Society/Culture No Father's Day...because Diversity

The growing diversity in the forms that families take, and a lack of interest in the occasion from kids themselves, have seen it pass without a mention in many classes this year.​

Apparently, at Annie Dennis Children’s Centre in Northcote that 'recognises the diversity in children’s family situations' they didn't celebrate Father’s Day this year because the kids simply weren’t interested.

Hold on, we are talking about four year olds. They only know about Father's Day because their carers tell them about it. They won't 'be interested' if the carer has the attitude

We don’t bring up Father’s Day because there are children with single and same-sex parents here​
Some kids have RCD, some have no dad and some are from cultures where Father’s Day isn’t really a thing.​

How about the majority of kids who do have a Dad? How about the kids who have two Dads? And why are we changing our culture to suit immigrants rather than them adapt to our ways?

As a Dad of three I've treasured every crappy present and card my kids have given me over the years. Probably up to six 'best Dad' mugs. I've got milk cartons with bits of paper and wools taped to them. I've kept every single card which is a historic record of their handwriting and increasing maturity.

Maybe the Age story was clickbait but fu** them if it was.
Yes it's clickbait.

But did the school stop these kids celebrating the day at home?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
At my sons school:
Mother’s Day, mother’s invited in for morning tea. Kids spend half a day pampering mum including making stuff for her and foot massage

Fathers Day... “oh, well you can give $2 at reception for a small gift” (or something like that)

Bit of an eye opener for me...

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
At my sons school:
Mother’s Day, mother’s invited in for morning tea. Kids spend half a day pampering mum including making stuff for her and foot massage

Fathers Day... “oh, well you can give $2 at reception for a small gift” (or something like that)

I follow the school I did my prac in on FB.
Mothers day - Morning tea, sausage sizzle, cakes, flowers
Fathers day - Didn't even register a mention

I guess they just think fathers are less likely to actually come into the school and participate in such activities, but they could have at least chucked up a 'happy fathers day' message just for show

At my sons school:

That sucks. Change schools? Or join the board/committee/council and make some changes.

My daughter’s kinder did exactly the same thing for fathers day as they did for mothers day, more or less.

Edit: AND they referred to it as Father’s Day, and included a few grandfathers/uncles/stepdads without any fuss or fanfare.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I follow the school I did my prac in on FB.
Mothers day - Morning tea, sausage sizzle, cakes, flowers
Fathers day - Didn't even register a mention

I guess they just think fathers are less likely to actually come into the school and participate in such activities, but they could have at least chucked up a 'happy fathers day' message just for show

Mums are more likely to attend a Mother's Day function as there are many more women than men who choose to not work when their children are young. But that doesn't mean Father's Day should not be celebrated.

And no, it's not a Hallmark event. I treasure the hand drawn cards and crappy craft presents as much as the later bought cards and slippers.

At my sons school:

If I ever need a reminder to be thankful for living in a lovely place I put the baby in a pram and take him down to lakeside shopping centre during the week.

So many women without jobs, without the need of a job, living very well.

That's why fathers day won't ever be as big at schools, for most of those children who have a two parent home dad is working.

At my sons school:

How many dads show up when they hold a father's day morning tea?

Father's Day activities at both my son's schools.

I think you'll find when it comes to The Age, the world ends at Northcote.
Or, anything that happens in Northcote means the end of the world.

How many dads show up when they hold a father's day morning tea?
Heaps would these days. I reckon you’d get at least 50%, if held at the start or end of the day. And not because that many are stay at homers, but because they’d make the effort to be there.

That sucks. Change schools? Or join the board/committee/council and make some changes.

My daughter’s kinder did exactly the same thing for fathers day as they did for mothers day, more or less.

Edit: AND they referred to it as Father’s Day, and included a few grandfathers/uncles/stepdads without any fuss or fanfare.
It’s almost like schools do what fits their community of parents and it’s not such a big deal.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The growing diversity in the forms that families take, and a lack of interest in the occasion from kids themselves, have seen it pass without a mention in many classes this year.​

Apparently, at Annie Dennis Children’s Centre in Northcote that 'recognises the diversity in children’s family situations' they didn't celebrate Father’s Day this year because the kids simply weren’t interested.

Hold on, we are talking about four year olds. They only know about Father's Day because their carers tell them about it. They won't 'be interested' if the carer has the attitude

We don’t bring up Father’s Day because there are children with single and same-sex parents here​
Some kids have RCD, some have no dad and some are from cultures where Father’s Day isn’t really a thing.​

How about the majority of kids who do have a Dad? How about the kids who have two Dads? And why are we changing our culture to suit immigrants rather than them adapt to our ways?

As a Dad of three I've treasured every crappy present and card my kids have given me over the years. Probably up to six 'best Dad' mugs. I've got milk cartons with bits of paper and wools taped to them. I've kept every single card which is a historic record of their handwriting and increasing maturity.

Maybe the Age story was clickbait but fu** them if it was.

Yeah look I am all for diversity, and if a class is going to make father's day cards at school I think that is a great thing. If a child doesn't have a father in their life, then by all means make a card for a step dad, mother, uncle, other special person. It's what most normal schools do.

It's about showing gratitude and respect for a positive adult male role model in your life.

Just ignoring it, because you have perhaps forgotten the value that positive role models pay in children's upbringing, is sad.

And we wonder why we are raising more and more incels / far right nutcase boys.

Back