No Free to Air game

Remove this Banner Ad

Say what you like about Fox, calling it a second rate product is laughable. You get every game live and can watch on your TV, PC or any other device.

Not mention the same thing for NRL and cricket. Plus 2x ESPN, 3x BEIN and Sky Racing.

It’ll surprise some but there are in fact people who can’t afford it. But that doesn’t mean it’s a poor product.

Fox coverage is superior than FTA in every way.
Except im not giving a cent to that old fkkk

Im excited by amazon and other online streaming services taking pay sport - cant wait till rupert loses footy and i can get pay without a moral objection

Im excited by amazon and other online streaming services taking pay sport - cant wait till rupert loses footy and i can get pay without a moral objection
This one that comes up I find funny. Half the big companies in the world are run by evil bastards and crooks, if you didn't want anything to do with any of them you would have to live like a hermit hunter out in the bush somewhere. The device you are using now to be on BF is no doubt built by borderline slave labour. Where do you keep you money/savings, buried out in the backyard?

It's almost like people don't understand that FTA is slowly disappearing and that virtually anyone would prefer a free but flawed product over something which they cannot afford.

FTA disappearing has zero to do with your initial point, and whilst it’s still here showing live footy, you’re still getting a better/more available product than what you were getting previously. So no need to “sacrifice” anything.

This one that comes up I find funny. Half the big companies in the world are run by evil bastards and crooks, if you didn't want anything to do with any of them you would have to live like a hermit hunter out in the bush somewhere. The device you are using now to be on BF is no doubt built by borderline slave labour. Where do you keep you money/savings, buried out in the backyard?
Theres levels of evil - that fkkface serves to create and keep a level of human misery rather than just profit from it.

I try my best to avoid s**t companies where i can and minimise my involvement where i cant.

Im not going to live like a peasant - but if theres an alternative - which there is in this case - ie fta tv - i will use it - even if it makes my 4k tv cry.

Theres an app called shop ethical that helps with this

There is a fair gripe in that people would've seen "3:20pm Sunday" and assumed it was a Seven game. It should've been 4:40pm and even Foxtel should've wanted that. Most people in this thread wouldn't have even got pissed off.

Foxtel is as cheap as $39 per month. You can cancel after season. $234 a year if you want AFL and lots of other sport.

AFL live pass is FREE to Telstra customers.

Otherwise its 100 bucks a season.

There will be fewer and fewer FTA games in the future so we all need to deal with the reality and save up whatever per week to see all the games.

when you're already paying for Stan and Netflix (which have a shitload more content than rupert-Tel), an extra 40 a month is nothing to sneeze at. and it's literally useless other than watching footy.

Say what you like about Fox, calling it a second rate product is laughable. You get every game live and can watch on your TV, PC or any other device.

Not mention the same thing for NRL and cricket. Plus 2x ESPN, 3x BEIN and Sky Racing.

It’ll surprise some but there are in fact people who can’t afford it. But that doesn’t mean it’s a poor product.

the fox app is shizenhouzen. poor quality, freezes, bad streams. i assume its better when you have the box, but still reams and reams of garbage content. not sure i'd call it a good product. it's better than channel 7 though thats for sure.

when you're already paying for Stan and Netflix (which have a shitload more content than rupert-Tel), an extra 40 a month is nothing to sneeze at. and it's literally useless other than watching footy.

So buy live pass instead.

Or make a choice between Netflix and Stan and Fox. If your choice is Netflix and Stan so be it.

I’m probably misremembering but what about when Nine and 10 shared coverage? Felt like a lot of games were on.

People wax lyrical about the Ten and Nine era compared to today and I don't get it at all. The Friday night match was delayed, the Saturday afternoon game was delayed in Victoria, the Saturday night game was delayed, the early Sunday game was live, then a second Sunday game was delayed with game time cut out except in WA where it was shown in full but delayed by 3 hours (with a wonderful 1 hour break after the first game ended).

Fair enough if you're arguing for more free-to-air games now but don't pretend the past was fantastic. It sucked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People wax lyrical about the Ten and Nine era compared to today and I don't get it at all. The Friday night match was delayed, the Saturday afternoon game was delayed in Victoria, the Saturday night game was delayed, the early Sunday game was live, then a second Sunday game was delayed with game time cut out except in WA where it was shown in full but delayed by 3 hours (with a wonderful 1 hour break after the first game ended).

Fair enough if you're arguing for more free-to-air games now but don't pretend the past was fantastic. It sucked.

Qld and NSW :
Friday game at midnight
Sunday game at 2am Monday or Tuesday.
Channel 9........shudder

So your priorities lie elsewhere.

