Family & Relationships No christmas

Remove this Banner Ad

Up at 7, played Don Bradman Cricket on ps3 till 9. Fertilized my veggie plants. Nan rocked up and we swapped gifts and had a fruit platter with pancakes. Did a load of washing. Browsed Bigfooty and facebook. Played DBC on ps3. Vacuumed the kitchen. Had a wank. Back to Bigfooty browsing. Heading to Nan's later for desert and to give the niece's their presents.

Up at 7, played Don Bradman Cricket on ps3 till 9. Fertilized my veggie plants. Nan rocked up and we swapped gifts and had a fruit platter with pancakes. Did a load of washing. Browsed Bigfooty and facebook. Played DBC on ps3. Vacuumed the kitchen. Had a wank. Back to Bigfooty browsing. Heading to Nan's later for desert and to give the niece's their presents.
Hope you wash your hands.;)

Did the same. Missus had work today was a pretty relaxed day for me not having to go anywhere.

Eating boiled eggs by myself today.

One year when I was living in the US, I smoked cigarettes and drank a bottle of wine in my apartment entirely alone. I got a call from my mum; I didn't answer. It was so beautifully cold and lonely. I just wallowed in this feeling of separation. It was freezing cold outside so I rugged up and went for a walk and there was this surreal feeling of total contentment. I felt bad about being by myself, but it was this beautiful kind of sadness.

I recommend it.

One year when I was living in the US, I smoked cigarettes and drank a bottle of wine in my apartment entirely alone. I got a call from my mum; I didn't answer. It was so beautifully cold and lonely. I just wallowed in this feeling of separation. It was freezing cold outside so I rugged up and went for a walk and there was this surreal feeling of total contentment. I felt bad about being by myself, but it was this beautiful kind of sadness.

I recommend it.

As interesting as a winter Christmas seems, I don't think I could handle snow and all that it brings. I highly value summer weather during this time of year, would much rather build a sand castle than a snowman (I don't even build sand castles ha ha).

I recommend it.
That is such a great description.

Happy sad, I'm always happy sad

Well fast forward to today. My girlfriend is in NSW, (not the same one) just had a massive blow up with my sister and her family, my other sis is still living overseas. It's me and my parents at this stage. Every thing looks to be improving.....

I've begun to like Christmas a bit more. I used to be pretty resentful and cynical towards the whole thing; how are you supposed to have a good day when your dad's whinging about dreading seeing his in-laws? And when his bitching is fair? How are you going to be carefree when you're mum gets pissed off because she's cooking on behalf of a few others who refuse to?

It shits people and everyone has a right to be angry. It's family issues and money trouble and time restraints all rolled into one.

I never understood families who catch up every week and then have this fabulous, party for 30. You know, where no one gets into a fight during backyard cricket or where someone's girlfriend rocks up four-wines deep because she was so nervous... or where nana cries because the pav's gone to s**t. Wogs should be the only exception to this rule – yet there are still people and families who enjoy it.

This year I'll potentially lose my job over Christmas. Took a week and a half off in a bottle shop and they already hate me. But I don't care. Worth it to go back home and catch up with my mate, go to some actual beaches, and take it easy. It's more about the fact those two weeks epitomise summer and casualness – not the fact Chrissy's right in the middle.

It's still completely overrated though and people still feel this sense of occasion towards it. See it as a relaxing, low key day and you'll probably have one. For those lucky enough to have that luxury, it's good. Have some nice food, a few beers, and a couple of swims while doing naff all else. It's always a ripe old day in Perth as well, apparently it's always grey and average in Melbs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would kill baby Jesus if it meant I could have a Christmas at home and just relax. Not once on my 26 years on this earth have I had Christmas at home.

It's my absolute favourite time of year for sure.

Christmas Eve, to me, has always been the superior day no question. For the past couple of years I've spent it with mates, having a few beers and a couple of cones and just in giddy excitement for the next day. It also feels like the epilogue to the year - You sit back and reflect and analyse the changes and events of the last 12 months. It's really sentimental; whereas on New Years you're just out to get blind.

Then Christmas Day is awesome too, as you get gifts, a massive lunch and another opportunity to get pissed. And no one looks down on you for it.

Love Actually is a ripper film too. Sometimes I like to watch Sound of Music on Christmas Eve for the nostalgia and wide-eyed sense of wonder and enchantment it induced in me.

While you're on the subject of art, Silent Night would have to be the best Christmas single of all time. Great melody, nice chord progression, with prominent use of the 7 chord and plenty of clever poetic phrases. Who needs Kendrick Lamar or Hunter S Thompson when you've got Silent Night cranking on your tape deck.

I would kill baby Jesus if it meant I could have a Christmas at home and just relax. Not once on my 26 years on this earth have I had Christmas at home.
Well stop committing crimes and you wouldn't have to have Christmas each year with your bunk pal Bruno ;)

+1 for Christmas eve. I'm no Christmas nut, and despise the commercial side of it, but for some reason I find the reflective vibe of Christmas Eve to be really enjoyable. Usually spend it with mates and/ or my immediate family which is way better than pretending to be interested whilst talking to your boring older cousin about her pointless job at the family lunch.

This is the first Christmas I am looking forward to in a long time. Mainly because my gf is really in to the spirit and with a 2yo it brings the magic back. Otherwise it's just catching up with relatives, some who are hard to put up with and make minimal and sometimes zero effort to attend or participate. Some of my family I love catching up with, some I'm pleased when they don't even bother.

Christmas Eve, to me, has always been the superior day no question.

Christmas Eve especially the night has a relaxing feel to it. Christmas Day once you've finished the family events is boring.

Suspect the "Christmas season" is better in winter. Still stressed about buying presents and attending engagements but without the hot weather.

I would say Xmas at home is more stressful because you'd be hosting for the whole extended family
No, I don't want to host anybody either. I just want to stay at home with just my wife and daughter. There are 364 other days a year I can spend with family. Why do I have to spend this day with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back