No Geelong banner for the year

Remove this Banner Ad

TEDDY24INC

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Mt.evelyn
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong has ditched their banner this year after AFL gives green light to recommence, all other 17 clubs have decided they will have one.. Not popular with kids in my household and I can’t see a logical reason for it, discuss

Last edited:
The AFL have given the green light for them, all other 17 clubs are doing them, yet our club has decided to can them for the year and replace with a guard of honour.
Now this may not be a big deal for some, but I believe it is another example of our clubs administration further losing touch with members and the community. Banners are a long term tradition and hold a very symbolic meaning to attending an AFL match. Kids love watching them go up and the players bursting through them.
I have no idea why the club has made this decision as they haven’t given a reason when probed, yet it follows a worrying trend of administration decisions of late.

I wonder if given all the talk around how the cheer squad and Catman stuff went down, the club might have wanted to wind back cheer squad stuff for the moment, if only to de-politicise the group a bit and reduce their interactions. Plus it's not a bad idea to reduce risks during a pandemic even if we're mostly fine in that regard.

Banners will be back in no time

I wonder if given all the talk around how the cheer squad and Catman stuff went down, the club might have wanted to wind back cheer squad stuff for the moment, if only to de-politicise the group a bit and reduce their interactions. Plus it's not a bad idea to reduce risks during a pandemic even if we're mostly fine in that regard.

That seems like a really long bow a banner been politicised.. and the health risk I can’t have, given it’s been given the all clear, all 17 other clubs are doing it.
Gold Coast will banner up at our home game this week, we’ll roll out some tumble weed.

That seems like a really long bow a banner been politicised.. and the health risk I can’t have, given it’s been given the all clear, all 17 other clubs are doing it.
Gold Coast will banner up at our home game this week, we’ll roll out some tumble weed.

Well, the banner is produced by the cheer squad. I can definitely see the club reducing cheer squad involvement while there's so much heat around their behaviour at the moment.

Give them a chance to cool their jets a bit, reset and come back next year when it's safer to do so

Well, the banner is produced by the cheer squad. I can definitely see the club reducing cheer squad involvement while there's so much heat around their behaviour at the moment.

Give them a chance to cool their jets a bit, reset and come back next year when it's safer to do so
I haven’t heard any heat around them? If so why ask them to be involved in a guard of honour?
It’s not all about them, what about the kids?

What is with these Geelong supporters who for years, hanged crap on those who had differing views of the club/players, only to start criticizing the club themselves?

Hypocrisy at it's finest Teddy :thumbsu:

What is with these Geelong supporters who for years, hanged crap on those who had differing views of the club/players, only to start criticizing the club themselves?

Hypocrisy at it's finest Teddy :thumbsu:
Um, if I criticised someone’s view of the club or player it’s because I disagreed with their opinion.. I am now criticising the club because I disagree with their opinion, or decision if you you will.
If anything I’m being consistent👍🏼

The AFL have given the green light for them, all other 17 clubs are doing them, yet our club has decided to can them for the year and replace with a guard of honour.
Now this may not be a big deal for some, but I believe it is another example of our clubs administration further losing touch with members and the community. Banners are a long term tradition and hold a very symbolic meaning to attending an AFL match. Kids love watching them go up and the players bursting through them.
I have no idea why the club has made this decision as they haven’t given a reason when probed, yet it follows a worrying trend of administration decisions of late.

My kid started going to games for the first time last year. Does not even know what a banner is. It’s kind of sad.

What’s the issue with their behaviour?

Nah mate, you were a serial pest to those who voiced a differing opinion for years.
I see you are now very concerned with the direction the club's administration is heading down. Why the change in view all of a sudden?
And of all things, the bloody cheer squad banner!
Ok, you obviously don’t like a differing opinion and hold onto grudges. I’ve never abused or trolled anyone so if I have somehow offended you I’m sorry.
It’s not about the banner in isolation, it’s a culmination of these things. The club hasn’t covered themselves in glory the way they’ve reconnected with members who stuck fat last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seem to widely varied reports of what happened to Catman. Am surprised there’s not a tread on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here's what came from Troy/Catman's facebook post, apparently. Whether it's a true version of events or not is debatable:

"So now I'm free to speak, let me tell you about my 2019 suspension . Long story but I'll try and keep it relatively short.
So the issues started when I went above my cheer squad's head and wrote a personal letter to Gillon Mc Lachlan to throw the 1.6m flag size limit out the window. I was at a practise game and a cheer squad official was walking up and down the aisles with a tape measure and scissors and cutting down any flags that were oversized. Pathetic!! So that's why I wrote the letter.

Gillion threw out the rule and got an AFL rep to talk to me to discuss the new flag size. She said" what do you want? Four metres"? Shocked( was thinking maybe two or three max lol) I agreed quickly!

My cheer squad was very upset with me because I didn't go through them, the proper channels, to go to the AFL CHEER SQUAD LEAGUE to propose it. Why would I go through them when they were busy cutting down flags? As if they'd represent me?My cheer squad are very very VERRRYY strict on following the guidelines set by the AFL.

So the new rule came in. The cheer squad was furious with me but they had to adhere to the new rule. That started the whole problem. I became a target for every rule breach while others were left alone.