What people forget is that FTA is a long term investment in the game by making it available to all.
How does an 8 year old invest in buying a Foxtel subscription, he can’t so does he go to the pub??
Said 8 year old will not ask mum to buy him a footy after watching Dusty don’t argue a defender , he will not join the local footy club under 9s, he will not give a rats arse about footy when he is an adult.

By limiting access or making it pay per view will come back to bite years from now and it will be a hard recovery.

Who would have thought this thread would be so full of conflict. You just cant pick them sometlmes.

On topic I watched on Fox. I am confused as some of the FTA selections. We often seem to get the lowest rated game on Saturday night as well.
Friday nights, our games and Swans games are reliably FTA so I guess that's something.

If the AFL want to publicise the game on a Sunday afternoon where most of Melbourne was inside on a wintry day it should be on free to air.

3 of 9 games live on Free to Air for your premier football competition in the country isn't enough.

Same deal next Sunday with Collingwood v Carlton.

G'day everyone,

Toump the Tight Arse here with a friendly tip on watching the big games... for FREE!!!

1. Sign up for a two week FOXTEL NOW trial (https://www.foxtel.com.au/now/shop.html)
2. Watch game
3. Cancel FOXTEL NOW trial before your two week trial period is up.
4. Repeat.

You'll need a different credit card each time you sign up- so borrow your friends, sisters, partners, mothers, etc. every time there's a game that's not on FTA you want to watch.

If you have run out of cards then go the pub, grab a pint and a meal and a couple of friends and watch the game there.

As an alternative to watching football, here's some other FUN things to do on a cold and wet weekend:

1. Drive out to the bush and collect psilocybin mushrooms.
2. Have sex with someone you love (or someone you don't love, doesn't matter really).
3. Go to the cinemas- Toump's Top Movie Picks right now include: HEREDITARY, JURASSIC WHATEVER ITS CALLED, HAN SOLO etc.
4. Catch up on the housework, homework, business work or gardening.
5. Tag your local train station.
6. Develop a stand up comedy routine for your next open mic night.
7. Shitpost on bigfooty.
8. Listen to the game on the radio
9. Get ******* s**t-faced
I played with rocks and my imagination.
This.

This always makes me chuckle. Yeah, I get that you don't want to give money to the Murdoch family. But if you think Amazon, Facebook, Twitter or any other online service will produce a superior product at a comparable price, think again. The cost return for such a company to get involved on a large scale would be non-existent. The reason Foxtel can charge an affordable price is because they have a high number of customers who pay for other channels or shows, that are less costly to produce. The chance of any online streaming company making a serious dent in TV rights is ridiculously small.

When I was a kid the only footy on tv was 7s Big league on a Saturday night which was a 2hr highlights show and then on Sunday the Swans home game would alternate with the army reserve cup.

Later came delayed Friday nights and WC adelaide games.

Footy was insanely popular so I'm not the sure the argument that a kid needs to have every game live on fta to get interested in footy holds up.

They didn't know it was going to be a crap winter day when they did the scheduling. C7 average 3.5 live games I think it is, with only 6 games this week having 3 live is pretty good, they chose Thursday night over Sunday. TV is a business not a public service.

What people forget is that FTA is a long term investment in the game by making it available to all.
How does an 8 year old invest in buying a Foxtel subscription, he can’t so does he go to the pub??
Said 8 year old will not ask mum to buy him a footy after watching Dusty don’t argue a defender , he will not join the local footy club under 9s, he will not give a rats arse about footy when he is an adult.

By limiting access or making it pay per view will come back to bite years from now and it will be a hard recovery.

Based on this I'm surprised anyone played or was interested in the game pre 90's.

This always makes me chuckle. Yeah, I get that you don't want to give money to the Murdoch family. But if you think Amazon, Facebook, Twitter or any other online service will produce a superior product at a comparable price, think again. The cost return for such a company to get involved on a large scale would be non-existent. The reason Foxtel can charge an affordable price is because they have a high number of customers who pay for other channels or shows, that are less costly to produce. The chance of any online streaming company making a serious dent in TV rights is ridiculously small.
First flaw in your argument - foxtel have only recently started charging a price close to affordable.

Second flaw - less costly to produce?

You mean like got and the walking dead etc?

Third flaw - id happily pay more - i dont like rupert. I own a company that amongst other things supplies/ installs all forms of pay tv apparatus from apple tv, kodi boxes, google chrome etc - i can have fox set up and tax deductable - cost isnt the object - rupert is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back