No children allowed at Fremantle???

Remove this Banner Ad

My point is Treloar didn't peddle out the same old cliches, so presumably he was speaking honestly.

You’re kidding?

“The reason I chose to go to club A is because they’re closer to a Premiership” is a well worn cliche. Treloar, Buckley and Griffen are high profile examples because it bit them on the backside, but there are plenty of other examples that didn’t and get forgotten about.

Last edited:

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think it's a status thing over there with the WAGS, all the popular instagram locations are on that side of the river.

The wife has definitely been the power play in this move.

I saw an interview yesterday where TK said there were reasons for West Coast and he didn't want to discuss them. If it's his personal reasons or to do with his kids, surely he would just say what it is. The fact it's some big secret just gives more fuel to the fact it's something to do with the wife. No football player would ever say, "I want to go to club **** because my wife demands it!"

The wife has definitely been the power play in this move.

I saw an interview yesterday where TK said there were reasons for West Coast and he didn't want to discuss them. If it's his personal reasons or to do with his kids, surely he would just say what it is. The fact it's some big secret just gives more fuel to the fact it's something to do with the wife. No football player would ever say, "I want to go to club **** because my wife demands it!"

You missed a golden opportunity to write ‘No football player would ever say “I want to go to Club X because my wife demands it!” ‘ :)

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
FFS Kelly wanted to go to WC. For whatever reason he was never interested in Freo. If he has grown up a west coast supporter and looks at both clubs as a destination its pretty easy to see why he chose WC and this is not about bagging Freo. He is 24 had to fight and scrap to get drafted and now that he has made it he probably feels like fxck it, i now hold all the cards and will now decide my future. WC are in the premiership window, have a great culture, playing group and coaches. Freo are far off a premiership, had no coach till a few weeks ago and no ceo. Pretty simple decision i would think. And again this isnt about bagging freo its just the reality of the situation. I think Kelly has been very diplomatic in why he chose WC over Freo, what else is he going to say? I reckon the salt from the richmond supporters is purely based on WC becoming a bigger threat to their "dynasty"! I am also wondering how Danger feels right now.
7E5A6A4A-EAFA-474A-B132-53D88D4BB8E1.jpeg

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
FFS Kelly wanted to go to WC. For whatever reason he was never interested in Freo. If he has grown up a west coast supporter and looks at both clubs as a destination its pretty easy to see why he chose WC and this is not about bagging Freo. He is 24 had to fight and scrap to get drafted and now that he has made it he probably feels like fxck it, i now hold all the cards and will now decide my future. WC are in the premiership window, have a great culture, playing group and coaches. Freo are far off a premiership, had no coach till a few weeks ago and no ceo. Pretty simple decision i would think. And again this isnt about bagging freo its just the reality of the situation. I think Kelly has been very diplomatic in why he chose WC over Freo, what else is he going to say? I reckon the salt from the richmond supporters is purely based on WC becoming a bigger threat to their "dynasty"! I am also wondering how Danger feels right now.

No he hasn't.

He hasn't said any of those things you mentioned. I haven't seen him say he grew up a West Coast supporter, or about their premiership window or the players, the coach.. none of it. All I've seen is the wife being elated about going there, and TK saying in interviews that he doesn't want to talk about the reasons for not going to Freo. He played for South Fremantle. Why didn't he play for the East Perth WAFL team if he loves West Coast so much?

It's all to do with money, success and possible to do with his wife's personal goals. He just won't say that. Saying it's all about the kids, is what puts people off. Freo would not treat his kids or family any differently to West Coast.

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I think there where genuine reasons for picking west coast as pointed out a lot of our players have young children and being a well resourced club id imagine we would have better funding and access to programs, clinics, medical professionals and connections then most other clubs

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think there where genuine reasons for picking west coast as pointed out a lot of our players have young children and being a well resourced club id imagine we would have better funding and access to programs, clinics, medical professionals and connections then most other clubs

Don't disagree at all, just wish players would man up and say it.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

On 700k per year... pretty sure he won't have any trouble sourcing out the best medical professionals.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Don't disagree at all, just wish players would man up and say it.
Why do they have to explain a decision? It’s their decision and frankly has nothing to do with the great unwashed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
On 700k per year... pretty sure he won't have any trouble sourcing out the best medical professionals.
Speech therapy costs a fortune and having two non verbal children is a huge work load. Lathlain park/ Optus is much closer to most your good medical facilities then cockburn is and if someone is going to pay it for you why wouldn’t you take it up?

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why do they have to explain a decision? It’s their decision and frankly has nothing to do with the great unwashed

Nobody has to do anything, this is true. But what they do, molds their image to the public......

