Society/Culture No Father's Day...because Diversity

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah look I am all for diversity, and if a class is going to make father's day cards at school I think that is a great thing. If a child doesn't have a father in their life, then by all means make a card for a step dad, mother, uncle, other special person. It's what most normal schools do.

It's about showing gratitude and respect for a positive adult male role model in your life.

Just ignoring it, because you have perhaps forgotten the value that positive role models pay in children's upbringing, is sad.

And we wonder why we are raising more and more incels / far right nutcase boys.
Do any schools force their kids to ignore the day entirely?

Not celebrating fathers days simply reinforces stereotypes. The recent high court case for ‘robert’ v RCD shows how this plays out. Reinforcing gender stereotypes

Would be better if anything to have a parents day rather than just cancelling Father’s Day; sounds very Northcote and a little vindictive.

Being a former stay at home dad was at times difficult as others found it confronting and only really became comfortable in the second year sort of. Never really got invited for coffee with the ‘girls’ but ended up making friends with working mums.

All a long time ago now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just ignoring it, because you have perhaps forgotten the value that positive role models pay in children's upbringing, is sad.
It's definitely more fair to assume that it's an issue of forgetting rather than an active attempt to diminish the value of a father to validate the mums who don't have the father of her children around.

Don't know. I'd hope not.
I don’t see how they could. Which makes it a non-event.

Our kids school does the same things for both days.

Horses for courses and I don’t think lack of Father’s Day events will turn a 4 year old into an RWNJ incel.

There could be a resulting culture shift as the single mum life is validated over the two parent household.

People tend to think that someone saying it would be best having two parents in the home is an attack on those who don't, so they don't say it to protect someone from projecting their own feelings.

There could be a resulting culture shift as the single mum life is validated over the two parent household.

People tend to think that someone saying it would be best having two parents in the home is an attack on those who don't, so they don't say it to protect someone from projecting their own feelings.
Depends on the quality of the parent.

Depends on the quality of the parent.
No doubt.

Both boys and girls end up in bad cycles after growing up in broken homes and part of continuing that cycle is the glorification of single motherhood and the diminishing of the role of the other parent.

I don't think marriage is the reason children in those homes have better outcomes, the marriage itself is a symptom of the reason why.

Do any schools force their kids to ignore the day entirely?

As I said in the OP four year olds wouldn't even know about Father's Day if their carers didn't tell them about it. Older kids might be aware of it but not get involved unless there was something organised by the school.

No doubt.

Both boys and girls end up in bad cycles after growing up in broken homes and part of continuing that cycle is the glorification of single motherhood and the diminishing of the role of the other parent.

I don't think marriage is the reason children in those homes have better outcomes, the marriage itself is a symptom of the reason why.
I know a woman who has three kids to three separate dad’s, all her choice to be a single mum, I think at least one of the fathers doesn’t even know he’s a dad. Her eldest is 12 years old, never met his dad, and the word is he’s already reading the manosphere and identifying as an incel.

There’s a lot of damaged boys out there without dad’s being told they are intrinsically worthless. Gonna be a bad scene when it reaches critical mass.

No doubt.

Nah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes.

Boys learn how to treat women by watching how their father interact with their mother. Girls learn what to expect from men from how their father interacts with their mother.

Diminish the role of him and you create boys who don't have a measure of expectation against them for themselves or girls.

Yes.

Boys learn how to treat women by watching how their father interact with their mother. Girls learn what to expect from men from how their father interacts with their mother.

Diminish the role of him and you create boys who don't have a measure of expectation against them for themselves or girls.
I was talking about "glorifying single motherhood".

Ask any young single mum with no family support whether they feel "glorified".

Better to have a single parent family than a family with a dysfunctional relationship between cohabiting parents.

Better to have a single parent family than a family with a dysfunctional relationship between cohabiting parents.
Once upon a time this was the decision, but increasingly women are choosing to have children without male presence because they have left it too long to find a partner, and the time horizons for fertility are rapidly approaching.

I was talking about "glorifying single motherhood".

Ask any young single mum with no family support whether they feel "glorified".

Do the stats back that up or is that another example of living your own way being the best way because yay you?

Do the stats back that up or is that another example of living your own way being the best way because yay you?
It's what my child psychologist friend says, so yay him. Then again, he also says parents overestimate their own day to day effect on their child's personality.

Also, common sense.

And I'm happily married, we have two sons. So yay me.

It's what my child psychologist friend says, so yay him. Then again, he also says parents overestimate their own day to day effect on their child's personality.

Also, common sense.

And I'm happily married, we have two sons. So yay me.
Do you think there is a genetic reason that single mothers tend to have single mother children?

If you can handball the agency to a higher level it absolves so much responsibility.

Works a treat.
If you said increasing education resources didn’t matter because a child’s ability to be educated essentially depends on his or her genetics you’d get strong disagreement from the same people who say fathers don’t matter because behaviour is ultimately mediated by genetics.

If you said increasing education resources didn’t matter because a child’s ability to be educated essentially depends on his or her genetics you’d get strong disagreement from the same people who say fathers don’t matter because behaviour is ultimately mediated by genetics.

These would be the same people who say that a child being exposed to trauma resulting in their violent actions, because they are predisposed to it due to their upbringing, don't deserve as long a prison sentence - as though their inability to choose their violent actions isn't more reason to protect society from them..

The growing diversity in the forms that families take, and a lack of interest in the occasion from kids themselves, have seen it pass without a mention in many classes this year.​

Apparently, at Annie Dennis Children’s Centre in Northcote that 'recognises the diversity in children’s family situations' they didn't celebrate Father’s Day this year because the kids simply weren’t interested.

Hold on, we are talking about four year olds. They only know about Father's Day because their carers tell them about it. They won't 'be interested' if the carer has the attitude

We don’t bring up Father’s Day because there are children with single and same-sex parents here​
Some kids have RCD, some have no dad and some are from cultures where Father’s Day isn’t really a thing.​

How about the majority of kids who do have a Dad? How about the kids who have two Dads? And why are we changing our culture to suit immigrants rather than them adapt to our ways?

As a Dad of three I've treasured every crappy present and card my kids have given me over the years. Probably up to six 'best Dad' mugs. I've got milk cartons with bits of paper and wools taped to them. I've kept every single card which is a historic record of their handwriting and increasing maturity.

Maybe the Age story was clickbait but fu** them if it was.

What did you give your father? Nothing. Me neither. It wasnt always a thing

Also the mothers day is the crappy US one not the real’mothering sunday’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back