News No Dwelling On Past Glories

Remove this Banner Ad

If you get stuck in the past, you die in the present - Adem Yze

Wellll well well...wonder how the Ooze is going to reconcile that highlighted statement with the playing of past champions in his Team!
Interesting times...

Yze’s team selection for our second practice match suggests he is still stuck in the past. With the last hitout before Ground zero he plays JGTI, Hopper, Pickett , Prestia , rushes Grimes in and smooth talking Kosi . Might win a game or two with these guys in , but reality is we can only carry two of them. It was really disappointing watching Clarke, NIWL , KMac2 and MRJ playing the seconds game and basically the same set up as mini mouse and dimwit.

Last edited:

Yze’s team selection for our second practice match suggests he is still stuck in the past. With the last hitout before Ground zero he plays JGTI, Hopper, Pickett , Prestia , rushes Grimes in and smooth talking Kosi . Might win a game or two with these guys in , but reality is we can only carry two of them. It was really disappointing watching Clarke, NIWL , KMac2 and MRJ playing the seconds game and basically the same set up as mini mouse and dimwit.
Agree, I only hope he is giving those players enough rope so as to minimize the backlash when he does move on them.
In any case it’s a timid start.

Love the article. Everything he said reeks of sense and future success. He's giving players a chance to step up into roles and backing our system for the now and the future. History can be an anchor sometimes especially to a new coach and group of players. I like how he's removed the photo from the changerooms to say that our side does not dwell in the glories of the past.

I hope the players reward his faith.

Reading some of the comments in the last few pages, is good for a giggle.

If Yze was to play a side chock full of kids with a core group of Nankervis Lynch Baker Short Martin Taranto Broad Vlastuin & D.Rioli a lot of those complaining about the old campaigners being picked would be then complaining about how uncompetitive we've become and that our youth are crap and we need to blow up the whole list and start again.

Change doesn't happen over one summer, it's a longer term thing that will take the best part of 12 months to truly implement. I can almost guarantee that the sides we pick in the first month of the year, won't look anything like the sides that we're picking later in the season, once Yze has been able to see how players fit into his game plan when we're playing actual games, rather than intra-club and scratch matches.

Yze’s team selection for our second practice match suggests he is still stuck in the past. With the last hitout before Ground zero he plays JGTI, Hopper, Pickett , Prestia , rushes Grimes in and smooth talking Kosi . Might win a game or two with these guys in , but reality is we can only carry two of them. It was really disappointing watching Clarke, NIWL , KMac2 and MRJ playing the seconds game and basically the same set up as mini mouse and dimwiti
Is Mini secretly coaching?
Selection: weird. a win vs MFC loss to CFC.

In my ignorant opinion, we stuffed up drafting TT & JH. But so did MFC and Grundy and they move him on to Sydney.
TT AND JH seemed like a reaction to Prestia getting injured in the 22 final.
OK so Dusty recovers form, Prestia played 20 games last year, Cotch a lot too. Graham too many.

Injury to Lynch didn't help, and. So Balta and Kosi with Dusty & Bolton fwd, Dusty 7 Bolton are better fwds than the rest of our mids.

Good to have a look at Campbell, & Green. I think Clarke is coming back from injury. Sonz is in OK form, Kmac II will get games,
MRJ looked OK in the middle in the VFL praccy match. Fair in the AFL match.
I'd play him above Green

Reading some of the comments in the last few pages, is good for a giggle.

If Yze was to play a side chock full of kids with a core group of Nankervis Lynch Baker Short Martin Taranto Broad Vlastuin & D.Rioli a lot of those complaining about the old campaigners being picked would be then complaining about how uncompetitive we've become and that our youth are crap and we need to blow up the whole list and start again.

Change doesn't happen over one summer, it's a longer term thing that will take the best part of 12 months to truly implement. I can almost guarantee that the sides we pick in the first month of the year, won't look anything like the sides that we're picking later in the season, once Yze has been able to see how players fit into his game plan when we're playing actual games, rather than intra-club and scratch matches.
I notice your core 9 doesn't include Grimes, Kmac, Pickett, Graham, Prestia, Hopper, Mansell who never get dropped, and were Yze's first choice. The list is 4 years older than 2020.

Dimma had a crack at a flag in 2022. The list failed badly 2021 & 23

Positives being Young, Ryan, Ross, who seems out of favour in the preseason.
t,
Going into 24 Gibcus playing is great...small fwds is the only spot getting shuffled

Giants turned it around with no major shifts in line up. Can we replicate that or do a Essadon?

I notice your core 9 doesn't include Grimes, Kmac, Pickett, Graham, Prestia, Hopper, Mansell who never get dropped, and were Yze's first choice. The list is 4 years older than 2020.

Dimma had a crack at a flag in 2022. The list failed badly 2021 & 23

Positives being Young, Ryan, Ross, who seems out of favour in the preseason.
t,
Going into 24 Gibcus playing is great...small fwds is the only spot getting shuffled

Giants turned it around with no major shifts in line up. Can we replicate that or do a Essadon?
It doesn't because reading some comments it appears that is what some want to see. Get rid of all the older 'hacks' and just load up on kids with the older guys who aren't considered duds and somehow still be a finals contender.

I mentioned yesterday, GWS were 4-8 after 12 weeks before they got on a role in the second half of the season and capitalized on some better teams in 2023 choking as the season came to a close. I've got no doubt that we'll be a bottom 6 side to start the season as the kinks are ironed out in Yze game plan and team selection before things start to settle and click.

Judging by the comments made in the game day thread Tuesday night, I'm not sure many of our fans are in the same boat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back