No games at the MCG first week of the finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

If Geelong can guarantee 40,000 tickets for Pies members/supporters and 20,000 tickets for the AFL, then they will be allowed to play at the Cattery.

Why should they? That doesn't happen when finals are played in Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth or Sydney. Why is Geelong different. They aren't a Melbourne club.

I know this 100% belongs in the unpopular opinions thread but the solution here is no team should have the MCG as their home ground. Yes, I know my own club has benefitted from the G being our home ground but you can lay the blame of that situation, 100% at the hands of the AFL who decided to shut down Waverley. Our board was smart enough to call the AFL's bluff and ensure we got the better deal at the G. Well played Ian Dicker.

So I'd build another ground at the Showgrounds with say a 60,000 capacity - there's already infrastructure there that gets 100,000 to the races so there would be no issue in terms of getting people in and out. All teams could rotate through the G, Marvel and the Showgrounds without fans missing out on seeing their team. Geelong could have their non MCG home games in Geelong.

Come finals time - finals are played in the home state of the higher ranked sides. It was the original thinking behind VFL Park. A neutral venue that everyone would get to play with the Grand Final being played there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how their were no complaints about the 2007 preliminary final being at the MCG, it was only after their finals record went to s**t that it suddenly became an issue.
So you wanna discuss finals records, where would you like to begin?

Funny how their were no complaints about the 2007 preliminary final being at the MCG, it was only after their finals record went to s**t that it suddenly became an issue.
That factually incorrect. It all changed when we got a home final in 2013.

With the 100 finals you hosted at the MCG from 1897 to 2012 without any complaints
I don’t complain, I agree, when Geelong has been good enough they have made grand finals and won grand finals, and when they haven’t they don’t…… you know what I see more of though, oppositions fans complaining about the 5% of cats fans who complain about home finals at the G

Why should they? That doesn't happen when finals are played in Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth or Sydney. Why is Geelong different. They aren't a Melbourne club.

I think you will find the AFL does actually require the home team to make a heap of tickets available.

Plus, the rule says the home team gets a game in their state, not their home ground. So the AFL is always within their rights to play games at the MCG if a Vic team gets the home ground.

The corrupt MCG Deal is far more important than Geelong getting an earnt home final.
prison bars, grand finals, home games. it's a joke.

There's no reason why the AFL grand final can't be rotated (even years at the MCG, odd years rotated between QLD/NSW/SA/WA), except for the AFL being stubborn

There's no reason why the AFL should dictate where clubs play home games, whilst allowing others to pick and choose, and allowing some clubs to have contracts for where they play away games (looking at you Pies @ MCG)

There's no reason why Port can't wear the prison bars except for away games vs Collingwood. It's a completely different jumper.

With the 100 finals you hosted at the MCG from 1897 to 2012 without any complaints
Back when the MCG was a neutral venue that 10/12 clubs didn't play games at before ground rationalisation. Times have changed, now 14/18 clubs play home finals at their home ground. What about the other 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back