Votes: 26 26.3%
  • The Fog plays in the firsts!

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • TYson Stengle debuts!

Votes: 57 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think that’s the issue at all. Look at Henderson and Cameron. Players we developed to best 22 from the rookie list. Both showed signs here and there.

Get them to Hawthorn, or suedo Hawthorn (Fagan at Bris) and suddenly they are AA squad players.

Hell even Shaun McKernan has gone from no career to carving out a career with ESS.

It’s fortunate MMcG went to Carlton who are worse than us
Umm it goes both ways

JJ sauce lynch even Betts has improved at the AFC

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think thats right.

It gets distorted by the fact that we regularly bring players in and they do ok. Greenwood, Keath. Doedee when Lever leaves. ''Wow, Adelaide just keep finding players.''

You're right though, it's just good average players playing their role in a system. They do seem to stagnate or drop off, they dont go to the next level.
Most AFC fans get all excited over good honest players we clearly need some match winners

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Then why recruit him?
For the same reason, they recruited and kept CEY on our list, Remember when he was getting 40plus disposals in a SANFL and most called for his inclusion, yet limited AFL exposure, now if CEY played SANFL he would be lucky to get 30 disposals, Why he has changed his game to allow him to be a solid AFL player. Wilson going thru the same he developing is he worth another year to me that up to the development team who have a better picture than we do.

If Gallucci was going to be in the 22 as a half forward, he should've been in the mid rotation as well to mix things up. This may have helped him get involved more as well.

From memory, this was part of the reason his form really picked up last year. He was given midfield minutes. This year, not so much.

Far ot that makes you a little sad, we had such good spread and run from the backline to the forwards and now thats non existent, we were so confident and willing to take a risk that paid off more often than not due to the confidence and spread, what the hell happened!! How did we not win that GF the way we were playing :(
Pretty simple - it’s in the DNA of this group to have games where they simply don’t turn up. Been happening regularly since 2015.

The GF, whilst disappointing, should not have come as a surprise to anyone.

Pretty simple - it’s in the DNA of this group to have games where they simply don’t turn up. Been happening regularly since 2015.

The GF, whilst disappointing, should not have come as a surprise to anyone.
It was a surprise when we were leading half way through the 2nd quarter lol

Been mismanaged.

You can add him to the list of every sub-50 game player we've had recently.

Milera - shuffled all over the park
Doedee - didn't play for 2 years despite being clearly ready
Fogarty - played him in defence
Gallucci - graveyard role
Jones - graveyard role
Poholke - dominates midfield at SANFL level, plays AFL as a forward
Davis - one game then dropped
O'Brien - can't get a game with Sauce on one leg for years

The cases you can make for good management are maybe Murphy and Himmelberg

Jones - graveyard role

Sauce was nearly AA ruckman in 2017, though he did need a rest at times. ROB himself had injuries almost all of last year too.

Wholeheartedly agree with the rest.

Jones - graveyard role

Graveyard role is the perfect title.

Yet even then he’s put up some really influential numbers given how hard it is to rack up possessions.

Meanwhile Jones averages 21 odd in the 2’s but can’t get on the plane with a squad of 28

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gallucci did not Play after half time he was ruled out with a concussion.
thatsthejoke.jpg

Love our ‘dads army ‘ emergencies ffs
Its the best move, who would you rather miss a game a young kid who if not selected wants to perform in the SANFL or an Old Player who has the experience and can afford to miss a game.
s**t a few weeks back people were canning the club for using the younger players as emergencies. and playing the Older players in the SANFL.

Graveyard role is the perfect title.

Yet even then he’s put up some really influential numbers given how hard it is to rack up possessions.

Meanwhile Jones averages 21 odd in the 2’s but can’t get on the plane with a squad of 28

I don't mind some players getting a stint in the graveyard, I mean someone has to play there in our structure.