I was reported and reprimanded for:

Talking during the game! I kid you not. Taken up the back and told" there's been reports of you talking during the game. You have a target on your back. Be mindful of that!"

Talking during the game is what everyone does.

I was reported for being on my phone during the game . Having an on air tantrum after a bad goal decision. Waving my flag one row outside the designated cheer squad area.

So I got sick of the agenda against me and demanded a special meeting with the club and cheer squad to fix the problems. That went ok. But didn't change a thing. So certain members were elevated to committee positions and it went from bad to worse. I could go on for hours but I'll short cut to the suspension.
So certain members of the cheer squad sabotaged my equipment and cut down my PVC flagpoles and left one back at the storage unit so I couldn't wave my big flag. The person who did it sat there watching me to see whether I'd have a tantrum. I didn't. So I started bringing my own poles through the stadium gates. You're only allowed 1.6 m flags through the turnstiles. I had no other choice because they had ruined my poles. So on this particular day at Etihad stadium, some member/s of my own cheer squad rang Etihad stadium before the game to say that I'd be coming in the turnstile with oversized flags. I get to the cheer squad area and security stopped me. They were already on their phone and I could hear them muttering that I had arrived! I mean , who does that to their own members? So the stadium security boss came to explain it to me. Then the AFL integrity Officer was called to come and explain the situation as well. So I couldn't wave my flag. They let me in still but no flags! Some of those cheer squad members were watching and smirking at me. I was livid. But said NOTHING! I instead sent an angry email to the cheer squad.

So I get called into the club. A high ranking club official tore strips off me bringing me to tears and told me I was under investigation.

I don't know if you know this but our club has its own court system. So off to court I went with my defence, character references, character support people and had to face the investigation officer and a club lawyer. Present my case. They take it away and the judge hands down the penalty. I got off the Etihad charge as their version wasn't accurate to the exact truth. Mine was! But I got a years suspension for the disrespectful and provocative email. So that was the first nail in my coffin for leaving. Stay tuned for the next installment...."

Sounds petty enough to be believable though :p

Here's what came from Troy/Catman's facebook post, apparently. Whether it's a true version of events or not is debatable:

"So now I'm free to speak, let me tell you about my 2019 suspension . Long story but I'll try and keep it relatively short.
So the issues started when I went above my cheer squad's head and wrote a personal letter to Gillon Mc Lachlan to throw the 1.6m flag size limit out the window. I was at a practise game and a cheer squad official was walking up and down the aisles with a tape measure and scissors and cutting down any flags that were oversized. Pathetic!! So that's why I wrote the letter.

Gillion threw out the rule and got an AFL rep to talk to me to discuss the new flag size. She said" what do you want? Four metres"? Shocked( was thinking maybe two or three max lol) I agreed quickly!

My cheer squad was very upset with me because I didn't go through them, the proper channels, to go to the AFL CHEER SQUAD LEAGUE to propose it. Why would I go through them when they were busy cutting down flags? As if they'd represent me?My cheer squad are very very VERRRYY strict on following the guidelines set by the AFL.

So the new rule came in. The cheer squad was furious with me but they had to adhere to the new rule. That started the whole problem. I became a target for every rule breach while others were left alone.

I was reported and reprimanded for:

Talking during the game! I kid you not. Taken up the back and told" there's been reports of you talking during the game. You have a target on your back. Be mindful of that!"

Talking during the game is what everyone does.

I was reported for being on my phone during the game . Having an on air tantrum after a bad goal decision. Waving my flag one row outside the designated cheer squad area.

So I got sick of the agenda against me and demanded a special meeting with the club and cheer squad to fix the problems. That went ok. But didn't change a thing. So certain members were elevated to committee positions and it went from bad to worse. I could go on for hours but I'll short cut to the suspension.
So certain members of the cheer squad sabotaged my equipment and cut down my PVC flagpoles and left one back at the storage unit so I couldn't wave my big flag. The person who did it sat there watching me to see whether I'd have a tantrum. I didn't. So I started bringing my own poles through the stadium gates. You're only allowed 1.6 m flags through the turnstiles. I had no other choice because they had ruined my poles. So on this particular day at Etihad stadium, some member/s of my own cheer squad rang Etihad stadium before the game to say that I'd be coming in the turnstile with oversized flags. I get to the cheer squad area and security stopped me. They were already on their phone and I could hear them muttering that I had arrived! I mean , who does that to their own members? So the stadium security boss came to explain it to me. Then the AFL integrity Officer was called to come and explain the situation as well. So I couldn't wave my flag. They let me in still but no flags! Some of those cheer squad members were watching and smirking at me. I was livid. But said NOTHING! I instead sent an angry email to the cheer squad.

So I get called into the club. A high ranking club official tore strips off me bringing me to tears and told me I was under investigation.

I don't know if you know this but our club has its own court system. So off to court I went with my defence, character references, character support people and had to face the investigation officer and a club lawyer. Present my case. They take it away and the judge hands down the penalty. I got off the Etihad charge as their version wasn't accurate to the exact truth. Mine was! But I got a years suspension for the disrespectful and provocative email. So that was the first nail in my coffin for leaving. Stay tuned for the next installment...."

Sounds petty enough to be believable though :p
Bloody hell. Didn't know so much went on behind the scenes.
They're more insane than I thought

Remove this Banner Ad

Back