Roast No Facility at AIA Park is not Good Enough

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's to do with it being a council ground, and as such we can't.

Or at least I've read that somewhere

and I hear the Yarra Council hates Collingwood

Its fine to do that during the week when the players are there. But on the weekends, during vfl games where nobody uses the cafe, there is no excuses. Makes it worse that the cafe at aami is also closed.

Could this be related to the renovations at the AIA Centre? Are they still underway?

The players had their own kitchen inside … which is sure capable of preparing decent coffee in times of Covid …

… but if the internal kitchen is currently closed due to renovations, and the club have commandeered the cafe for the duration of those renovations, then that seems perfectly reasonable? (But if that were the case why isn’t the club just saying it?)

Requires
  • grandstand of sorts on AAMI side
  • Some covered shelter on Glasshouse side
  • food / drinks for VFL games
  • Public toilets

For training
- CFC small coffee van that they wheel out
— coffees and a few snacks
A cheap and easy alternative to the cafe

Last edited:
Requires

For training

+ public toilet facilities?

I think it's to do with it being a council ground, and as such we can't.

Or at least I've read that somewhere

Yarra Council own the ground, in that it’s Council owned land. There have been various leasing arrangements with the club going back decades. It’s a long and involved story but we largely walked away in 2005, but retained use of the Social Club building for club-related philanthropic purposes. Then in about 2009-10 we started negotiating with the Council to play VFL games there and undertake renovations including the landscaping, some demolitions, the heritage interpretation and the introduction of the electronic scoreboard (which has never worked). A lot of this was paid for with Federal funds (IIRC) and by the Council.

So for some years our VFL team played there, and more recently our AFLW team. Hooray!

Meanwhile, back at Olympic Park, the old OP stands and athletics track were removed, and the club moved its training from Gosch’s Paddock to the current oval - plus new building and updating the facilities - which is still happening.

And now our VFL team seems to be playing most of their games at the AIA Centre.

I hate that, but I expect that $ are involved, especially with the VFL games now all being broadcast/streamed, and there is probably a requirement for our sponsors to be seen. That is not the case at Vic Park.

Agree. Don't mind during the Week it be for Players and Staff BUT when VFL Game is on it should be open really

If they open the cafe to the general public then I’d imagine they’d then need to do a full clean so that it once again was safe for players and staff during the week. Is it worth it? The issue is more likely that alternatives weren’t provided.

Requires
  • Public toilets

For training

Correct.
We left at half time Saturday to go and find some food and drinks, despite planning to spend the afternoon at Collingwood Footscray on our Melbourne trip.
To have a state league football match with no facilities for spectators is just bizarre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they open the cafe to the general public then I’d imagine they’d then need to do a full clean so that it once again was safe for players and staff during the week. Is it worth it? The issue is more likely that alternatives weren’t provided.
Could they divide the cafe into separate areas (With Perspex)?
One area for Public, one for CFC staff/players etc.
Low cost. Two separate serving areas??

Could they divide the cafe into separate areas (With Perspex)?
One area for Public, one for CFC staff/players etc.
Low cost. Two separate serving areas??

Easier option is to just make sure they arrange a couple of cafe vans to offer the service if the inside cafe is going to be inaccessible.

Easier option is to just make sure they arrange a couple of cafe vans to offer the service if the inside cafe is going to be inaccessible.
Yes, I guess so.
The facilities at Vic Park for the AFLW are fine.
One Coffee Van, one food truck, one bar.
Bunch of porta loos From Kenny.

Yes, I guess so.
The facilities at Vic Park for the AFLW are fine.
One Coffee Van, one food truck, one bar.
Bunch of porta loos From Kenny.

Olympic Park still undergoing Reno’s afaik so everything they do is likely a compromise. I noticed they’ve set up relocatables for the away teams change rooms.

Correct.
We left at half time Saturday to go and find some food and drinks, despite planning to spend the afternoon at Collingwood Footscray on our Melbourne trip.
To have a state league football match with no facilities for spectators is just bizarre.

Had Cafe Open but it's very Expensive

I‘m glad it’s back.
As you said…expensive.
They also need a cheap option for families etc who don’t want to pay $20 for a hamburger watching a VFL game.

I 100% Agree that there need to be Cheaper Food and Drinks for Families and most other People who go watch the VFL at AIA Park

I remember going to Vic park years ago and the toilets had no running water. Did they overhaul it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back