy club which reflects both me personally but how I think clubs should operate and engage, and I spoke about wanting to be the most engaged CEO with our membership and supporter base.
I'm strong on accountability as well; as a footy club we have to be accountable to each other, we're accountable to our supporter base and we're accountable to the community that supports us.

HT: An authentic football club … how exactly would you define authenticity in club land?
AF: It's not a comment that's made necessarily to reflect on the past of the Adelaide Football Club, it reflects how I'm going to operate.
A lot of clubs these days can fall into the habit of looking to sell and spin and I think our audience is too smart for that and I don't think that's the way in which we want to operate.

It's about being willing to put your hand up when you make a mistake, it's about speaking as directly as you can to address issues, and as clubs, given the scrutiny we're under, sometimes we find it difficult to do that and we can become defensive.
That's not what we're going to do because we want to have the courage to be innovative and drive things and I speak in the office about the courage to throw 10 darts knowing that seven might land and three might miss.
But we'll put our hand up when those three miss and say, 'We were trying'.

I’m a bit confused by him linking the immediate coaching appointment to his falsehood about “putting the right people in the right seats”. I think he’s referring to Walsh there who was almost entirely recruited prior to his arrival. He had SFA to do with that. And I doubt he had anything to do with other footy dept changes at that time either considering he knew SFA about football. I can definitely see Roo and Noble deferring to Fagan’s judgement on matters football within days of his arrival with his rugby only background.

We have players performing well in the reserves, we just dont play them because the club falsely believes it's in a premiership window. Anybody can see that Adelaide aren't winning a flag with this group except Adelaide itself.
Looking at the rest of the season I reckon we will make finals and port won't

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Gallucci was barely sighted in that first half before getting the knock so I'm not sure he should get a free pass. I like Gooch though. I hope we can find a solid role for him.
He had 2 shots on goal and looked pretty long to me.

By that I mean they are happy with making finals and that’s it. They don’t do what’s required to go the extra step and win flags. We’ve had this attitude for 20 years without a flag.

For them the playing of senior players helps them achieve that goal, even though they’ve proven not to be able to go the extra step required.

Making finals takes the pressure off then and that’s all they care about.

If you asked me whether I’d rather us finish 4, 8, 7, 4 or 4, 13, 12, 1? My answer to that is instantaneous. I think the board and employees of the club would need to get back to you after long and careful consideration.

Is it though ??

I don't think that's correct at all. We develop well but don't give them chances.

If you asked me whether I’d rather us finish 4, 8, 7, 4 or 4, 13, 12, 1? My answer to that is instantaneous. I think the board and employees of the club would need to get back to you after long and careful consideration.
This year is different, but if we were in a normal situation you'd take 13th every day.

I can understand the clubs perspective too though, because for every Hawthorn bottoming out you have a Melbourne or Carlton with enough single digit picks to fill a 22.

This year is different, but if we were in a normal situation you'd take 13th every day.

I can understand the clubs perspective too though, because for every Hawthorn bottoming out you have a Melbourne or Carlton with enough single digit picks to fill a 22.

You can start that list of things I’ve been wrong about. Did not think there was any chance of Dougie being omitted after only a few crap games. But they brought back Dmac with average SANFL form and kept his useless ass in the side, so I still don’t think they’ve turned any corners. And they rushed JJ back from injury when they must know how putrid he is if not completely right. And Sauce is close, I can smell it from here.

You can start that list of things I’ve been wrong about. Did not think there was any chance of Dougie being omitted after only a few crap games. But they brought back Dmac with average SANFL form and kept his useless ass in the side, so I still don’t think they’ve turned any corners. And they rushed JJ back from injury when they must know how putrid he is if not completely right. And Sauce is close, I can smell it from here.
Aside from the fact I've written it 3 times now, why is it you insist on bringing up a different subject ??

Again, our first pick isn't ours so ask yourself, is it better to finish 13th or play finals ?? This year exclusively of course.

If we play Stengle, keep ROB, get Gooch and Jones back in and either Berg or Davis and making finals is actually very beneficial.

Is it though ??

I don't think that's correct at all. We develop well but don't give them chances.

Wouldn’t part of that development be to test them at AFL level? You can play all the SANFL games you want but until you get a feel for the speed and pressure of AFL your development is not complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t part of that development be to test them at AFL level? You can play all the SANFL games you want but until you get a feel for the speed and pressure of AFL your development is not complete.

It's interesting.

Sides like Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong etc leave their draftees in the 2s for a while to develop, which is what we tend to do BUT.....

When they do play them they give them a solid block of games. We throw a game or 2 around the place and throw them back down.

Given the amount of garbage picks we've turned into guns it's hard to argue somewhat with our approach. The only issue I have, is the same that everyone else does..... we hold those kids more accountable than senior players.

Aside from the fact I've written it 3 times now, why is it you insist on bringing up a different subject ??

Again, our first pick isn't ours so ask yourself, is it better to finish 13th or play finals ?? This year exclusively of course.

If we play Stengle, keep ROB, get Gooch and Jones back in and either Berg or Davis and making finals is actually very beneficial.

Firstly, you responded to a post that was a response from me to Elite Crow. Secondly, the post you just responded to is completely unrelated to my response to EC. It has zero to do with finishing position, like, literally nothing whatsoever. It is entirely related to our ongoing argument about whether selection philosophy has really changed this year.

It's interesting.

Sides like Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong etc leave their draftees in the 2s for a while to develop, which is what we tend to do BUT.....

When they do play them they give them a solid block of games. We throw a game or 2 around the place and throw them back down.

Given the amount of garbage picks we've turned into guns it's hard to argue somewhat with our approach. The only issue I have, is the same that everyone else does..... we hold those kids more accountable than senior players.

I think it’s a timing thing. If you are in a serious flag window then you may be more reluctant to play the young players. We are not even close to a flag and should be taking the hit now, play all the young guys and if that means we miss the finals then so be it. It’s time the club stops accepting that making finals each year is the top priority.

Back