Public figure - honest and transparent about actions - people respect and like the person

Public figure - secretive and not transparent about actions - people are suspicious, don't trust, don't respect, and can come to dislike the person

This is hows society and social status works ... someone in the public eye, making their money off the fans that follow them and look up to them, is not the same as a factory worker who decides to change jobs.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Speech therapy costs a fortune and having two non verbal children is a huge work load. Lathlain park/ Optus is much closer to most your good medical facilities then cockburn is and if someone is going to pay it for you why wouldn’t you take it up?

Full time speech therapist would cost about 60k/year.

I would have thought Adelaide to be a better destination for speech therapy.

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Full time speech therapist would cost about 60k/year.

I would have thought Adelaide to be a better destination for speech therapy.
I wouldn’t know the extent of that but being in Perth would be to have family support ie to help look after the kids. But the costs/ time commitment to it shouldn’t be doubted

blackus

Senior List
Jul 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
No he hasn't.

He hasn't said any of those things you mentioned. I haven't seen him say he grew up a West Coast supporter, or about their premiership window or the players, the coach.. none of it. All I've seen is the wife being elated about going there, and TK saying in interviews that he doesn't want to talk about the reasons for not going to Freo. He played for South Fremantle. Why didn't he play for the East Perth WAFL team if he loves West Coast so much?

It's all to do with money, success and possible to do with his wife's personal goals. He just won't say that. Saying it's all about the kids, is what puts people off. Freo would not treat his kids or family any differently to West Coast.
read what i said pal, I didnt say he said those things, its what he would have been thinking about making his decision. By the way - Did you listen to his press conference? he grew up supporting WC. Of course he isnt going to say all those things - would you? He has played a straight bat. By all reports he left a few million on the table by not joining freo so its not about the money. Yes am sure its about success - his wifes personal goals ??? WTF is that??? I am sure TK said geez my wife wants me to go to WC so i better.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wouldn’t know the extent of that but being in Perth would be to have family support ie to help look after the kids. But the costs/ time commitment to it shouldn’t be doubted

I understand the move to Perth for family and support that. But the snub of Freo with no honest explanation is what I don't understand.

As I've said earlier, I'd completely appreciate his decision with no criticism if he said he wants to go to Perth for family and West Coast to win a flag. He hasn't said that. We know that's part of the reason, and this is what makes the situation sad. Saying West Coast for family... is just a weird thing to say to me. Again, as I've stated, Fremantle would not treat his family any differently and would provide the same level of support.

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
West Coast got the player but I can't help wondering why I keep hearing this garbage about the reason Kelly was only willing to play for the Eagles because it was a better fit for his family??

Then his wife has talk of her tears of joy at hearing he got traded to the Eagles because Fremantle would not have been a good fit for her and the children..

Why doesn't Freo call out their crap as they are making out like Fremantle is not a family friendly environment... So is there something we don't know? Are players at Freo not allowed to bring their partners and kids into the inner sanctum of the club??

West Coast going on past instances would seem like worst of the 2 in terms of a family club..

Such a load of crap by Kelly must being a selfish player who should have allowed Geelong the ability to find the best offer from the 2 Perth clubs and its obvious that would have been Freo... So Tim and his wife had to make out like going to Freo would be horrible experience for the family..

I think it stinks that Cats gave him a start and this is the thanks they get.

there are more underlying reasons why kelly didnt want to go there but hes a professional in the sense he doesnt want to bad mouth em.

anyway why so salty? scared? dont worry you ought to be pending a good bill of health were on our way to hunt

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
For context, players with kids at the Eagles off the top of my head

Liam Ryan 1
Redden 1
Shuey 1
Hickey 1
Kennedy 2
Vardy 1
McGovern 1
Jetta 2
Darling 2
Schofield 1
Rioli 1

Ryan has another on the way and possibly others. That list recently lost Masten and LeCras who both have 2 kids.

It would be one of the highest rates in the AFL for players with kids
mcgovern has 2

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
You’re kidding?

“The reason I chose to go to club A is because they’re closer to a Premiership” is a well worn cliche. Treloar, Buckley and Griffen are high profile examples because it bit them on the backside, but there are plenty of other examples that didn’t and get forgotten about.

I'd argue that Treloar's case is different, because he was deciding between a couple of destinations. As far as I remember in the other instances you've cited there was only ever one club on the radar so it wasn't a case of choosing destination A over destination B.

You're exactly right but why did his manager have to keep trotting out the family line when asked why WCE and not Freo? It made perfect sense to me as a Geelong supporter that he wanted to go to WA for family reason and specifically WCE for football reasons, but the message that came out a number of times was that "WCE suits their family better"

I have absolutely no hard feelings over anything that transpired except that moron manager of his continually using the 'it's about his family' line when discussing why he picked WCE

I'd argue that Treloar's case is different, because he was deciding between a couple of destinations. As far as I remember in the other instances you've cited there was only ever one club on the radar so it wasn't a case of choosing destination A over destination B.

At it’s core, it remains a cliche reason a player gives why they chose one club over other club(s)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back