No children allowed at Fremantle???

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast got the player but I can't help wondering why I keep hearing this garbage about the reason Kelly was only willing to play for the Eagles because it was a better fit for his family??

Then his wife has talk of her tears of joy at hearing he got traded to the Eagles because Fremantle would not have been a good fit for her and the children..

Why doesn't Freo call out their crap as they are making out like Fremantle is not a family friendly environment... So is there something we don't know? Are players at Freo not allowed to bring their partners and kids into the inner sanctum of the club??

West Coast going on past instances would seem like worst of the 2 in terms of a family club..

Such a load of crap by Kelly must being a selfish player who should have allowed Geelong the ability to find the best offer from the 2 Perth clubs and its obvious that would have been Freo... So Tim and his wife had to make out like going to Freo would be horrible experience for the family..

I think it stinks that Cats gave him a start and this is the thanks they get.

His wife is a die hard Eagles supporter. That's the reason.

Yep because he wouldn't be the number #1 mid

Worked for Neale getting out of Fyfe's shadow...

As for the topic at hand, I think there's a whole range of reasons he chose West Coast - money, success, family, being a supporter, bad history with Freo.
Sometimes it's smarter not to say everything, but just stick to a story.

Anyway, I'm still rather bemused how Kelly's decision is the only one that seems to be getting any air time.

For context, players with kids at the Eagles off the top of my head

Liam Ryan 1
Redden 1
Shuey 1
Hickey 1
Kennedy 2
Vardy 1
McGovern 1
Jetta 2
Darling 2
Schofield 1
Rioli 1

Ryan has another on the way and possibly others. That list recently lost Masten and LeCras who both have 2 kids.

It would be one of the highest rates in the AFL for players with kids
The Real Family Club

Worked for Neale getting out of Fyfe's shadow...

As for the topic at hand, I think there's a whole range of reasons he chose West Coast - money, success, family, being a supporter, bad history with Freo.
Sometimes it's smarter not to say everything, but just stick to a story.

Anyway, I'm still rather bemused how Kelly's decision is the only one that seems to be getting any air time.
Prob because there's been hardly any other trades done

[Q
He was a West Coast supporter growing up so it makes sense. He felt West Coast would be a better fit for him and that's fair. I'd say that "Fremantle don't allow children" is a bit far fetched.

The OP didnt link his conclusions, perhaps I missed it? Initially some cats fans took Kelly leaving as reflecting on Geelong, that was nonsense too.

I also think is a bit strange it kind of painted freo with this negativity without much justification. I understand he wants to go to west coast, just say the preference is west coast because there more security, more opportunities, closer to home, I barracked for them when I was a kid, etc.

Adam Trelor chose Collingwood over Richmond cause he thought they had a better list. He came out and spoke his thruth

I don't know why the family aspect of Tim Kelly's trade has attracted so much interest. Barely a month or two ago Ballantyne and Sandilands were walking off the field with their kids. Freo isn't some nasty environment where children are banned. How much of a factor other WC players having kids was in his decision to choose WC over Freo I don't know but who cares? Some players choose Freo, some choose WC. It's such a non event. If both teams finished around the same point on the ladder no one would give a s**t where he asked to go.

Do you reckon its because he thinks West Coast are a better club, more stable back room staff, known coaching group, are a better chance of playing finals in his time there, better chance of a flag in his time there, presented better, suit his style of play more, allow him to be a better player with those around him, will be paid more and supported them growing up? any chance of any those things influencing the decision as opposed to all these other theories that are very irrelevant?

Did anyone cry when Nathan Wilson said he hated West Coast in an interview and said he would only ever join Fremantle? or maybe because he didn't have kids at the time that's why he chose Fremantle. Maybe they do more activities for couples with no kids? Maybe we trade for him now he has kids. Hope Masto is ok there with his kids if he goes... maybe straight swap?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast got the player but I can't help wondering why I keep hearing this garbage about the reason Kelly was only willing to play for the Eagles because it was a better fit for his family??

Then his wife has talk of her tears of joy at hearing he got traded to the Eagles because Fremantle would not have been a good fit for her and the children..

Why doesn't Freo call out their crap as they are making out like Fremantle is not a family friendly environment... So is there something we don't know? Are players at Freo not allowed to bring their partners and kids into the inner sanctum of the club??

West Coast going on past instances would seem like worst of the 2 in terms of a family club..

Such a load of crap by Kelly must being a selfish player who should have allowed Geelong the ability to find the best offer from the 2 Perth clubs and its obvious that would have been Freo... So Tim and his wife had to make out like going to Freo would be horrible experience for the family..

I think it stinks that Cats gave him a start and this is the thanks they get.
We gave Judd his start in football so are you saying he shouldn't have been allowed to go to Carlton. The same with Adelaide - they gave Dangerfield his start in football as well so on your theory he shouldn't have been allowed to go to Geelong! What a load of garbage. Two sets of rules around here. No matter what the reason Kelly chose WCE instead of Freo that was his choice and the rest means diddly squat.

In any event Freo may improve things with Justin coming on board as coach but while Ross was there quite a few of their players seemed to want to leave Freo and you have to ask the question why? As we seem to be able to keep most of our players so we must be doing something right!

Take your hand off it!

Yeah I found it weird. Sure if you only want to go to West Coast then just say it.

But then to bring the family aspect into it and have the media talking about his autistic kids as being part of a reason not to move to Freo, without any explanation of why...
There are many stories floating around but of course I don't know if any of them are really true.

Do you reckon its because he thinks West Coast are a better club, more stable back room staff, known coaching group, are a better chance of playing finals in his time there, better chance of a flag in his time there, presented better, suit his style of play more, allow him to be a better player with those around him, will be paid more and supported them growing up? any chance of any those things influencing the decision as opposed to all these other theories that are very irrelevant?

Then why come out and not so subtly attempt to force the trade through media pressure under the guise of family circumstances and West Coast being a better fit for his family? As I've said before and earlier in this thread, absolutely nothing wrong with Kelly needing to go home, you have to do what is right for your family and the bloke is OoC. It's the way they have played it out in the media that rubs me wrong, when the true motives are obvious as hell.

Either be true to the fact that you absolutely have to head back to Perth because of circumstances or be straight forward why you only specifically want to join one club that is in Perth.

The same goes for any player. Papley for example should be told by Sydney that unless Carlton can absolutely satisfy their demands (fortunately for us looks likely) he should reconsider his club choice. I would suggest all parties think it can be achieved, but if not... Papley should be told to either reconsider another destination or honour his contract. His use of the 'personal circumstances require me to be in VIC' whilst under contract, but I only want to be traded to Carlton doesn't really wash with me.

Did anyone cry when Nathan Wilson said he hated West Coast in an interview and said he would only ever join Fremantle? =

Had absolute respect for him coming out and saying that, because it was the truth. No heart string pulling nonsense. The clubs were able to work it out reasonably easily and don't really think WCE needed him all that much so was pretty spot on...

Kelly is perceived to have broken the norm of players having little agency in determining where they end up so some people are triggered. Fair enough, players getting too big for their boots could spell trouble for the league down the track.

A few reasons he may have preferred West Coast:
+ possible personal issues with personnel at the club.
+ Fremantle is less stable, coach just fired.
+ West Coast is renowned as a destination club that gives massive support to players.
+ Players are actively trying to get out of Freo(what does this say about the environment?).
+ Kelly had a relationship with West Coast prior to being drafted.
+ Wants success soon.

Not an exhaustive list, but there's enough there for the triggered nuffies to chew on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back