No Free to Air game

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Say what you like about Fox, calling it a second rate product is laughable. You get every game live and can watch on your TV, PC or any other device.

Not mention the same thing for NRL and cricket. Plus 2x ESPN, 3x BEIN and Sky Racing.

It’ll surprise some but there are in fact people who can’t afford it. But that doesn’t mean it’s a poor product.
It's all relative really.

$39 a month for someone who has nothing else in their life other than sport sounds like a bargain.

$460 annually for someone who wants to watch 3 or 4 non-FTA games a year, has no interest in ESPN or BEIN (whatever that is) and actively dislikes cricket, NRL and horse racing is a fair bit of cash.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s more about kids - the under 16s. They’re a huge part of the AFL’s target market - many would the most important part - and don’t have a say whether there’s Foxtel in the house.

And it’s not like they can just go down to the pub.
Exactly. Basically from when I started watching footy right through until I finished high school we did not have Foxtel. My old man refused to buy it as he saw it as a waste of money and Carlton was always mediocre.

Many kids would be in a similar boat to what I was, although there are more ways that are cheaper and don't lock you in these days, but plenty of parents still wouldn't be signing up.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
First flaw in your argument - foxtel have only recently started charging a price close to affordable.

Second flaw - less costly to produce?

You mean like got and the walking dead etc?

Third flaw - id happily pay more - i dont like rupert. I own a company that amongst other things supplies/ installs all forms of pay tv apparatus from apple tv, kodi boxes, google chrome etc - i can have fox set up and tax deductable - cost isnt the object - rupert is
It's always been affordable. Affordability is dependent on the individual.

Completely different market. You're comparing apples with oranges. Any form of online streaming will be through a partnership, controlled by the AFL. They already have a valid service for $100 a year, they would be insane to outsource it.

Congratulations. Best of luck to yourself and your company. You are not representative of the entire population :thumbsu:

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Was there that many games back in the day on FTA?

I remember rugby league up here you had sat arvo and a Sunday delayed game. That was it until the Friday night game came in and then foxsports kicked off a little later on.

Theres def more fta footy now than ever before up here.

Was the VFL all on tv in the 80s/early 90s?

If it wasnt I dont see what the fuss is about.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

foxtel have only recently started charging a price close to affordable.

Sport pack has been $50 (+/- $10 & $10 for HD) for a long time, which is fair, and I’d wager there’s at least another sport or 2 people are interested in on Foxtel.

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
pre-Foxtel, Ch7 in the southern heartland states had 1-3 live games per week, but they also had a lot of 1-2 hr highlights packages and delayed/late night replays which covered a lot of the other games as well.... so your side would appear on FTA quite often in some capacity.... whether it be a LIVE game, a full delayed/replay of the game, or condensed highlights

now its just LIVE games on FTA since the current Internet era produces poor ratings for replays/highlights, so they don't do them anymore....

Last edited:

Dusky

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Just find a mate to go halves with and share a Foxtel Now account as two devices can play at the same time.

If your TV doesn't have the Foxtel Now app available just by a Telstra TV media player from Gumtree.

$20 each per month will get you every AFL/League game in glorious HD.

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
People wax lyrical about the Ten and Nine era compared to today and I don't get it at all. The Friday night match was delayed, the Saturday afternoon game was delayed in Victoria, the Saturday night game was delayed, the early Sunday game was live, then a second Sunday game was delayed with game time cut out except in WA where it was shown in full but delayed by 3 hours (with a wonderful 1 hour break after the first game ended).

Fair enough if you're arguing for more free-to-air games now but don't pretend the past was fantastic. It sucked.

Jumpers for goalposts...

JCHolmes

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
My mate hooked up a free two week trial with just his email just so we could watch the Tigers play the Cats yesterday. It'l be someone elses turn in a few weeks. But seriously, its a pretty decent product tbh. Easily worth the money if you watch enough sport.

Highest rating fox game of the year 368,000. Easily beat ANZAC day.

Not really a surprise I’d say, wasn’t shown against 7 and the day was awful - plenty of people staying inside with the heater on.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)

I remember rugby league up here you had sat arvo and a Sunday delayed game. That was it until the Friday night game came in and then foxsports kicked off a little later on.

In the 90s, they only had a delayed telecast of Friday and Saturday night, with a highlight package on the sunday.

When 9/10 got the rights, it was live against the gate on Friday and Saturday, and live early game on Sunday, with a highlight package at 4-6

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
In the 90s, they only had a delayed telecast of Friday and Saturday night, with a highlight package on the sunday.

When 9/10 got the rights, it was live against the gate on Friday and Saturday, and live early game on Sunday, with a highlight package at 4-6
Sooo fta is better now.

Plus with the added option of streaming(for free if with telstra) and or paying for an entire channel of non stop footy with all games live.

What am I missing here?

maskmcgee

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2017
The Windy Apple
AFL Club
Essendon
Sooo fta is better now.

No, its not.

1. 7 not 10 has the rights.

2002 - 2006 - 5/8 games on F2A (Friday, 2 Saturday, 2 Sunday) (+ 10 with rights to every final means 7 not ruining games with countdown clocks.)
2007 - 2011 - 4/8 games on F2A (Friday, 2 Saturday, Sunday)
2012 - 2016 - 4/9 games on F2A (Friday, 2 Saturday, Sunday)
2017 - 2022 - 3/9 games on F2A (Friday, Saturday Night, Sunday Afternoon) + 11 Thursday Night/Special matches (such as ANZAC Day).

Not only has coverage got worse but there are less games. The issue here is that 7 should have broadcast that game on Sunday regardless, since the Thursday night game is included in their contract.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
No, its not.

2002 - 2006 - 5/8 games on F2A (Friday, 2 Saturday, 2 Sunday) (+ 10 with rights to every final means 7 not ruining games with countdown clocks.)
2017 - 2022 - 3/9 games on F2A (Friday, Saturday Night, Sunday Afternoon) + 11 Thursday Night/Special matches (such as ANZAC Day).

Not only has coverage got worse but there are less games. The issue here is that 7 should have broadcast that game on Sunday regardless, since the Thursday night game is included in their contract.
Wasnt talking about quality
Fta always sucks.

But you get what you pay for.

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast

Friday and Saturday were still delayed... live against the gate night games didn't start until this decade

CatFan79

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
Just find a mate to go halves with and share a Foxtel Now account as two devices can play at the same time.

If your TV doesn't have the Foxtel Now app available just by a Telstra TV media player from Gumtree.

$20 each per month will get you every AFL/League game in glorious HD.

Exactly what I do.

I rekon you'd be amazed what some of these whingers waste a lot more than $20 a month on.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
No, its not.

They had more games but there was a hell of a lot more of them telecast on delay which sucks arse.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne

It varied a lot.
In Tas in the 90s on some weekends we could get a Friday game, a Saturday game on delay (after the TFL game), a Saturday night, sometimes another game on replay afterwards, a Sunday game, and often the second half of another Sunday game. Add another game if it was a long weekend.
On rare occasions you might only get one or two if there was Olympics or something else on. Usually four in full (some delayed) and half of at least one other game - often a Perth game. And that was back when there was just the one channel and seven games a round pre-Freo.

Back