No Free kick Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Mollison.png

I’m not one for the “umpires are against us” mentality, but I did find it funny that Powell-Pepper can be suspended for a week for a dangerous tackle on McEvoy in the 4th quarter, yet it wasnt deemed a free kick!

Not 1 single free in the second half was a head scratcher too!

I’ve always gone with the theory that the players make more mistakes that the umps. If we hit every target and made the right decisions 99% of the time, we wouldn’t even worry about a bad call here and there because we’d win every game.

However, I did have a chuckle about this too. It was on the AFL app and just after the tackle he collected the ball and threw himself out of bounds.

The 3 worst displays of umpiring in the last couple of years have been the second half of this game, the last quarter of the North game and the last quarter of the Bulldogs game last year. Mollison umpired in all 3 games. He's either grossly incompetant or grossly unprofessional. Given it's not all his games that are like this, I think it's clear that he doesn't like Hawthorn (and Fremantle - has screwed them over too) and he's just grossly unprofessional. This prick should get the sack.
And that final V Dogs
and the *

The next time there is a podcast with an x-player or a retired player that has played at 2 clubs, would love to ask if they found if they felt the colour of the jumper they were wearing made it harder to gain a free and easier to give away a free. Might go some way to clearing some issues in my mind.

When Buddy left I did wonder if he had seen how the Swans were umpired compared to us. Maybe he saw greener pastures playing for Sydney. I don't have stats but he think he has been given a much better go since he moved.
by the MRP too
he was constantly getting a free against for any contact before the ball came to him at the Hawks not at the AFL$wans

When Buddy left I did wonder if he had seen how the Swans were umpired compared to us. Maybe he saw greener pastures playing for Sydney. I don't have stats but he think he has been given a much better go since he moved.
Its fairly clear that he gets a better run at it. But just want to hear ut comes out of their mouth , Hodge and Birchall at Brisbane, Lewis at melbourne, Mitchell at the Eagles, buddy at the swans. Would be fascinating to hear it out of their mouths one way or the other.

Clearly looked after much better in a Sydney guernsey. He used to get absolutely ripped during games with us.

I mean if anything I think this is it.

Clarko publicly roasted them and some of them are likely to find it harder to be impartial after that. No conspiracy just human nature

100%

I think Clarko made a mistake opening his mouth at press conference. Should have had Kennett or someone else do the job behind the scenes.

What irritates me the most is Hawthorn seem to get pinged quickly for holding the ball when tackle, it’s like they can’t wait to blow the whistle, yet the opposition seemed to have all day to get rid of it and then it’s a ball up.

Holding the Ball rule is the rule we get shafted the most, we never seem to get rewarded, one of the main reason of lopsided free kick counts, we hardly ever get a holding ball decision go our way

Last edited:
Buddy's free kick ratio For:Against is better at the swans, but there had been (and still is) a constant trend upwards in this regard from his first season at hawthorn. So career wise he has had a far better deal in a swans jumper.

Here is his career free for/free against over time

1598253972910.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are now -415 during Clarko’s reign. Clarko has complained harder and more times both behind closed doors and in the public domain about the standard of umpiring in particular interpretation of rules like holding the ball (the one rule we get screwed on the most - no better example than our finals loss to the bulldogs in 2016, 90 or so tackles for 1 holding the ball!!). I think the anti Hawthorn sentiment also goes further back to winning 7 flags between 76-91. A lot of umpires would have grown up like a lot of the media and opposition supporters with I am sick of the Hawks winning attitude. For me it’s never about the ones the opposition get (Port could have got several more) but the blatant ones we don’t receive.

Still annoyed what a joke, either bias or complete incompetence either don't let that flog umpires another game with us

Last night I watched the 1978 GF, and tonight the 1st half of the 1976 GF. The one thing I had forgotten about back then was how easy it was to understand the HTB rule. A player had the ball, was tackled, holding the ball. Simple. None of this "forced out in the tackle" or "prior opportunity" garbage, instant free kick and game flowed beautifully. No players standing there waving their arms around appealing for free kicks, the player tackled, holding the ball, and the game moved on. It was so refreshing to watch. Instant free kicks may be one way to clear some of the congestion in today's game.

Did the AFL tick off the 14- 0 free count Ports way in the second half, or they just didn’t give s..., because it was the Hawks that got shafted.

The annoying thing was how it was addressed by the media. They talked about lopsided free kicks, the fact the Port Adelaide had 14 more frees, but that wasn't the issue. The real issue was that a team could play an entire half of football and not receive a solitary free kick. As usual, the media is too stupid to understand this.

We need to start a petition with afl on a review. It's ridiculous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back