No Glendinning medal = about time

Remove this Banner Ad

The Fewster Hynes Carroll medal has a nice ring to it
No room for Harding and Metropolis in there?

Godden, Schofield, Kickett and Watters played in Derbies for Fremantle and also played with West Coast, and Retzlaff (any relation?) played for both
clubs but never played in a Derby. Schofield also played for West Coast against Fremantle prior to his move to Port Adelaide.

No anti freo piece from PR or Channel Eagle is complete without them including Haselby jumping in with some negative comment. He just seems to get more and more bitter every year.

I listened to it for about half an hour. Hasleby thought there was scope for renaming of the medal, but that wasn't his issue. He thought that there should always be a medal for the best player in a Western Derby and he's probably ticked off because he's got 4 of them.

Karl on the other hand is typically clueless. Someone rang up about Glendinning overriding the voting but they wrongly cited the Chris Judd medal that didn't go to Josh Carr. Hasleby corrected that it was the Ashley Sampi/Michael Gardiner medal swap and then Langdon gave the explanation that Glendinning could do that because he had his own vote that could change the result.

Because Glendening is a campaigner and represents nothing about Freo. If you are going to have a combined medal it needs to be named after someone who represents both clubs or a WA footy legend with no affiliation to either.
Haselby was saying he was part of freos selection committee around 2000. A few are annoyed.

I reckon people are getting a little carried away with the ceremonial stuff. At the end of the game I sometimes wait for the best player announcement but generally I'm already headed off to the bar for a drink. As for the trophy who gives a rats. Leading up to the trophy presentation you would think both the teams lost by their body language out on the ground. They couldn't give a rats about that and neither could I TBH.
The other week when Collingwood beat Adelaide Steel Sidebottom was awarded a medal back in the rooms by Jeanne Pratt (Im not even sure what it was called). Maybe they could do something low key like that and do away with the pompous fanfare?

Its the end of WC running the WAFC. No more is the WA headquarters housing the Eagles offices.What a joke that was. Freo couldn't have a closed training session at Subi because of the Eagle eyes watching . Freo can now have a true closed session. The naming of a wing after one of their so called fallen heroes, what a sick joke, gone . And a derby medal named after an East Perth and WC player and captain. Another insult and joke, gone. If Freo had kept the medal by another name there would have still been the bleating from the Eagles faithful. The club has done the right thing cutting the ties. Hale Optus oval and the new beginning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its the end of WC running the WAFC. No more is the WA headquarters housing the Eagles offices.What a joke that was. Freo couldn't have a closed training session at Subi because of the Eagle eyes watching . Freo can now have a true closed session. The naming of a wing after one of their so called fallen heroes, what a sick joke, gone . And a derby medal named after an East Perth and WC player and captain. Another insult and joke, gone. If Freo had kept the medal by another name there would have still been the bleating from the Eagles faithful. The club has done the right thing cutting the ties. Hale Optus oval and the new beginning.
Can't like this comment enough.

Another thought. Why can't Eagles have the Glendinning Medal for their home game and we have something else?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Theres pressure coming from everywhere. Please Freo youve made the call, dont back flip.

I think our players are more focused on trying to win a premiership medal. Haz can live off his glendening medals but i'm pretty sure if freo start winning flags he will realize that most people just don't care about them

I have no issue with not having a medal for the derby games - over last 6 years they have no where near the same importance for either teams as they did in freo's early days (first 10 years) when we were struggling. It was always over rated and controversial after Glendening started choosing who he thought was best eagle player over what the 3 judges picked...

I'd much rather be getting into TNT straight away and have the stadium rocking to that than worrying about seeing a medal presentation.

Eagles centric media are going to try and make a big deal about this, in part to deflect how poorly the weagles played against the blues last week.

Yep because the comments here are much more rational, not bitter and twisted at all.

You lot have lost control of footy headquarters , Optus is now truly neutral . A medal named after an East Perth and Eagles captain was an insult to all who follow Freo. Its all gone incl the sick joke that was the Mainwaring wing. Get over it.

Is it the only award in football where a committee can be over-ruled by one person?
I'd keep it simple - name it after the inaugural captains from the first Derby. Worsfold-Allen Medal
I'm all for this. I think an eagle fan had the same suggestion on the main board yesterday.
Abbreviated to the WA medal. Makes sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back