No children allowed at Fremantle???

Remove this Banner Ad

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
Then why come out and not so subtly attempt to force the trade through media pressure under the guise of family circumstances and West Coast being a better fit for his family? As I've said before and earlier in this thread, absolutely nothing wrong with Kelly needing to go home, you have to do what is right for your family and the bloke is OoC. It's the way they have played it out in the media that rubs me wrong, when the true motives are obvious as hell.

Either be true to the fact that you absolutely have to head back to Perth because of circumstances or be straight forward why you only specifically want to join one club that is in Perth.

The same goes for any player. Papley for example should be told by Sydney that unless Carlton can absolutely satisfy their demands (fortunately for us looks likely) he should reconsider his club choice. I would suggest all parties think it can be achieved, but if not... Papley should be told to either reconsider another destination or honour his contract. His use of the 'personal circumstances require me to be in VIC' whilst under contract, but I only want to be traded to Carlton doesn't really wash with me.

Had absolute respect for him coming out and saying that, because it was the truth. No heart string pulling nonsense. The clubs were able to work it out reasonably easily and don't really think WCE needed him all that much so was pretty spot on...
Was that Kelly though or his Manager and also the media. I think Kelly was quite respectful to Geelong and I can't recall him saying anything apart from the factWCE was his chosen Club?

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
So in between Tim Kelly’s Mrs publicly shitting on Geelong (the club that gave TK his AFL career) for holding him to his contract, emotionally blackmailing the AFL community for two years, keeping the only other club in WA at arms length for the duration, and Geelong being reimbursed the bare minimum for currently one of the best players in the league, it really is hard to enjoy the overall outcome.

They telegraphed their move for two years, and despite West Coast passing on TK in several drafts - including the very draft he went to Geelong in - the entitlement and petulance to get there is quite staggering.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
So in between Tim Kelly’s Mrs publicly shitting on Geelong (the club that gave TK his AFL career) for holding him to his contract, emotionally blackmailing the AFL community for two years, keeping the only other club in WA at arms length for the duration, and Geelong being reimbursed the bare minimum for currently one of the best players in the league, it really is hard to enjoy the overall outcome.

They telegraphed their move for two years, and despite West Coast passing on TK in several drafts - including the very draft he went to Geelong in - the entitlement and petulance to get there is quite staggering.

Umm yeah...the bare minimum...

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
Was that Kelly though or his Manager and also the media. I think Kelly was quite respectful to Geelong and I can't recall him saying anything apart from the factWCE was his chosen Club?

Kelly's manager is Kelly. He represents him and his interests.

Everything that was aired through the media was done in order to leverage people/the AFL community emotionally and hence create a situation where Geelong could only deal with WC or wear the consequences. Rightly or wrongly, the populus opinion and certainly the one held by the greater media does have future consequences and effects for clubs. Kelly and his manager obviously knew this and played the sympathy card over and over despite anyone with a decent thought in their brain knowing the real motives.

I’m a Carlton supporter, who has absolutely no skin in the game.

What the actual fu** are you on about?

Had the same dispute with another poster, in another thread. Some over there are absolutely convinced that the Vic Media is evil, omnipotent, does trades, controls the game and has an axe to grind against all 'outside clubs' and all Victorians are in on it. Pretty bizarre and at times down right sad.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest

Tim has always come over as very respectful, unfortunately his missus and manager muddied the water a bit.

I’m no fan of player managers, but this manager seems very amateurish.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Kelly is perceived to have broken the norm of players having little agency in determining where they end up so some people are triggered. Fair enough, players getting too big for their boots could spell trouble for the league down the track.

A few reasons he may have preferred West Coast:
+ possible personal issues with personnel at the club.
+ Fremantle is less stable, coach just fired.
+ West Coast is renowned as a destination club that gives massive support to players.
+ Players are actively trying to get out of Freo(what does this say about the environment?).
+ Kelly had a relationship with West Coast prior to being drafted.
+ Wants success soon.

Not an exhaustive list, but there's enough there for the triggered nuffies to chew on!

None of which relates to the stated reasons.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
People offended that his wife had the nerve to say what she thought and speak her mind, how dare she....

Fair point, but when it comes to trades, the missus’s usually are seen but not heard.

How dare she ....... , remember when Mrs Pav was ridiculed for having the nerve to say what she thought about an incident.

All the best to Tim next season.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
People offended that his wife had the nerve to say what she thought and speak her mind, how dare she....

Nah the swipes last year were completely classless and disrespectful to Geelong, who gave TK his AFL start, and got the absolute most out of him. Their investment in him has now culminated in him getting a massive contract in his home state.

Geelong had every right to hold him to his contract, and TK’s Mrs comments in the aftermath of last year’s trade period were unbelievably petulant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
yes because wanting to go home completely voids his right to choose a club

both cannot exist simultaneously

mind numbing logic..probably another halfwit freo conspiracy hey

In which case it's less about being 'home' and more about being at a specific club, like the various other players that have 'nominated' a club.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Players are too scared to say 'I'm going there because they're offering more money'.
I reckon even if Freo were offering more money (and they probably were because they can) he still would have chosen WC.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I’m a Carlton supporter, who has absolutely no skin in the game.

What the actual fu** are you on about?

West Coast fans aren't used to anything but glowing praise lashed upon their club and players.

It's the result of decades of the local paper doubling as the club newsletter.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)

4 picks Inc 2 first rounders. Never been coughed up before for any other player.

"Bare minimum".

LOL!!

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
4 picks Inc 2 first rounders. Never been coughed up before for any other player.

"Bare minimum".

LOL!!

One late first, another likely late first and a few mid-range picks for a top 5 league player.

It’s a passable deal for Geelong, but it had to be given how good Kelly is and how long they had to flesh it out.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Why would any decent player wanting to return home to WA chose Freo over the Eagles?

The Dockers have hardly got the pedigree or professionalism of West Coast. Why should Kelly be guilt tripped for joining a superior club and environment ??

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Why would any decent player wanting to return home to WA chose Freo over the Eagles?

The Dockers have hardly got the pedigree or professionalism of West Coast. Why should Kelly be guilt tripped for joining a superior club and environment ??

because some people (mind numbingly) believe wanting to go home voids your right to choosing a club

I want to move to Melbourne but but but you must live in Frankston
These people walk among us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back