But surely we can do a better job at rotating Gallucci, Jones and Milera through the midfield. Especially given how slow, stagnant and beaten we often are

I don't mind some players getting a stint in the graveyard, I mean someone has to play there in our structure.

But surely we can do a better job at rotating Gallucci, Jones and Milera through the midfield. Especially given how slow, stagnant and beaten we often are
CEY, B Crouch and M Crouch are so limited in the roles they can play

And the one with some ability elsewhere (Sloane) is our best mid and we are loathe to move him

We've let that situation fester and it makes it harder to usher new players in.

That was the point he was making......
Was not too sure as there are a few that did not realize the same, as it obvious a few did not realise JJ was one 1 leg after his class with Lycett, and when they moved Keath up forward to cover he did his Knee along with Talia injury, forcing them to play injured players.
Not an excuse for the rubbish they dished up in the 2nd, but I blame the mids and smalls more for that effort because out of our tall only 3 were not carrying leg injuries.

It’s not ‘aw poor Jenkins’, it is a realisation that players can’t just flick a switch and instantly perform and that there can be extenuating circumstances to a performance such as an in game injury.

One performance hardly makes a pattern and people going off and making earlier call do more to confirm their biases over objectivity.
But you are looking at it in hindsight. Most astute posters had concerns about JJs ability to perform at a good level before the game.

That was shown out by his performance. That he didn't have a run in the 2s is on the coaching staff.

I hope he is good to go this week

Was not too sure as there are a few that did not realize the same, as it obvious a few did not realise JJ was one 1 leg after his class with Lycett, and when they moved Keath up forward to cover he did his Knee along with Talia injury, forcing them to play injured players.
Not an excuse for the rubbish they dished up in the 2nd, but I blame the mids and smalls more for that effort because out of our tall only 3 were not carrying leg injuries.
1. Put me down as someone who didn't know JJ got injured
2. He was putrid before this so called injury

Far ot that makes you a little sad, we had such good spread and run from the backline to the forwards and now thats non existent, we were so confident and willing to take a risk that paid off more often than not due to the confidence and spread, what the hell happened!! How did we not win that GF the way we were playing :(
They figured us out.

I like Wilson. I've watched him play for ages too. I had high hopes for him but his one game in the AFL was really bad. I admit he was unlucky to come into the team when he did though. That team we selected against Hawhorn was one of the weakest sides we've fielded in the modern era, on account of injuries.

He actually wasn't that bad at all in that game, we were awful that day, didn't get huge amount of TOG considering though don't think it would have made much difference and then dropped after that. One cannot make their mind up on someone after one game, mature age or not.

I've been following Patrick (amongst many others) since he was in his teenage years as a slender, forward leaning half forward midfielder. He used to be more of a dashing type then but bulked up a lot once he got more consistent league games with Sturt and more again once joining our list. His inside game has developed strongly and now is considered his main style but he's absolutely not slow, would consider his pace pretty much bang on average for a player of his type with the ability to burst through over small to medium distances. He's very strong, his quads/hips are an asset and is one of the longest kicks in our side behind Smithers, Tex and Fog. He's also developed his field passing a lot and kicks a nice flat ball with minimum hang time, perfect for the AFL and very much above average for an inside mid. The scouter in me can see he'd have absolutely no troubles at AFL level.

Defensively he's excellent, take out the 22 tackles in the wet he's always been a good tackler, he's not going to be a glove on someone as he's more useful as an attacking inside mid with his long kicking and ability to back up contest after contest. Bigger AFL bodies won't worry him, he'd easily be able to fill in CEY's spot in the side. Unfortunately I think his papers are stamped which is a great shame. Pyke has constantly said SANFL form will be rewarded but never the case for Patrick and wasn't for Grigg either nor CEY. At least CEY was kept on. Yet only takes 1 or 2 games at the most for the usual suspects to get 'rewarded' with AFL selection. He'll go close to winning the Magarey this year I would think.

Back