Other All things Snooker

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately, NR got blanked by Selby. Ronnie knocked in 4 tons as he blanked Xiao in the Quarter final.

Back to the Warhammer minitures, Neil.

Thanks for the updates, STFU Donnie. With the weekend here I should be able to watch the remaining matches.

Ronnie in cracking form and will be impossible to beat if that form keeps up.

Against anybody but Selby, and I'd agree. But Selby seems to know the magic formula for beating Ronnie. I'll be cheering for Ding in their semi.

Cannot see Ding beating Ronnie in the final but would love it to happen.

Ding struggles against Ronnie in ranking finals and the last time they met in a ranking tournament final Ronnie smashed him 9-3 in the Welsh open.

Cannot see Ding beating Ronnie in the final but would love it to happen.

Ding struggles against Ronnie in ranking finals and the last time they met in a ranking tournament final Ronnie smashed him 9-3 in the Welsh open.

That final included Ronnie's 12th (!!) maximum break. In it he played one of the greatest shots ever - a deep screw on the final red with his opposite hand. Sorry about the aspect ratio, but enjoy anyway.

Have either of you seen The Rack Pack? It's a TV movie about the rivalry between Steve Davis and Alex Higgins in the early '80s. It's pretty good.

Have either of you seen The Rack Pack? It's a TV movie about the rivalry between Steve Davis and Alex Higgins in the early '80s. It's pretty good.

No not yet and totally forgot about that and thanks for the reminder.

Alex Higgins is my favourite player of all time and i loved the campaigner he had in him and never took s**t from nobody even the governing body!

He is/was a dead set freak in a time Snooker was massive around the world.

He was his own worst enemy many times too. He should have won the 1980 WC against Cliff Thorburn, and with the winning post in sight started celebrating and playing up to the crowd. It was very disrespectful of his opponent, and The Grinder made him pay.

His 69 break against Jimmy White in the decider of the 1982 WC SF was an amazing clearance and contained another of the greatest shots ever - the work he got on the cueball when potting the blue at the 2:54 mark was awesome.

EDIT: That shot was on your video too! For some reason I couldn't play it at first. Had to reload YouTube?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We shouldn't underestimate just how hard that shot was. It was in 1982 with 1982 snooker table cloths. The standard of play has improved dramatically since then and the major tournaments recloth the tables frequently. For example, in a major ranking event such as the WGP we have been discussing, the match table will be reclothed specially for the semifinals and final.

It has allowed for greater control of the cueball and seen the explosion of break building. Ray Reardon is my all time snooker hero and one of the all time greats. A six time world champion, and yet he hit only 53 century breaks in his entire career! Ronnie has hit 56 this season already! And Robertson managed 103 in the 2013/14 season.

We shouldn't underestimate just how hard that shot was. It was in 1982 with 1982 snooker table cloths. The standard of play has improved dramatically since then and the major tournaments recloth the tables frequently. For example, in a major ranking event such as the WGP we have been discussing, the match table will be reclothed specially for the semifinals and final.

It has allowed for greater control of the cueball and seen the explosion of break building. Ray Reardon is my all time snooker hero and one of the all time greats. A six time world champion, and yet he hit only 53 century breaks in his entire career! Ronnie has hit 56 this season already! And Robertson managed 103 in the 2013/14 season.

Exactly and also the biggest change was when the WSPA ( Early 80's ) changed the pocket templates from 82mm openings to the 85mm that we see today for TV and bigger breaks.

Yes, seen it! I did enjoy it - and there are some very memorable moments in there (eg Steve walking into the club and asking about the state of the tables). From memory it came out at a time when World Snooker was really making sure that the story of that era was getting consolidated so I was a little wary of the exercise.

Ronnie prevailed 10-3 against Ding, who was well below his best; playing Selby tends to be a sapping experience. Ronnie also took a long time to get going. He made more mistakes in the first few frames than he has all year. Still managed to knock in 3 tons.

His 32nd ranking title, and 4th this season.

Ronnie prevailed 10-3 against Ding, who was well below his best; playing Selby tends to be a sapping experience. Ronnie also took a long time to get going. He made more mistakes in the first few frames than he has all year. Still managed to knock in 3 tons.

His 32nd ranking title, and 4th this season.

Not a great match. Good thing the Welsh Open is up next with matches featuring Dominic Dale, Kurt Dunham, Jimmy White, and Mark Allen on the horizon.

Not a great match. Good thing the Welsh Open is up next with matches featuring Dominic Dale, Kurt Dunham, Jimmy White, and Mark Allen on the horizon.

Don't forget Ken Doherty. He's one of my favourites.

As for last night's match, you just have to compare the semis to see what Ding had to endure against Selby. A best of 11 match that took 4h 45 min!! Ronnie's match against Maguire was 2h shorter.

Ronnie at it again. Won the Players Championship overnight. His 5th ranking title of the season.

Check out the shot at 2:02:40. You'll barely believe your eyes!

Mixed bag for Ronnie at the China Open. Lost 6-2 to Elliott Slessor, and played really poorly for the most. But he still managed this - no. 14.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back